How is progress on the new house?

Randomguy

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm wondering too.  For a guy to lose his house and then have a pandemic break out while he's apartment living -- egad.  If anyone in this forum hopes and wishes for a vaccine it's him. And rightfully so.  Talk about upheaval.

It is not only Dr. Mickin what is having a new house, but also Couch.  I meant the title as a catch all for both, but now that I think of it, maybe Aire can tell us if hers is completely finished, too, and if it has lost its new house smell.

I sincerely hope each has a guest bedroom for when I or Cheese come to visit.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

It is not only Dr. Mickin what is having a new house, but also Couch.  I meant the title as a catch all for both, but now that I think of it, maybe Aire can tell us if hers is completely finished, too, and if it has lost its new house smell.

Oooh yar.  Good point.  I forgot the couch angle.  Sorry Rochester.

Thanks for asking,

Very little progress. They haven't even cleaned the stuff thrown out the windows into the yard.  The problem initially was a ban on non-essential work.  Then the problem became refusal of the county landfill to accept debris from non-essential work.  I was left hanging on Friday with everyone passing the buck.

The State Farm Agent was supposed to meet the cleanup contractor on Friday. I didn't get a report. I assume these guys want to make incomes and am hoping there's no reason on their part for the delay (lack of workers, sick workers, other simultaneous jobs).  I need things straightened out this week to keep my sanity.

State Farm won't give a price to a contractor to repair the house until the cleanup is finished.  I'm also waiting for a list of ruined items found to add to my claims and the until the contractor knows how much they'll pay to reestablish the house as it was, I can't sit down and add the things I want added (dishwasher, better range/oven/microwave, better washer and dryer, etc.).

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Thanks for asking,

Very little progress. They haven't even cleaned the stuff thrown out the windows into the yard.  The problem initially was a ban on non-essential work.  Then the problem became refusal of the county landfill to accept debris from non-essential work.  I was left hanging on Friday with everyone passing the buck.

The State Farm Agent was supposed to meet the cleanup contractor on Friday. I didn't get a report. I assume these guys want to make incomes and am hoping there's no reason on their part for the delay (lack of workers, sick workers, other simultaneous jobs).  I need things straightened out this week to keep my sanity.

State Farm won't give a price to a contractor to repair the house until the cleanup is finished.  I'm also waiting for a list of ruined items found to add to my claims and the until the contractor knows how much they'll pay to reestablish the house as it was, I can't sit down and add the things I want added (dishwasher, better range/oven/microwave, better washer and dryer, etc.).

Can’t they get a large dumpster, place it somewhere out of the way, fill it up while cleaning out the home, and take it to the dump when they can? 

Our experience with building a new home was all before the pandemic.

We found that there seems to be a shortage of craft people for many of the tasks.   Like the guy who installed the tile in our kitchen, and bathrooms.  He told us he has so much work he can work 24 hours a day if he wanted.  We heard the same story from a carpet installation guy, the HVAC guy, etc…   It seems too many students don’t see the value or don’t have the opportunity to train for craft jobs. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nicholaswyman/2015/09/01/why-we-desperately-need-to-bring-back-vocational-training-in-schools/#1a90698f87ad

And now the pandemic has to make this even worse… so much work being considered non-essential and a liquor store can be open because it’s essential.  :frantics:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jdc2000 said:

GG -

That looks like Flathead Lake.  East side?

That was my thinking. Big Mountain within striking distance.  Whitefish to get ripped off at the dinner joints.  But it's beautiful. Like jealous beautiful.  Damn Goat.  I'll house sit your property during the winter after I house sit Wilbur's during the summer.