So I camped this weekend.

Parr8hed

All had been pretty much staying home. - Right  

Pretty low risk.  - Sure

We kept our distance pretty well. - Define 'pretty well'  

There was enough camp faar and alcohol to kill any Covid. - I'm sure that meets CDC recommendations 

It was very nice.  :)

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Hi fives were OK?  Hugs were frowned upon?

Somewhat like that.  Adult didn't hug.  We kinda kept apart.  Even when cooking.  Kids did get a little closer than I would have liked.  They rode the golf cart together some.  That was probably the worst thing.  But they slept in their own campers and kept distance pretty well at the fire. 

48 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We had room to spread out. 

Ok crap, that is kinda close for comfort these days, genuine yikes type stuff.  I hope no baseballs, footballs, or frisbees were toyed with.  Guaranteed kids touching each other then touching stuff like door handles, water bottles, food items.  Distancing score - zero.  Risk level - high.

I was gonna give you negative infinity, you only got the zero because I like you.  If any of you were drunk floozies hitting on me at the bar at 2:00am, I would have left you alone.

• Whatever 2

51 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok crap, that is kinda close for comfort these days, genuine yikes type stuff.  I hope no baseballs, footballs, or frisbees were toyed with.  Guaranteed kids touching each other then touching stuff like door handles, water bottles, food items.  Distancing score - zero.  Risk level - high.

I was gonna give you negative infinity, you only got the zero because I like you.  If any of you were drunk floozies hitting on me at the bar at 2:00am, I would have left you alone.

I feel like we did things just fine. 

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

To be honest, it looks like all in the video know exactly jack shit about how to socially distance.   It just shows how lucky you are that you are in a place that it hasn't hit hard yet, although it is pretty obvious from the video that it will at some point.

I hope it turns out well for you and that nobody there brought it in with them, and nobody there has underlying health conditions and nobody in the extended families whom you are visiting afterward have any.  You'll probably all be fine.

• Whatever 1

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't like snakes :frantics:BCC & I were riding where there was a snake on the path...I screamed like a lil girl :wacko:

Me neither! We were hiking nearby some tall grass a few weeks ago, and I heard a rattling sound. I could not get away from there fast enough! 

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, roadsue said:

Me neither! We were hiking nearby some tall grass a few weeks ago, and I heard a rattling sound. I could not get away from there fast enough! 

I’ve been riding on the bike trail and heard a rattling sound. It turned out to just be a kid riding a Walgoose.

9 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I’m pretty sure you have built up a bunch of auntie bodies by now washing the blood of Mexican beer virus victims.

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

To be honest, it looks like all in the video know exactly jack shit about how to socially distance.   It just shows how lucky you are that you are in a place that it hasn't hit hard yet, although it is pretty obvious from the video that it will at some point.

I hope it turns out well for you and that nobody there brought it in with them, and nobody there has underlying health conditions and nobody in the extended families whom you are visiting afterward have any.  You'll probably all be fine.

I understand this.  We are fortunate to live in a pretty isolated area.  With the exception of work we have all been pretty isolated.  Indiana is opening back up.  Starting into the second phase of it.  Did we jump the gun a little?  Probably.  I still think as far as time frames that it was a pretty low risk solution.  Most people around here flooded the Lowe's, Wallmart, etc.  Lots of people out and about.  I feel like this was a safer option.  Of course we could have stayed our asses home. Was it the right thing to do?  Time will tell.   

16 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I understand this.  We are fortunate to live in a pretty isolated area. 

exactly, you're not living in yuppie NYC w/ 1000 people living on top of each other :whistle: I live in the burbs and feel safe. Yes I could get it, but I'm not living like a hermit for three months.

• Heart 1

It is more dangerous to go to the grocery store.  Things are opening up around here.  My massage therapist keeps talking to me about coming back, and I am not so sure about it.  I have not gone since Jan.  I need the work done, but I don't want to risk it. 

As far as camping, we went last month.  Alone.  It was the best socially distant things ever.  

I have been riding the trails.  I do my best.  Some people get too close, but I try to not breathe when they do this.  Some trails I avoid because they are just way too narrow for two way traffic.  

I guess at some point, we are going to have to start living.  I am fearful too, but I can't stay inside and away from everyone for 2-3 years.  My mental health will seriously deteriorate if I hide for years. This thing will still be around in Fall.  What will we do then?   As a society, we avoided the surge at most of the hospitals.  The hospital here is looking at cuts. My work is looking at cuts.  I am not saying that we should sacrifice people for the economy, but how long do we need to stay in and avoid?  1 year, 2 years?  Shit!  

Our area here is already pretty isolated.  I have radically changed my cavalier attitude about germs.  I wash well, before I eat. When I touch money, etc.  We sold something yesterday, and I washed my hands really well each time I touch things that are a concern.  We wipe groceries and quarantine certain items that we can.  

I'm going on a ride this morning with my bestie.  We stay several feet apart.  Like 10 feet when we are riding.  Talking, we are about 5 feet away. Probably the riskiest thing I do, is sleep with my husband right now.  :dontknow:

• Heart 1

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

It is more dangerous to go to the grocery store.  Things are opening up around here.  My massage therapist keeps talking to me about coming back, and I am not so sure about it.  I have not gone since Jan.  I need the work done, but I don't want to risk it. 

As far as camping, we went last month.  Alone.  It was the best socially distant things ever.  

I have been riding the trails.  I do my best.  Some people get too close, but I try to not breathe when they do this.  Some trails I avoid because they are just way too narrow for two way traffic.  

