One thing that really frosts my gourd

Ralphie

Microsoft fired the )(*&% ^ search dog!  The search on the new versions of windows since XP absolutely sucks!  The default for the search box at the top of file explorer is apparently to find the search word in titles only.  You have to type contents:<searchword> to get it to look inside files.  The _)*(*&^ dog asked you every time how to structure your search and it _)*&&  worked, and quickly too!  If humankind progressed like Windows the world would be a (*&^ mess!  Oh wait, I guess it is a mess now anyhoo.  Crap.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

Assault-Clip-Microsoft-Clippy2.jpg

I just watched the office rerun where Darell was writing a resume for the boss job and wondered where the paper clip went that used to say “ I see you’re writing a resume, would you like help with that?”  As a result of the awol paper clip, he wound up writing a four page resume. :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Microsoft fired the )(*&% ^ search dog!  The search on the new versions of windows since XP absolutely sucks!  The default for the search box at the top of file explorer is apparently to find the search word in titles only.  You have to type contents:<searchword> to get it to look inside files.  The _)*(*&^ dog asked you every time how to structure your search and it _)*&&  worked, and quickly too!  If humankind progressed like Windows the world would be a (*&^ mess!  Oh wait, I guess it is a mess now anyhoo.  Crap.

You are wrong.

Win 10 search - in Win Explorer - searches for text in files.  And quickly.

On 5/5/2020 at 3:42 PM, Razors Edge said:

You are wrong.

Win 10 search - in Win Explorer - searches for text in files.  And quickly.

It looks like that is snot the default, so at some point you must have done this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-windows-search-to-find-file-contents-by/0177efd5-8711-4ebe-bdb8-8132b4d63605

So now my question is what locations are indexed?  Maybe just c: drive but not network drives?  Anyhoo, I set that option now.  I still liked the *&^%% dog better than having to google the shit oot of it. :(

On 5/5/2020 at 4:03 PM, TrentonMakes said:

I thought this was going to be about the forecast low of 36 Saturday night, after we put the garden in. A little too close for comfort (though we didn't plant any gourds).

Me too. We might get snow this weekend :runcirclsmiley:

On 5/5/2020 at 1:31 PM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Microsoft fired the )(*&% ^ search dog!  The search on the new versions of windows since XP absolutely sucks! 

And you just noticed this now?   Windows XP has been not supported dead for 6 years.   :huh:

I forgot all about the paperclip.   I always changed the paperclip to a dog.

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So now my question is what locations are indexed? 

Go to Settings and search Indexing Options     You will see what is indexed.

If you want to index a network drive, it appears it is easy if you map the network folder and assign it a drive letter.  And then it index the drive letter.   Then again, I've never needed to index a network drive before...

Don't use M.S. Office since WPS Office virtually just as good and free.

Agree about the limited search in Explorer.  Some things it will find only if I go through the User list of Documents, Downloads, Pictures, etc., but not if I go through the same folders un This PC.  I do like typing something in the search box and seeing a quick list pop open before it.

10 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

And you just noticed this now?   Windows XP has been not supported dead for 6 years.   :huh:

I’ve been b!tching aboot it ever since!  I get reminded every time I had to type contents:<search word>, until I finally succeeded in finding this fix with the old google. Windows 7 didn’t have this option. 

I don't see any good solution to indexing a bigass network drive.  Thankfully a non-indexed search is snot that bad on individual sections of it considering it is only needed pretty infrequently. I can just kick it off and have a cup of coffee or come here until it's done. :D

Yours all look great for personal use,  jdc2000, but we can't install anything like that on a work computer.

• 2 years later...
On 5/7/2020 at 7:13 AM, Philander Seabury said:

I don't see any good solution to indexing a bigass network drive.  Thankfully a non-indexed search is snot that bad on individual sections of it considering it is only needed pretty infrequently. I can just kick it off and have a cup of coffee or come here until it's done. :D

Yours all look great for personal use,  jdc2000, but we can't install anything like that on a work computer.

Sounds painful. That's all your company has? Searching shared drive via Windows Explorer?

Anyway, not that our organization has better for shared drive and we still have millions of docs there.  We have other corporate tools which force a business group to migrate their stuff into other systems and learn search interface.  I find it hard to believe if your firm is big enough, that somebody has not looked into this.  Sharepoint doesn't necessarily solve problems..

On 5/5/2020 at 1:03 PM, TrentonMakes said:

I thought this was going to be about the forecast low of 36 Saturday night, after we put the garden in. A little too close for comfort (though we didn't plant any gourds).

We are on the opposite end of the weather spectrum. We have to worry about the gourd boiling! Today was a “gourd boiler”. I like that!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Sounds painful. That's all your company has? Searching shared drive via Windows Explorer?

Anyway, not that our organization has better for shared drive and we still have millions of docs there.  We have other corporate tools which force a business group to migrate their stuff into other systems and learn search interface.  I find it hard to believe if your firm is big enough, that somebody has not looked into this.  Sharepoint doesn't necessarily solve problems..

SharePoint is horrendous, mainly because of all of the migrations to newer versions. Microsoft is horrible when it comes to continuity.