What is the pettiest thing you have had someone complain about?

Here's the one I got today...  Someone did not like the way I name computer files. I use the date in every file so I can easily tell the most recent version. (My district is currently on a legal hold and no computer files can be deleted.) For example, the file in question was titled "20200429 Staff Roster." The teacher asked if I could remove the date because it annoys her.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

Here's the one I got today...  Someone did not like the way I name computer files. I use the date in every file so I can easily tell the most recent version. (My district is currently on a legal hold and no computer files can be deleted.) For example, the file in question was titled "20200429 Staff Roster." The teacher asked if I could remove the date because it annoys her.

I use dates in some file names.

We (engineering) have had people complain about how we generate part numbers. Years ago we named some files w/ a dash and suffix letter to differentiate a component type e..g. P for piston, B for body. Well, S could mean seal, spring, shim, seat. So what is it? Also part of the part number had four digits which referred to a particular project. But some components are shared between projects, so which four-digit number do we use? :dontknow: Still this is what some people liked :wacko: Another engineer came up w/ an intelligent numbering system, which was way to effing complicated. Thankfully this was never used. Then, yet another engineer came up w/ a simple sequential numbering system. That's it. When we need to generate a new part, we grab the next sequential number. It's easy. If you know automotive suppliers, this is the norm for years.

People still bitch about it, but we (engineering) said, come up w/ a numbering system. No one would. So we did, and this is it. It's easy to bitch what you do, but no one wants to fucking do anything about it.  So :P

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

I'd prefer it as "2020-04-29 Staff Roster"  Not having natural gaps is annoying.

But that is pretty darn petty!

• Heart 1

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd prefer it as "2020-04-29 Staff Roster"  Not having natural gaps is annoying.

But that is pretty darn petty!

I like 05-01-20. However that could read March 1st, or January fifth :blink: Dealing w/ peeps across the pond who use DD/MM/YY, as opposed to our MM/DD/YY. So I typically use May 1, 2020.

A now thankfully retired cow-orker would always advise me how to change my voice mail greeting when I was oot, even for just a day!  I think I am an honorary millennial, because I despise voice mail, and talking on the phone in general.

BTW, the 2020-05-01 format rocks because it sorts so well and is so unambiguous except for that your-o-peein bullshit of swapping the month and the day.  I am not as consistent as I should be aboot using it to preface file names, cause you really can't trust file time stamps. 

And those your-o-peeins are really effed up in the head for their format!

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

BTW, the 2020-05-01 format rocks because it sorts so well and is so unambiguous except for that your-o-peein bullshit of swapping the month and the day.  I am not as consistent as I should be aboot using it to preface file names, cause you really can't trust file time stamps. 

And those your-o-peeins are really effed up in the head for their format!

Microsoft will properly sort a year/month/day format. A Euro year/day/month format SUCKS for sorting.

Good sorting:

2020-03-12 (March 12)

2020-04-02 (April 2)

2020-04-15 (April 15)

vs bad sorting:

2020-02-04 (April 2)

2020-12-03 (March 12)

2020-15-04 (April 15)

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Microsoft will properly sort a year/month/day format. A Euro year/day/month format SUCKS for sorting.

Good sorting:

2020-03-12 (March 12)

2020-04-02 (April 2)

2020-04-15 (April 15)

vs bad sorting:

2020-02-04 (April 2)

2020-12-03 (March 12)

2020-15-04 (April 15)

I always use year month day..., just for this reason.

I had a someone in an office complain because I signed in blue ink instead of black.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good sorting:

2020-03-12 (March 12)

2020-04-02 (April 2)

2020-04-15 (April 15)

vs bad sorting:

2020-02-04 (April 2)

2020-12-03 (March 12)

2020-15-04 (April 15)

Ed Zachary

Fellow scientist at my last job informed me, not too long after I arrived, that he could not bring himself to like me, as I had been friends with the former boss. That thought kind of ran through his group, and one even commented to me years later, that they were surprised I did not leave the job. Don't get me started on my last boss, as he was a constant source of 'humor'. I just wished I could have been a fly on his wall during some of his phone conversations concerning me. He about crapped his pants, when I was promoted to a GM-15 before I retired. :rolleyes:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Further said:

A cab operated crane, 2 operators, we have to adjust the brakes such that the pedal is about an inch higher off the floor for one of them. If we refuse there always seems to be a breakdown occur   🤔

We had a machine operator that complained that one of the machines was 1 inch too low. After complaining to the right person I spend 3 hours of my day lifting a assembly machine 1 inch. 

