Spoiler - The last time I saw this...

Road Runner

Phil said the last time he saw a dominant performance like this one was about 20 years ago.  Hmmm.  Wasn't that about the time that EPO came onto the scene?

I hate to be so skeptical.  I used to love Lance and US Postal.  I use to think that doping wasn't the big thing that some people were claiming it to be.  I was so wrong.  

But Nibali doesn't look like he is even breaking a sweat while blowing everyone away on these huge climbs.  I don't think Froome or Contador stood a chance with this version of Nibali and Astana.  I don't know.  I hope I'm wrong again.   :scratch head:  :(  

Could have said the same thing about Froome for the last two tours.

I don't know.  Nibali has won four stages, I think.  And he just flies away from everybody on the steepest parts of the climbs.  I don't have any facts, of course.  Nibali just looks SO MUCH stronger than everyone else.  Watch today's stage, if you haven't already seen it.

I don't know.  Nibali has won four stages, I think.  And he just flies away from everybody on the steepest parts of the climbs.  I don't have any facts, of course.  Nibali just looks SO MUCH stronger than everyone else.  Watch today's stage, if you haven't already seen it.

It's all relative. If there is only one or two exceptional riders in the tour then they will appear to really outclass everyone. Doesn't mean doping doesn't still happen but it could be legit.

I'm not, but also realize that there are many big names missing from The Tour this year. Some didn't start(Wiggins, Quintana), some got hurt(Contador, Froome, Schleck), and some started hurt(Horner).

From what I've seen, you can put all those guys in and add a doped up Lance and Nibali would still win.

From what I've seen, you can put all those guys in and add a doped up Lance and Nibali would still win.

:rolleyes:

we'll never know.

I suspect Nibali is doping, but unless he fails a test we'll never know for sure.

I guess it's possible to pass all your drug screens, and still dope. Lance and A-Rod have never tested positive for PEDs, but both have admitted to doing them

It makes me mad, in a way, that I can't just sit back and applaud Nibali and Astana for a great achievement.  But somewhere in the back of my mind, I can never accept an overwhelmingly dominant performance in any sport again without having those creeping doubts.  It sucks.  For me, anyway.   :(

Boy am I glad someone else brought up this subject...I have been thinking it for several days now...especially seeing the way he can take off on a climb...Is he doping???  I don't know  :dontknow:  But it sure makes me wonder about it...

which is sad...

I suspect he's doping, but that doesn't change anything for me. I think they are all doping, just like they have been for decades.

listen, doped or not...it doesn't matter. Dope has been a part of bike racing since before the First World War

Here's the thing: everybody gets held to the same standard for testing, so if everybody is doping, then whoever wins, wins

That's what the problem with the Lance Tours was...Lance wasn't really being held to the same standard as everybody else. We now know that the sponsors and organizers were more interested in getting the American dollars

Now getting back to this year's Tour, think about this...other years, there have been guys tossed out of the race for doping during the Tour. That's not happened this year.

If Nibali is the strongest rider left, and he's on one of the stronger teams, then you are going to see the race unfold just like it is right now, dope or no dope

Here's the thing: everybody gets held to the same standard for testing, so if everybody is doping, then whoever wins, wins

Now getting back to this year's Tour, think about this...other years, there have been guys tossed out of the race for doping during the Tour. That's not happened this year.

If Nibali is the strongest rider left, and he's on one of the stronger teams, then you are going to see the race unfold just like it is right now, dope or no dope

yep

The users always have the advantage over the testers, at least for a little while.

doping wasn't even illegal until Tom Simpson died in 1967

It was EPO that changed the sport, though. When entire teams are riding away from a guy like Andy Hampstead, something is definitely up