The Most Indestructible Pedal?

dinneR

I've been using platform pedals on my COVID-19 MTB, and haven't bothered to put my SPDs back onto it.  I gotta say, though, that the inexpensive SPDs I have seemed to be pretty damn tough.

I've never destroyed a pedal.  I actually have been lucky enough to not destroy anything on a bike, so I'm likely a bad judge of true indestructibility. 

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I've been using platform pedals on my COVID-19 MTB, and haven't bothered to put my SPDs back onto it.  I gotta say, though, that the inexpensive SPDs I have seemed to be pretty damn tough.

I've never destroyed a pedal.  I actually have been lucky enough to not destroy anything on a bike, so I'm likely a bad judge of true indestructibility. 

My Time pedals have held up well for a long time. I think I have one pair that is 11 years old.

I have ripped a derailluer off a bike. It damn near ruined the frame.

I have never had an issue with any SPD style pedals. The only pedals I have ever had issues with were the road pedals with the big plastic cleat. The plastic cleat wears out over time and is easily replaced but the road pedals require a road shoe and I found it easier to just run SPDs on all my bikes so I can wear any of my shoes on any of my bikes.

I have three levels of Shimano SPD’s.Several of the entry level ones, the one just a level above the entry and a set of XT’s.  I honestly can’t tell them apart from a performance stand point.   

I really don’t service my pedals at all and they all work great year after year.   But they also don’t get wet or muddy either...

On 5/4/2020 at 1:53 PM, ChrisL said:

really don’t service my pedals at all and they all work great year after year.   But they also don’t get wet or muddy either...

I wash the mud out of mine and put a few drops of ice lube on them when I lube my chain. All my rides from home involve at least a couple miles of dirt roads.