Ever wonder what's in the middle of a baseball?

UglyBob

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

We used to cut the covers off, unwind the rubber bands, and play with the ball core. Every once in a while instead of a ball inside it would be a viscous liquid-filled pouch. Those sucked.

We never had to cut the covers off, they got sliced from the club enough to come off themselves. :D

I remember the Faultless brand that was solid.  I used to use those a lot because they were cheap and durable - very hard to cut, unlike a Titleist that would get cut just by looking at them!  Cool name though. :D

When I was a kid, all we kids could afford were those sawdust filled baseballs.

They were good for 2-3 games until the stitches ripped and the sawdust spilled out.

Note that home runs greatly increased in the Major Leagues when Rawlings, maker of all Major League Baseballs moved production from Puerto Rico to Central America in 1987.  A few years later Brady Anderson, who had something like 9 home runs per year, hit 50 home runs as a lead-off hitter for the Orioles.

Many think that the yarn that surrounds the rubber/cork core was wound tighter, making the ball bouncier, but I don't think it was ever proven.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

When I was a kid, all we kids could afford were those sawdust filled baseballs.

They were good for 2-3 games until the stitches ripped and the sawdust spilled out.

Note that home runs greatly increased in the Major Leagues when Rawlings, maker of all Major League Baseballs moved production from Puerto Rico to Central America in 1987.  A few years later Brady Anderson, who had something like 9 home runs per year, hit 50 home runs as a lead-off hitter for the Orioles.

Many think that the yarn that surrounds the rubber/cork core was wound tighter, making the ball bouncier, but I don't think it was ever proven.

There were similar comments made during the steroid era.  Come to find out the players were juiced, not the balls.  Similar dialogue now about balls being different which has caused the increase in home runs.  Different stitching and such... time will tell.

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Says Sammy Sosa

My BIL is a HUGE baseball fan and has written a couple of books. He got his sister (my wife) good on a setup question about a corked bat. She had reconnected with a high school classmate who had gone on to become a relatively famous NY Yankee player and manager who was doing some charity work through his training camps.  True to form, he instructs my wife to ask Bucky if he used a corked bat for his famous home run. She, of course, didn't know any better and asked him. :D He took it well, recognizing her naivety, replying "Oh no,..." After he explained it, she knew she had been had by her brother.