OMG, youse guys!! It's so hot here!!

smudge

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

75-85 is my preferred range. But then I don't live in San Diego or the Tundra.

San Diego was almost never in that range, I lived there 4 years.  Colder and cloudy most of the time, then suddenly shifts to the high 80's and  low 90's for 4 months.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

RG know his numbers!

image.png.3683148449abb7db7bf5eb175a0cfbba.png

WRONG!  That graph is, that is.  It is all relative, depends on how inland or close to the shore you were.  I lived in Mira Mesa, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Carlsbad.

55- 65, BRIEFLY during winter days, and only hitting those 70's near the water in summer, hotter otherwise.   

San Diego weather is not all that.  June gloom is in all but July - October, meaning that it is cloudy almost all the time, except for about 10:30 - 2:30 when it clears out.  Tourists would come and say "I guess I got some weird weather, it has been freezing and overcast all week, but the sun came out a few times and THEN it was nice for a few hours."  Nope, that is San Diego weather, chum, you found the normal, not the odd.  You got more 'California' weather if you were 10 miles inland, but it was still cold in the winter, and no fucking way you are averaging 66 as a high in January near the coast.

Overall, the weather is not super crappy or anything, it just isn't as advertised.  LA has warmer, better weather in my opinion, as I would rather have 90 than 50 degrees.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  That graph is, that is.  It is all relative, depends on how inland or close to the shore you were.  I lived in Mira Mesa, Cardiff-by-the-Sea, and Carlsbad.

55- 65, BRIEFLY during winter days, and only hitting those 70's near the water in summer, hotter otherwise.   

San Diego weather is not all that.  June gloom is in all but July - October, meaning that it is cloudy almost all the time, except for about 10:30 - 2:30 when it clears out.  Tourists would come and say "I guess I got some weird weather, it has been freezing and overcast all week, but the sun came out a few times and THEN it was nice for a few hours."  Nope, that is San Diego weather, chum, you found the normal, not the odd.  You got more 'California' weather if you were 10 miles inland, but it was still cold in the winter, and no fucking way you are averaging 66 as a high in January near the coast.

Overall, the weather is not super crappy or anything, it just isn't as advertised.  LA has warmer, better weather in my opinion, as I would rather have 90 than 50 degrees.

San Diego does get more fog and cooler temps than where I’m at about 60 miles to the North.  Fog is a thing down there where not so much up here.

Our microclimates do take some getting used to.  I work in the foothills about 25 miles inland and it’s noticeably hotter (+\- 10 degrees) and drier than where I live.  But the weatherheads will say 70 degrees in OC and it will range from 60 - 80 depending on where you live...

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

it has been freezing

So, their definition of "freezing" is an odd one????

FTR, I spend no time in San Diego.  I do spend time between LA and SD, and the weather does seem to start cool (cooler than expected) but rises to a very nice "relax outside in shorts" temp most times I am there (rarely in summer time).

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

SD is like SF.... on the ocean front. Move inland and it warms up another 15 degrees.

True but unusual in that other parts of coastal CA do not get the fog that San Diego & San Fran gets.  Maybe the large harbors does something to influence the fog.  

I live 5 miles from the ocean and we rarely get socked in like they do.  We do get the marine layer that covers us like a cool damp blanket tho.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

My ride home at 88 degrees, despite the headwind, was quite comfortable! 25% humidity is very easy to deal with. 

I was always cooler when cycling, compared to when I had to stop for traffic, a flat, etc. I commuted 10 miles one way when living in Tucson in the early 70s and many times in 90F here in Montana. Thing I disliked most was how warm my water got during the ride.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

@smudge, black wall.  Get real.  It's 65* down state.

Sorry, but that wall has been painted black since before I was born! And it IS in the shade all day.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Probably in direct sun as well!!! :frantics:

Nope, shaded back wall that never gets sun.

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Does the she shed have AC?

It doesn't need it. It's in the shade and stays fairly cool all summer. I got to camp around 1:30 or so, and the shed was still 40° inside. Dang!! I left the door open and opened the windows to let in the warm air.

12 minutes ago, smudge said:

It doesn't need it. It's in the shade and stays fairly cool all summer. I got to camp around 1:30 or so, and the shed was still 40° inside. Dang!! I left the door open and opened the windows to let in the warm air.

We don't have a working air conditioner in our house either, just a whole house fan.  One of the benefits of living in the north with low humidity.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

I was always cooler when cycling, compared to when I had to stop for traffic, a flat, etc. I commuted 10 miles one way when living in Tucson in the early 70s and many times in 90F here in Montana. Thing I disliked most was how warm my water got during the ride.

Insulated bottles are great! I will usually fill them about half full of water then leave them in the freezer tilted 30-45 degrees. I fill with water just before I ride. That will get me 30-50 miles depending on the heat. By then, I have usually found a convenience store where I will pay for soda but fill with ice and water. Or. Will pull out the Camelbak. 

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

We don't have a working air conditioner in our house either, just a whole house fan.  One of the benefits of living in the north with low humidity.

I don't have air conditioning either. But I do own a wood stove and a pellet stove... so there's that.