I guess at some point, we are going to have to start living.  I am fearful too, but I can't stay inside and away from everyone for 2-3 years.  My mental health will seriously deteriorate if I hide for years. This thing will still be around in Fall.  What will we do then?   As a society, we avoided the surge at most of the hospitals.  The hospital here is looking at cuts. My work is looking at cuts.  I am not saying that we should sacrifice people for the economy, but how long do we need to stay in and avoid?  1 year, 2 years?  Shit!  

Our area here is already pretty isolated.  I have radically changed my cavalier attitude about germs.  I wash well, before I eat. When I touch money, etc.  We sold something yesterday, and I washed my hands really well each time I touch things that are a concern.  We wipe groceries and quarantine certain items that we can.  

I'm going on a ride this morning with my bestie.  We stay several feet apart.  Like 10 feet when we are riding.  Talking, we are about 5 feet away. Probably the riskiest thing I do, is sleep with my husband right now.  :dontknow:

I thought about you this weekend.  We were pretty much off the grid.  I ran the generator at night.  Used the battery, water pump, water tank.  No campground.  It was nice.  I wish we had more places around to do this.  Very envious of you peeps out west that have wide open areas that are not owned by farmers for farmland.  

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I thought about you this weekend.  We were pretty much off the grid.  I ran the generator at night.  Used the battery, water pump, water tank.  No campground.  It was nice.  I wish we had more places around to do this.  Very envious of you peeps out west that have wide open areas that are not owned by farmers for farmland.  

Boondocked.  Although, my boondocked is not usually on private property.  We still have public lands that are suitable.  However, times are changing.  There are a few spots where I am certain will be illegal in the near future.  We are kinda lucky when he does volunteer work, because we often get to camp near the work site.  This is special access.  As long as there is work to be done, we will be in some of these places.

• Heart 1

Glamping is far superior to sleeping on the ground, struggling to cook, etc.  People that make fun of the way we do and say it isn't camping.  Whatever.  They brag about doing all this manual shit.  I am thinking, that is silly.  Unless you are bike packing or backpacking, I don't see the point in suffering.  Cook over a fire?  No fucking way.  Fires these days are dangerous as fuck, unless in certain controlled circumstances (campgrounds, snowy wet places, etc).  The forest is a tinderbox, so use a stove, and do it wisely.  

The biggest thing for me was the rest.  Ground sleeping just hurts more these days.  I hate it.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

That's how I took it.  Just him making fun of me.

Ed Zackery. But I can say I pitched a tent :D

Seriously though. I've tent camped a lot, mainly years ago. I'd love to have a sweet tenement on wheels and would definitely buy one, but for my once a year bike club excursion it makes no sense. Enjoy it.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We do it up right.  Of course the camper and the big blackstone griddle certainly help.  If we are not playing softball (going to be around the campsite all day) we usually bring a smoker.  We eat well, drink a lot and generally kick back in comfort.  It's quite fun.  

We went for most of the summers as kids.  Parents were teachers so we had the time to go.  I think the old Fireball trailer was maybe 12-14 feet.  Cooking was normally over the fire pit or a Hibachi.  We went all over BC ad Alberta and the PNW of the US.  There is nothing like a ferocious west coast storm in a small trailer.  I loved it. 

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Ed Zackery. But I can say I pitched a tent :D

Seriously though. I've tent camped a lot, mainly years ago. I'd love to have a sweet tenement on wheels and would definitely buy one, but for my once a year bike club excursion it makes no sense. Enjoy it.

You never know, you might just start using it more than once a year.  It can be very relaxing.  With no kiddos you can get away with a pretty small camper.  A little 17 footer could do quite nicely.  They can be pretty cheap even brand new and lots of vehicles can safely tow them. 

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

We went for most of the summers as kids.  Parents were teachers so we had the time to go.  I think the old Fireball trailer was maybe 12-14 feet.  Cooking was normally over the fire pit or a Hibachi.  We went all over BC ad Alberta and the PNW of the US.  There is nothing like a ferocious west coast storm in a small trailer.  I loved it. 

That's awesome!

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We do it up right.  Of course the camper and the big blackstone griddle certainly help.  If we are not playing softball (going to be around the campsite all day) we usually bring a smoker.  We eat well, drink a lot and generally kick back in comfort.  It's quite fun.  

We camp in a tent, but it is car camping most of the time, so that means a relatively comfy and convenient camp set-up.  We have either the full Coleman stove or the little quick burner. We have camp chairs.  A big blanket on the ground for the dog. We cook on a campfire for fun.  We often bring our bikes. 

I'm pretty much a run what you brung sort of guy with camping - from the simplest hammock camper to the full million dollar plus rigs.  We'll be getting a trailer as soon as I retire/wind down in five or six years, but we love tent camping still, so it's not pressing to get off the ground yet.  Of course, I've also slept in an uncomfortable car when a sudden and protracted lightning storm has made it less reasonable to sleep in the tent, which is one huge upside to a trailer.

Folks out in nature are my kindred spirits.  So are the folks on tandems, recumbents, fixies, trikes, and klunkers.  I don't want to parse our ranks too much, since we're all in the minority  that way.

• Heart 2

Just now, Parr8hed said:

You never know, you might just start using it more than once a year.  It can be very relaxing.  With no kiddos you can get away with a pretty small camper.  A little 17 footer could do quite nicely.  They can be pretty cheap even brand new and lots of vehicles can safely tow them.

That is true. I have Trailblazer that can tow 7000 lb.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

That is true. I have Trailblazer that can tow 7000 lb.

You could easily pull a little 17 with that.  I would honestly go with that before a pop up.  They can tend to be a PITA.  

• Heart 1