Old people

Do the darndest things. Mom of 7 is 88 and lives nearby in an assisted living place. She has her own apartment and lives pretty independently. Meals used to be served in the dining room three times a day. Since March, residents have meals brought to their rooms and group activities have been canceled including the hair salon and trips outside the facility. Residents can walk the halls as long as they maintain proper distance. Outside visitors are not allowed. Trips to the doctor can be made but upon return they are placed on a 14-day quarantine. A week ago Thursday Mom went to the eye doctor for a shot (macular degeneration). She’s on quarantine for two weeks. I call every day to see how she’s doing. Today she said that she saw the Director come in the building and take her temperature. Wait, where did you see her take her temperature? In the lobby. When did you see this? This morning. Why were you in the lobby? you’re in quarantine. I was looking for somebody. Jeez Louise call down to the front desk if you need something. I don’t have their number. Yes you do, it’s in your address book. No it’s not. Oh, here it is. She then told me that her friend Marsha came up and washed her hair and put rollers in. She’s coming back later to take them out. Mom, you’re in quarantine. That means no visitors. She’s not a visitor, she’s a resident like me. Still, she can’t come to your room. If you were sick, she’d get it and spread it through the building. Did you know that five residents there have tested positive and that three are currently in the hospital. No, they didn’t tell us. Why didn’t they tell us? IDFK. I’ll call the Director and speak to her. 

• Haha 1

My mother in law is in assisted living similar to what you describe. My wife hasn’t seen her mom in over a year because my wife is bedridden. The assisted living center is locked down, no visitors. Mother in law’s phone quit working my sister in law couldn’t find her a similar flip phone. She bought her an old people phone with large numbers but couldn’t get in to show her how to use it. The center gave mom the phone but she can’t figure out how to use it. To call mom we have to call the center and have someone go to moms room to answer the phone. I haven’t seen the phone but really how hard can it be? It’s designed for old people to be easy to use. Mom is ninety years old and has some memory issues.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

My mother in law is in assisted living similar to what you describe. My wife hasn’t seen her mom in over a year because my wife is bedridden. The assisted living center is locked down, no visitors. Mother in law’s phone quit working my sister in law couldn’t find her a similar flip phone. She bought her an old people phone with large numbers but couldn’t get in to show her how to use it. The center gave mom the phone but she can’t figure out how to use it. To call mom we have to call the center and have someone go to moms room to answer the phone. I haven’t seen the phone but really how hard can it be? It’s designed for old people to be easy to use. Mom is ninety years old and has some memory issues.

When the phone rings, press the green button.  When done press the red button.

• Heart 1

Mom had her cellphone canceled because she didn’t know how to use it. She has a landline in her apartment. Mom also has memory issues. She forgets to wear her mask when she goes out, which she isn’t supposed to do either, being under quarantine. She is, as she likes to say, ‘out with the bunnies’