Can we just stop the winging, whining and panty twisting here?

Wilbur

Just now, Wilbur said:

If you don't like a topic, don't participate.  If it is offensive, then report it. If you absolutely have to have your way, start your own forum.  Stop playing frickin hall monitor. Nobody ever liked them.  

It's sort of the way a forum works, though :(  Who wants an echo chamber?

• Awesome 2

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If you don't like a topic, don't participate.  If it is offensive, then report it. If you absolutely have to have your way, start your own forum.  Stop playing frickin hall monitor. Nobody ever liked them.  

:) 

It's strange that the people most involved in bringing down P&R are also so convinced in their correctness that they brought politics to the cafe, eventually causing the very rules that they now hate.  Was it politics they didn't like, or other peoples politics?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

this should be rule #1

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I like this, mostly. :)

I don't like this "If it is offensive, then report it" line, though.  The first sentence takes care of the sentiment, but if you are getting offended, then YOU have the problem and you don't really have shit to report except yourself, for being a person who shouldn't be on the internet AND who thinks the world should just dumb it down to your level.  No one likes that, and besides, "if you don't like a topic, don't participate".

Nothing is offensive these days, you are expected to be able to handle your emotions, awareness, and the outward expression of them.  You have the option to not participate if you don't like that topic.  Just walk away.  Calm down.  Take a break.  Whatever.  You will come back happier after.

We all get snippy at times, so just expect some snip (a little is fine, a lot is not).   Sure is a lot more fun than snip here, the snippieness goes away after a day or so.   That said, if someone gets abusive in general or towards one member in particular, they need to get back control of themselves or be helped to.  It can be done.  When I get mad, after a little while I generally realize that brought it on myself somehow, or at least my reaction.  Hell, even Nate would reflect on things well after the fact, and he was generally awesome besides some pretty fucked up ideas (my opinion), and except for the actual transition from ranting to abuse if he was not understood or confronted head on. 

36 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Who wants an echo chamber?

I don't, at all.  Different opinions and ideas are completely necessary.  I like when you bastards give me crap about some outlandish stuff I say, and your freaky ideas sure are begging for a call-out at times, too.  :)

44 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It's strange that the people most involved in bringing down P&R are also so convinced in their correctness that they brought politics to the cafe, eventually causing the very rules that they now hate.  Was it politics they didn't like, or other peoples politics?

It is indeed strange....yet that is exactly what happened.

It was clear what was happening then.... as those most opposing the existence of P&R were the ones vigorously participating...... and it's clear now. 

10 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

It is indeed strange....yet that is exactly what happened.

It was clear what was happening then.... as those most opposing the existence of P&R were the ones vigorously participating...... and it's clear now. 

Probably about as clear as your urine.  :) 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It's WHINGEING!!!*  Jeebus! :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

image.png.85a78961f6fc86bd47498512c4c8df8a.png

* I like it without the "e" as well - "whinging", but I may be in the minority.

Wrong!  In centuries of old and in the US, that is correct.  Current pop culture through the commonwealth countries, the "h"is now absent and the "e" is present.   Ignorant colonial!  Now, do you want to discuss the correct use of "U"?

https://www.yourdictionary.com/winge

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wrong!  In centuries of old and in the US, that is correct.  Current pop culture through the commonwealth countries, the "h"is now absent and the "e" is present.   Ignorant colonial!

https://www.yourdictionary.com/winge

"To cringe"?  I didn't get that from the context of your post.  I may now agree with you! Folks need to stop cringing!

The OP causes me to winge! But don't take that as me whingeing!

image.thumb.png.d8dd35399a879e7f2f54e8944160876c.png

10 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Good heavens no......it's much clearer than that.

It may be uncomfortable to feel that max is right about this.......but then.... max is right about this.

Admittedly, I was one of several who voiced the opinion to close P&R.  My reasoning was not as you suggest.  It was because, like BF, it became a toxic shithole where nothing could be discussed unless you shared the views of the majority.  Too much of P&R was spilling over into the Cafe as was too much of the P&R moderating.  It was fundamentally changing the environment of the Cafe and forum on the whole. 

How many venues do you need to rally the same lot of people into the same circle jerk?  You have BF and there are other actual political sites to visit.  I found no point in ruining this one.  

It is over.  SW made the decision, not me, not any others with the same recommendation.  Time to move on and stop the whining and finger pointing.  Goddamn low landers just can't stop the fighting! :) 

This differs from my version of events.....you opposed the creation P&R from the beginning, you lost that one but then participated, but clearly while doing everything you could to undermine it. You actively then undermined max in his well-intentioned attempt to act as Moderator of the sub-forum to the point of him giving up. You then complained that politics was leaking into the Cafe and made life difficult for SW resulting in the closure of the sub-forum.

It's ironic that you now protest when someone resists your attempts to bring politics into the Cafe.

So please......don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

• Awesome 2

16 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

This differs from my version of events.....you opposed the creation P&R from the beginning, you lost that one but then participated, but clearly while doing everything you could to undermine it. You actively then undermined max in his well-intentioned attempt to act as Moderator of the sub-forum to the point of him giving up. You then complained that politics was leaking into the Cafe and made life difficult for SW resulting in the closure of the sub-forum.

It's ironic that you now protest when someone resists your attempts to bring politics into the Cafe.

So please......don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

This is where you are fundamentally wrong and the piss is your own.  P&R existed when I got here.  It was actually a decent P&R group with representation from multiple points of view and the discussion was civilized.  I remember even making remarks to that regard.   The problems started when the little bully pack from BF showed up, yes you, Caretaker, Late, etc and decided to bring the fights from there, here.   Maxx's attempts to moderate spilled into the Cafe which is when I took an issue with it.  Not on my own.  A little detail you like to leave out. 