• Heart 1

Just now, Zephyr said:

Someone complained the handcuffs were too tight.

"Don't worry, they are new.  They'll stretch with use"

They all freaking complained about that...

Ever have one of those double jointed people step through the cuffs?  Had that happen once and Dude took off!  Unfortunately he tripped (with a little help... ;))  and face planted really hard.  

Dumbass...

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

She doesn't know what is involved in litigation and hence, the electronic discovery process.  She also and any employee working for public/non profit /govn't organization are frequent targets for legal /risk claims.  I know this because of the volume of stuff coming through the tubes...that's why probably for your district there may already have a lawyer on retainer or full-time lawyer on staff.  

Public bodies are very different ….really different from private sector.  The level of information transparency demanded by the public is doubled/tripled in terms of laws and information disclosure, what employees do/act/how they are observed (whether wrongly or rightly by the accuser).

5 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Another engineer came up w/ an intelligent numbering system, which was way to effing complicated. Thankfully this was never used. Then, yet another engineer came up w/ a simple sequential numbering system. That's it. When we need to generate a new part, we grab the next sequential number. It's easy. If you know automotive suppliers, this is the norm for years.

You guys do any work with Ford?  I love Ford's part numbering system.  I just wish they'd get North America and Europe to agree on the body codes.  You see the base number and you have a good idea what it is.  It's in the 7000 series then it's part of the trans.  If it is in the 6000 series then it is part of the engine.  It is easy to check if the BOM is complete.  The intelligent numbering system is a godsend.  I have no idea how companies that use sequential numbers manage their bill of materials.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

You guys do any work with Ford?  I love Ford's part numbering system.  I just wish they'd get North America and Europe to agree on the body codes.  You see the base number and you have a good idea what it is.  It's in the 7000 series then it's part of the trans.  If it is in the 6000 series then it is part of the engine.  It is easy to check if the BOM is complete.  The intelligent numbering system is a godsend.  I have no idea how companies that use sequential numbers manage their bill of materials.

No. We used to many years ago. We make engine timing components for Borg Warner that go into Ford though, but they're BW part numbers.

10 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Pfffft

socks are not qualified for POTD

Was true.  Am filled with unhappy but now ok.  When I came to great American bike forum was afraid Americans not so nice to Kazakhstan IT guy. Made up not real American name.  Now is good to come clean and be real Jon.  You number one, not like Americans who say bad mouth about great Kazakhstan bicycle team.  I your friend now.  You need stuff call Jon and I run come help.

26 minutes ago, Jon KITguy said:

Was true.  Am filled with unhappy but now ok.  When I came to great American bike forum was afraid Americans not so nice to Kazakhstan IT guy. Made up not real American name.  Now is good to come clean and be real Jon.  You number one, not like Americans who say bad mouth about great Kazakhstan bicycle team.  I your friend now.  You need stuff call Jon and I run come help.

Way too much effort, way too little effect.  

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Forum Administrator said:

Putting the date first is a great system as long the folder it's in is specifically dedicated to the subject.

Similarly, I read stock analysis reports before buying stocks, mainly CFRA, Credit Suisse, and Ford Equity.  Here's what's in my Southwest Airlines (LUV) folder - I added to my LUV stock yesterday- where the dates in the LUV report names are the date of the latest report, not the date I saved it:

image.png.7d39a696c7ed5ffed5357ab24cae49c2.png

I had an aunt who had an in-ground swimming pool built, thinking it would bring a lot more friends and relatives to visit her and her husband.  He was great to get along with but she wasn't.

So it did attract a lot of people, but when their kids would get ONE blade of grass in the water, she was watching like a hawk for it and would throw a fit.  Of course, soon the friends and relatives stopped bringing their kids over, which my aunt couldn't understand.