Cooking on the agenda...

petitepedal

Probably early evening after my girlfriend and her daughter leave...there was a recipe on Facebook from..lord only knows where for roasted cauliflower...that will help use the giant cauliflower head I bought yesterday.  I also have a bean & corn salsa like Suzie made when I visited.  I plan to make humus and I have to saute some swiss chard....that should cover them first half of the week...then I am gonna do a recipe from my new Moosewood cookbook...probably Tuesday or Wednesday night..using more of the cauliflower, sweet potatoes, lentils, red peppers and coconut milk......we shall see.

Trying to do more veggies and less meat...wish me luck.

• Heart 2

So..my company left about 8 PM..I did saute' the swiss chard :nod head:   And I made the humus earlier...but didn't get the cauliflower cooked...maybe tomorrow night.  My girlfriend is gonna see the the coop has black mustard and the other two ingredients I need for the lentil, sweet potato & cauliflower dish I hope to make...that might nt happen til Thursday.. :whistle:

We are going to need the recipe for that.

It's pretty easy. There's not really a recipe, but here's how I did it. Steam the cauliflower until it was soft and then mashed it. Start with 2 cups of the mash, add 1/2 cup of flour (I use soy flour to lower the carbs and up the protien). Add one egg white (or a whole egg if you prefer). If you are not on a low sodium diet you can add salt, a little garlic powder ups the taste as well. Mix everything up and let it sit for 15 minutes. This lets the flour absorb the moisture and give the dough a better texture. Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray and spread the dough out evenly. Preheat the oven to 400F (I do it on a stone on my grill). Bake the crust until it starts to firm up and starts to brown around the edges (about 15 minutes). Pull it out, top it however you like, and put it back in until the toppings are cooked.

• Heart 2

It's pretty easy. There's not really a recipe, but here's how I did it. Steam the cauliflower until it was soft and then mashed it. Start with 2 cups of the mash, add 1/2 cup of flour (I use soy flour to lower the carbs and up the protien). Add one egg white (or a whole egg if you prefer). If you are not on a low sodium diet you can add salt, a little garlic powder ups the taste as well. Mix everything up and let it sit for 15 minutes. This lets the flour absorb the moisture and give the dough a better texture. Spray a pizza pan with cooking spray and spread the dough out evenly. Preheat the oven to 400F (I do it on a stone on my grill). Bake the crust until it starts to firm up and starts to brown around the edges (about 15 minutes). Pull it out, top it however you like, and put it back in until the toppings are cooked.

Ok, that sounds like far less maintenance than using a cheesecloth to get rid of the moisture in the cauliflower.  Does it taste vaguely like pizza dough with the flour?

Ok, that sounds like far less maintenance than using a cheesecloth to get rid of the moisture in the cauliflower.  Does it taste vaguely like pizza dough with the flour?

It helps. There's no substitute for the bite and flavor of the real thing, but this works out better than the zucchini did. You can actually pick it up. I really crave the real stuff, but right now I need to stay away from the carbs and sodium.

Most of the recipes, like that one, use cheese in the crust as a binder. Most cheeses are high in sodium and sometimes fat (depending on the style of cheese). For health reasons, I've been trying to find ways to cut as much as possible. If I'm going to get the fat and sodium, I want it in the toppings where I get the taste benefit from it.

Most of the recipes, like that one, use cheese in the crust as a binder. Most cheeses are high in sodium and sometimes fat (depending on the style of cheese). For health reasons, I've been trying to find ways to cut as much as possible. If I'm going to get the fat and sodium, I want it in the toppings where I get the taste benefit from it.

That makes a lot of sense, actually.  Did you stumble upon the flour-instead-of-cheese-and-water-removal thing yourself?  Because it is a hell of an idea if you did!

That makes a lot of sense, actually. Did you stumble upon the flour-instead-of-cheese-and-water-removal thing yourself? Because it is a hell of an idea if you did!

Yup, I've been experimenting. I'm also using soy flour instead of grain flour. Less carbs, more protein. Also better mouth feel when used with the cauliflower.