Financial help

Square Wheels

20 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't be afraid to ask. 

We've gone the donate to the food bank route, since it surely isn't easy to get folks to ask for help "personally" rather than impersonally.  It remains difficult to gauge how deep or shallow this problem will be, but I think with the folks here, it will be less long term and more a short term blow. Your offer might be just the sort of short-term bridge to solid ground someone needs.

This is a wonderful gesture. Kindness and care is really, really important.  I've had my fill of sad this week and your thread was just the antidote needed.

Lately, I have seen so many families doing their best and it is still a struggle.  I spoke to a mom who has a child with significantly compromised health.  Normally child is with us for school, then had 8 hours of in home nursing.  She is on a vent.  There is no in-home nursing due to the closure.  Mom cannot work because the child needs constant care.  Also, mom cannot get out to go to the grocery store.  Grandmom was dropping food off on the porch.  Grandmom is now at the local hospital with the COVID.  Family stressors in a good family that tries to do good things.  Hurts my heart.  Dad works at the salt mine (yes really even though it seems made up).  He was laid off but now called back.  They are doing the best they can but no way mom will take this little one out to a store.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I wish someone had taken me up on my offer.  I feel so skeptical about donating.  I'll do a little research and try to find a worthy cause.

I’m sure there are a few “human funds“ springing up, but there have to be good ones that actually funnel most of their intake to worthy people. 

Is there a restaurant or store that you frequent...that is closed? Ask for the name of a clerk or waitstaff that you could reach out to....or donate to your local food shelf. I picked up a hair product and tipped my stylist $20 :dontknow: Reach out to the local public school and see if they can Identify a family in need.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I picked up a hair product and tipped my stylist $20.

I sent my stylist what I’d pay for a haircut and a root touch-up anyway. We’ve been donating to the food bank. They’re overwhelmed with the need. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I wish someone had taken me up on my offer.  I feel so skeptical about donating.  I'll do a little research and try to find a worthy cause.

Local food bank. Ours has a very low admin cost. They feed a lot of people here. I give to them without pause. Someone I know suggested United Way. I say no way to them. Horribly high admin costs. That is not what I want to see

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:10 AM, Airehead said:

They are doing the best they can but no way mom will take this little one out to a store.

My local grocery store takes phone orders for groceries and shops for you and delivers free within ten miles of the store. That service is for anyone immune compromised and senior citizens. They will not accept tips, they say make a donation to a food bank or Salvation Army if you want to show appreciation for the service. They offer this service three days a week.

If you don’t want to stay local, I can tell you a place where I personally can attest 100 percent of your donation will go to a family in need or to a group home that needs something to help them during this time that school are closed.   I can make $25 go a really long way. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Our town has a food bank, I'll do a monthly donation there.

You are a good man. Money let’s them buy fresh meat and produce. Or if you give canned goods and shelf stable stuff. People can build meals. 

• Heart 1