Post your Tips and Tricks thread

jsharr

Question

Post up tips that help you save time when working on bikes.

One of my favorites is to keep bits of old cable around to use when cutting cable housing.  Insert scrap cable to support the housing when you make the cut and it really cuts down on clean up time when dressing the newly cut housing.  Keeps the inner liner from crushing down.

I keep cotton balls in my saddle bag to rub the inside of the tire after a flat.  the cotton will snag on any objects sticking into the tire so you can remove them.

I also keep a few of the individual wet wipes in my saddle bag to aid in clean up after a flat repair.

I will put bearings, retainers, any parts with lots of old dried on grease on them in a pot of boiling water with a bit of citrus degreaser added.  It softens up the grease and makes clean up a breeze.  Just pour the water and parts into a wire strainer after they have soaked or boiled, then wipe them off.  Easy Peasy.

I also use my wire strainer, and a paper coffee filter to filter the glass jar of mineral spirits that I keep around to soak chains in when I really want to clean them.  Allows me to reuse the mineral spirits over and over.

• Heart 1

9 answers to this question

On 9/25/2013 at 7:22 AM, jsharr said:

I will put bearings, retainers, any parts with lots of old dried on grease on them in a pot of boiling water with a bit of citrus degreaser added.  It softens up the grease and makes clean up a breeze.  Just pour the water and parts into a wire strainer after they have soaked or boiled, then wipe them off.  Easy Peasy.

I also use my wire strainer, and a paper coffee filter to filter the glass jar of mineral spirits that I keep around to soak chains in when I really want to clean them.  Allows me to reuse the mineral spirits over and over.

95563_zzz_500.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html    (buy it with one of their 20% off coupons when it's on sale...runs on water mixed with dish detergent or Simple Green)

• Heart 1

I find that kerosene is excellent for degreasing and chain cleaning, at least for oil-based lubes.  At about $5 a gallon, I just dispose of the used stuff in my recycled motor oil container.

• Heart 2

I find that kerosene is excellent for degreasing and chain cleaning, at least for oil-based lubes.  At about $5 a gallon, I just dispose of the used stuff in my recycled motor oil container.

Gasoline works well too, been doing that on the farm for ever.

A little gas in a coffee can and old paintbrush.

• Heart 1

When I come up against a really hard to install tire, I will place it on the drying rack in our clothes drier and warm the tire up to make it more flexible and hopefully a bit larger to help it onto the rim.  I usually fold the tire and wrap a velcro tie wrap around it to make it smaller and easier to get in and out of drier.

• Heart 1