Toilet clog

Dottleshead

Nothing like starting the day off bad. I got a bowl full of puddin' I now get to work on with a plumbing snake. It's going to be absolutely disgusting and I have to have it done within the hour before the wifey gets home. It's not the clog removal but rather the snake removal in the main bathroom. Nothing like puddle drips on the floor. Literally a shitty job.

22 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Naturally we bought new toilets that apparently don't work well with plungers.  So I basically just take a snake to everything.  I managed to clean it but I've got to let it sit awhile before removing the snake. And flush a few thousand times.

Take them back and tell them they don’t flush worth shit and you want ones that work.

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

How about... drinking more water, eating more fiber, and how much TP did you use???       In our present world TP is rare....  no need to clog the toilet with too much TP.

I'm a champ in all these.  All I do is eat grains and drink water.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

That's what that means.  I bought a Moen and I've regretted it since.

10 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

We installed toilets from Wisconsin (Kohler) in our new home.  No problems here....   

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I've only seen Moen faucets, never toilets.  I guess this is why. :(

5 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Maybe I'm wrong.  I think that was the faucet we bought.  I dunno.  I got it from Lowes and basically got duped into buying it instead of what I wanted.

Yeah.  My mistake.  It was Kohler.  Same price point but crappier flushing and crazier plumbing. I've heard good things about Kohler -- probably just the model I got.  Or may just my ass.  Maybe my ass doesn't like it as much.  I can never be certain about these things.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

Maybe I'm wrong.  I think that was the faucet we bought.  I dunno.  I got it from Lowes and basically got duped into buying it instead of what I wanted.

You actually talked to an associate? Unheard of, when we bought new taller toilets I just walked back to the display, found the one I wanted, looked at the boxes below the display and got the same one. I threw it on the cart and went to the checkout. Ours came with non-slam toilet seats. You let go of them and they ease down onto the toilet. They also had a silicon ring instead of the yucky wax ring. It’s supposed to be reusable. I guess you could reuse it if you were putting new flooring in the bathroom and had to move the toilet out of the way.

Just now, Longjohn said:

You actually talked to an associate? Unheard of, when we bought new taller toilets I just walked back to the display, found the one I wanted, looked at the boxes below the display and got the same one. I threw it on the cart and went to the checkout. Ours came with non-slam toilet seats. You let go of them and they ease down onto the toilet. They also had a silicon ring instead of the yucky wax ring. It’s supposed to be reusable. I guess you could reuse it if you were putting new flooring in the bathroom and had to move the toilet out of the way.

If I recall we had a question about the differences between the models and then I got the pitch.  It's on me for buying it though.  I think it was just really about trying it.  If I ever buy a new one -- now I know definitively what I like.

Guy at work, ( he's almost like Florida man, keeps popping up ) bought an American Standard that's claim to fame was the ability to flush a bucket of golf balls. I asked him if worked well, he told me he grabs his balls when he flushes....

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

Quite a few years ago I replaced the harvest gold toilet with an American Standard Cadet when I also re-tiled the floor. That is my embarrassment as I have to grab a plunger when guest arrive. The clog point is a poor design feature where connects to the 4" drain, shrunk the toilet side down to 3" for universal fit - but flat without slope and solid waste lodges there. GRRRRR. Fast forward to a year ago and replaced master bath toilet. Refused to get an American Standard so got a Kohler and also upgraded to 'chair height' so wife didn't have to use a riser (now in the other bathroom) recovering from knee replacement surgery. The Kohler was nice, except leaked with every flush. After removing and various wax rings, finally located a hairline crack, barely visible on the underside, where the bowl and trap meet. Took back to Home Depot and this time got an other American Standard Cadet. WOW, they have made improvements! While the other one was an early 'water saving' model, this think barely uses water AND does a better job both emptying and cleaning. Never had to grab a brush! Almost ready to rip out the other one but will wait to combine with other bathroom projects. Highly recommend the chair height though.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I know this sounds gross but I have a small wet vac dedicated to "shitty" cleanup jobs.  When the plunger doesn't work, I use that to vacuum the crap out, and in almost all cases it works well.  You do have to wrap a rag around the end to get a good seal on the hose.  To clean it up when I'm finished I put water and some bleach in a bucket and vacuum it through a few times.  Oh, I empty the vacuum contents back into the toilet to get rid of it.

However, this last time WofTy said one toilet was stopped up NOTHING worked.  After an hour I finally had to pull the toilet out.  I won't go into details but suffice it to say that that was the only way that turd was going to get removed.  

We have Kohler toilets in both bathrooms; the ones with the high power vacuum flush systems.  

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Further said:

Guy at work, ( he's almost like Florida man, keeps popping up ) bought an American Standard that's claim to fame was the ability to flush a bucket of golf balls. I asked him if worked well, he told me he grabs his balls when he flushes....

That was my experience.  This particular Kohler model is weak on the flush.

7 hours ago, tybeegb said:

I know this sounds gross but I have a small wet vac dedicated to "shitty" cleanup jobs.  When the plunger doesn't work, I use that to vacuum the crap out, and in almost all cases it works well.  You do have to wrap a rag around the end to get a good seal on the hose.  To clean it up when I'm finished I put water and some bleach in a bucket and vacuum it through a few times.  Oh, I empty the vacuum contents back into the toilet to get rid of it.

However, this last time WofTy said one toilet was stopped up NOTHING worked.  After an hour I finally had to pull the toilet out.  I won't go into details but suffice it to say that that was the only way that turd was going to get removed.  

We have Kohler toilets in both bathrooms; the ones with the high power vacuum flush systems.  

That is gross, man.  Neanderthal stuff.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Further said:

... bought an American Standard that's claim to fame was the ability to flush a bucket of golf balls. 

I replaced our upstairs toilet this winter and used that same model.  I have not tried but it is an agressive flush