Go read the post that started this.  I said nothing political and it wasn't my thread.  Maxx did that in post 2.   

I hate having to say it here but let it go and grow the fuck up man.  Are you sure you were a headmaster?  You seem to lack the cognitive skills, or at best, have a very distorted view of the facts. 

• Awesome 1

Sorry.....your attempts to rewrite history won't wash and using personal abuse indicates that you're aware of this. 

You have your own perspective of course but I'm unaware that any "bully pack" ever existed..... though I do get some flavour of what you mean when you refer disparagingly  to my age, tell me to grow up, doubt my ability to practise my profession and question my cognitive abilities. I mean that all very fine....but it doesn't change what happened I'm afraid.

Is this where I say.....bully much? 

3 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Sorry.....your attempts to rewrite history won't wash and using personal abuse indicates that you're aware of this. 

You have your own perspective of course but I'm unaware that any "bully pack" ever existed..... though I do get some flavour of what you mean when you refer disparagingly  to my age, tell me to grow up, doubt my ability to practise my profession and question my cognitive abilities. I mean that all very fine....but it doesn't change what happened I'm afraid.

Is this where I say.....bully much? 

There is no rewrite of history.  I didn't start this to attack you but thank you for joining in.  Oh no, no bully pack ever existed.  That is laughable.   I found it nice that you came here and joined in discussion in the Cafe.  I thought it was nice to see that side of your otherwise combative personality.  Who doesn't love an olde Scottish man with poetry to share?  I will leave you to fool the rest, I know you too well.   So, stop the idiocy, there is no fight here for you and none I wish to continue.  With the exception of a few hiccups, this is a very fun and peaceful bunch.  It should be left that way. 

Good heavens.....my age yet again?

Just think.....now wouldn't it have been swell if back then when P&R was created you had followed the advice you give now.....you know...that stuff about not whinging and if you didn't like a topic then just don't participate. That's golden advice.....right?

19 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Good heavens.....my age yet again?

Just think.....now wouldn't it have been swell if back then when P&R was created you had followed the advice you give now.....you know...that stuff about not whinging and if you didn't like a topic then just don't participate. That's golden advice.....right?

Yes, it would have been much easier to abandon my position and join the circle jerk.  Discussion involves differing opinions, that is the point of it. That is why we participate in it, no?   Unfortunately, some of you let tribalism and group think get in the way of that.  That though, is standard commentary on todays society. 

Orange man bad! 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Yes, it would have been much easier to abandon my position and join the circle jerk.  Discussion involves differing opinions, that is the point of it. That is why we participate in it, no?   Unfortunately, some of you let tribalism and group think get in the way of that.  That though, is standard commentary on todays society. 

The old old lf used to have some really good if not political then economic discussions that stayed civil and productive for the most part. 

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Orange man bad! 

Indeed it does involve differing opinions.....but then only when you allow it and don't insist upon closing it down.

I find it odd that you insist upon injecting politics into almost every one of your posts...as with this one, and extending this even to your signature.

Even more odd is that you do this while complaining about tribalism and of politics injecting itself into the Cafe.

Never mind.....as you say people here just want to get along and indeed there is much to be admired about those who support others and are kind.

It's my fault entirely of course.....it's just when I see arrant hypocrisy flaunt itself I can't help myself.

Put it down to me being so old.

21 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Indeed it does involve differing opinions.....but then only when you allow it and don't insist upon closing it down.

I find it odd that you insist upon injecting politics into almost every one of your posts...as with this one, and extending this even to your signature.

Even more odd is that you do this while complaining about tribalism and of politics injecting itself into the Cafe.

Never mind.....as you say people here just want to get along and indeed there is much to be admired about those who support others and are kind.

It's my fault entirely of course.....it's just when I see arrant hypocrisy flaunt itself I can't help myself.

Put it down to me being so old.

It's the 1939 and constant self reference to being old that makes your age obvious.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here that thinks of you other than an aged Scottish man.  I don't expect you will see the error of your ways and that is what makes political discussion pointless.  Nobody will change anyones mind and nobody will abandon their own position willingly.  I am not saying anything is entirely your fault, it takes two to battle,  but you did show up in this thread very willing and wanting to participate in a fight.  One, you promulgated.  Why, if not part of the pack mentality?  :)  Sorry there is no P&R. But as I stated, you have other options with the same participants.  You just lack opponents for the same reasons I am citing. 

So, get your last, best shot it because I am done with this discussion.  Just go back to being a light hearted, aging, Scottish poet.  We like those.  :) 

55 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It's the 1939 and constant self reference to being old that makes your age obvious.  I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here that thinks of you other than an aged Scottish man.  I don't expect you will see the error of your ways and that is what makes political discussion pointless.  Nobody will change anyones mind and nobody will abandon their own position willingly.  I am not saying anything is entirely your fault, it takes two to battle,  but you did show up in this thread very willing and wanting to participate in a fight.  One, you promulgated.  Why, if not part of the pack mentality?  :)  Sorry there is no P&R. But as I stated, you have other options with the same participants.  You just lack opponents for the same reasons I am citing. 

So, get your last, best shot it because I am done with this discussion.  Just go back to being a light hearted, aging, Scottish poet.  We like those.  :) 

I'm sorry.....but now you have gone too far. I have never promulgated in my entire life and am on record as condemning it as a filthy habit.

This is a new low even for you... and you are reported.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

This was a good retort. I hope others got it.

The thread was good in that it showed the normal players commencing the blame game and circle jerk.  :)   Maybe if they discussed politics rather than attack those of other opinions, there would still be a P&R?  No, easier to point fingers at others.  :)