Anybody watching "After Life" on Netflix?

Wilbur

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Derek was awesome but frustrating to watch for me.  Chaotic is how I would describe it.  Excellent acting though. 

It endeared itself to me over time.  It is a hard show to describe to people who have never watched it because it is rarely laugh out loud funny but it had light moments

Just now, Zephyr said:

It endeared itself to me over time.  It is a hard show to describe to people who have never watched it because it is rarely laugh out loud funny but it had light moments

Absolutely but it touches on the value, or lack thereof, we place on aging and handicapped.  

• Heart 1

Ricky Gervais has to be one of the most polarising figures ever.  :D  I personally like his smirkiness but my wife doesn't like him even though she loves the American Office.  The Office was obviously a work of genius.  I loved watching some clips from him hosting the Golden Globes.  My favourite line was something like "I've hosted the Globes SEVEN times".  Can you believe they keep asking me back?  :D  This was of course said after some extremely snarky comment.

So based on that I'll definitely have to check it oot - thanks Wilbur (and Zephyr)!

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ricky Gervais has to be one of the most polarising figures ever.  :D  I personally like his smirkiness but my wife doesn't like him even though she loves the American Office.  The Office was obviously a work of genius.  I loved watching some clips from him hosting the Golden Globes.  My favourite line was something like "I've hosted the Globes SEVEN times".  Can you believe they keep asking me back?  :D  This was of course said after some extremely snarky comment.

So based on that I'll definitely have to check it oot - thanks Wilbur (and Zephyr)!

After Life character is similar to Gervais normal but I like it.  Derek is completely different and it takes about 20 seconds to forget it is Gervais.  Brilliant acting. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I watched the first two of season 2 last night.  It is a good show.

Him interviewing the 100 year old woman was fantastic

I like the direction it is going after the third episode or so. I am disappointed that I am the only one in my fambly who appreciates Gervais, even though my fambly all loves The Office. Speaking of which, they really love the office podcast with Jenna Fischer and Angela, who are apparently good friends IRL. Has to be hard to picture the actress whatever her name is as a nice person after her portrayal of wicked Angela. I’ll probably like that podcast because I always like hearing the backstory. I really miss those director’s  commentaries that came on DVD’s. 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Thanks, I'll do that.  It was surprising to see Gervais in this role.  Very enjoyable though.  I still like the dog. :D

Derek is a complete departure for character.  I forgot it was Gervais in one episode.   

On 5/17/2020 at 9:06 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Watched the first few episodes of Derek last night. It is a little slow starting but I’ll hang in there. 

Ok, after a few more episodes it has totally grown on me. I’ll have to research it more. Gervais is becoming my new Mel Brooks or Leslie Nielsen tv/ movie favourite. 

• 3 weeks later...

So Derek was a short series-two seasons plus a special episode to finish it up. It definitely felt anti-climactic the way it ended. I had mixed feelings. It was enjoyable enough to watch but it just sort of ended with not a lot of development, leaving me pretty unsatisfied. Oh well!

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Bump for the end of After Life. 

Watched some new episodes last night.  Only three to go, and it is about at the bottom of the abyss right now for a few characters.  We'll see how the pendulum swings (or doesn't).

I do wonder what prompted Gervais to go to the dark areas like this show.  

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Watched some new episodes last night.  Only three to go, and it is about at the bottom of the abyss right now for a few characters.  We'll see how the pendulum swings (or doesn't).

I do wonder what prompted Gervais to go to the dark areas like this show.  

I wonder what he has on tap next for us?