What changed?

jdc2000

I tried it on 2 different computers.  IE11 has the same settings on both and I have not changed anything on either one.  I will try a third computer later to see if I can obtain any additional information.

13 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

I find that I can no longer access this site using Internet Explorer 11.  I get the attached error message.  The settings referenced are turned on.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks.

IE11error2020-04-28.jpg

Yeah, that's a fairly common message. The wordage is a little obscure but what it means, in essence, is 'switch to Google Chrome'.

I am using Firefox now, but while it is not as bloated, it is also even less stable.  It crashes frequently.

IE11 works on Windows 10, but only if you uncheck the Use SSL3.0 option.  Unchecking that option on non-Windows 10 systems does not work.

6 minutes ago, jdc2000 said:

I am using Firefox now, but while it is not as bloated, it is also even less stable.  It crashes frequently.

IE11 works on Windows 10, but only if you uncheck the Use SSL3.0 option.  Unchecking that option on non-Windows 10 systems does not work.

What about MS Edge?  IE11 is a dying browser. Firefox, then Chrome, then Edge, then IE11 is the "proper" hierarchy :D , but I still get sucked into IE once in a while. 

I have no stability issues with any browser over multiple Win 10 PCs, so wonder what you have going on that makes your browsers flaky :(  beyond some of the issues specific to SW's site that he has tackled a few times recently.

All web browsers except IE are flaky since all of them except IE are beta software that is updated continuously, with you as the beta tester.  I have Google Chrome and Firefox on a clean Windows install with no add-ons, and they still crash frequently.  Chrome can crash on Google's home search page with the dumbest error message ever created - "Aw Snap".  Edge is just Microsoft Chrome, except that it sends everything you do with it to Microsoft, even more than Chrome sends your info to Google.  Brave and Vivaldi also crash regularly.

21 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

All web browsers except IE are flaky since all of them except IE are beta software that is updated continuously, with you as the beta tester.  I have Google Chrome and Firefox on a clean Windows install with no add-ons, and they still crash frequently.  Chrome can crash on Google's home search page with the dumbest error message ever created - "Aw Snap".  Edge is just Microsoft Chrome, except that it sends everything you do with it to Microsoft, even more than Chrome sends your info to Google.  Brave and Vivaldi also crash regularly.

Like "regular web browsing" is causing crashes???  I go for weeks before I get "restart Firefox to install updates" message - not a crash - so I'm wondering why you see so many issues across so many different browsers. 

I generally never use Chrome as it (Google) has become "the devil", and I'm not super happy with that sort of business model.  Brave is just too immature as a browser.  I guess I use Safari a bit on my phone, but in general, I am all Firefox all the time except a couple business processes require IE still :( 

I have not had a version of Firefox in the last 3 years that I would consider stable.  Some of them would not even load their default home page after installation on a clean Windows installation without crashing.  I think some of the browser crashes are due to the programmers assuming that everyone has a gigabit internet connection and an 18 core CPU with 512 GB of RAM.  If the page does not load in under 3 seconds - crash time.  The big reason though is that no one tests software before releasing it any more - that is what users are for.

13 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

I have not had a version of Firefox in the last 3 years that I would consider stable.  Some of them would not even load their default home page after installation on a clean Windows installation without crashing.  I think some of the browser crashes are due to the programmers assuming that everyone has a gigabit internet connection and an 18 core CPU with 512 GB of RAM.  If the page does not load in under 3 seconds - crash time.  The big reason though is that no one tests software before releasing it any more - that is what users are for.

I'm fascinated by this :D  I just can't imagine Chrome and Firefox being less stable than IE11 (which is soon gone forever), and I also don't actually ever see that in action either.

I have a fairly old and mild laptop with the update to Win 10 - 1909 downloading now (as I noticed it when looking at these specs, so thanks!).  In any case, it's a vanilla install from several months ago (August), and rock solid steady.  No browser issues. No OS issues.  Just turn on, and go.  But I do have relatively reliable internet, so maybe that's the difference?

image.png.89c6c95784aa64a33d8ee10e0506846a.png

image.png.c4ef333f7908b2ee34745dc9e73c9e6a.png

image.png.9d491e0bf1b1669662ee51456d34268d.png

Those PC specs are better than any of my current computers, and your internet speed is probably better than my 7 MB speed also.

IE11 is stable because it is not getting monthly "updates" with new and untested "features" and security patches.

• 4 months later...

IE is not getting any updates because it’s a dead browser. If it wasn’t for some government and financial services firms who have yet to change their page coding, it would already be gone.

i haven’t had the issues you seem to have with Chrome or Firefox and I have clients running 7 MB connections. 
BTW - this link shows HTML compliance of all major browsers. Scroll way down to find IE