Do you return your shopping cart?

Zephyr

Had a discussion a little while ago and one person said they do not return their cart as they are helping create a job for someone to go collect them, therefore he is helping society.

My phone must have been listening because this popped up today.

Thoughts?

h18E3F75E.png

h9A923206.png

hDDA6427E.png

h5E5668AF.png

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

The last time I was rolling my cart back to the store, the person next to me was pushing theirs up between cars out of sight.  I offered to take it back for them with mine.  She thanked my and I said, no problem, I despise finding carts stuffed between cars by lazy people.

I have to stop doing things like that during Covid tension.  I'm might get shot.

• Heart 1

Before C19, I would grab one from the corral and take that in to shop then put it back in the corral when I was done. If there was a cart roaming free in the lot, I would grab that instead.  I get pretty pissed off when people just leave them on the lot to run into parked cars. 

• Heart 2

44 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What the hell went wrong with you that brought you all here?

I had lots of questions about bike maintenance.  Biker Billy set me straight...   Then I found the dark side the Bicycling forums;  The LF and I stayed for a while.   Now I'm back... Yeah something must be wrong....

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Wait, we're supposed to return the carts? 

Unless you buy one of those 25 cent carts from Aldi. You can take those home and make a cool bike trailer out of them. :whistle:

They also make a good redneck barbecue grill if you can find one of the metal ones.

Speaking of Aldi and their 25 cent carts. I’m a rebel and I always return the cart but never plug it in and take the quarter. Who knows where that quarter has been?

Since I have been the full time caretaker for my wife (all of this year) I shop the closest grocery so I can get home quickly. They bag the groceries and take them out and load them in your car. They return the cart and sanitize it.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, roadsue said:

Added another layer of job duty for the clerks. 

At least one of the stores here hired several new people for this job, and clerks were not involved that I noticed. Greeters were doing the wipe downs at Walmart. At the other, you pretty much did your own.  They asked us here to not bring our own cloth sacks for a period of time, but to use the paper and plastic supplied by the store. Yep, it is different in a small town.

I laughed when someone mentioned that customers were 'making clerks' run about the store looking for things (my interpretation), while at our store, the clerk can easily tell me where something is, but some will close their register, when it is not real busy and scurry over and show me the product, without me asking them to show me the way.

• Heart 1

Shopping at Aldi...I want to get my $0.25 back. :D That has actually been very successful for them as you rarely see any carts in the parking lot and there is no cart corral. 

The funniest though when at a local library, there is a WalMart Neighborhood Market next door in the same shopping center. They have the invisible fence that locks up the wheels. It is funny seeing people walking along then suddenly a halt as they discovered they parked too far away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

People who do this are a scourge on society

shopping-cart-in-parking-space.jpg

Seeing this reminded me of an experience I had the other day.  Pulled into a parking spot at Albertsons and noted the truck on the passenger side of the jeep was a bit over the line. I pulled to the other side of the space, but stayed in the lines.  It happened that the truck owner and his family left the store about the same time I did.  I did not hear what the man said, but his wife told him that he had parked over the line.  I suppose he was complaining that the jeep was so close to the driver's door that he could not get into the truck. I just smiled and pulled through the space and left. I decided I did not need to respond, as his wife had already let him know he was in the wrong.:whistle:

1 hour ago, Tizeye said:

Shopping at Aldi...I want to get my $0.25 back.

The first time I shopped at an Aldi, I was not aware of the $0.25 deposit for the cart.    An older lady just finished unloading her cart into her car and was parked a long way from the store.  I offered to take her cart back to the store.  OMG she reacted like I was robbing her.   (no good deed goes unpunished) 

I got to the carts and they all were locked together.  It took me a while to understand.  Eventually I realized I needed a quarter to pay the ransom for the cart.   THEN I realized she got THAT upset over a quarter. :o

51 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

The first time I shopped at an Aldi, I was not aware of the $0.25 deposit for the cart.    An older lady just finished unloading her cart into her car and was parked a long way from the store.  I offered to take her cart back to the store.  OMG she reacted like I was robbing her.   (no good deed goes unpunished) 

I got to the carts and they all were locked together.  It took me a while to understand.  Eventually I realized I needed a quarter to pay the ransom for the cart.   THEN I realized she got THAT upset over a quarter. :o

:frantics:  Both you and Kirby are grocery store parking lot muggers.  :frantics:

• Haha 1

The store I shopped at during my three year contract in Edmonton had the coin release carts.  It required a loonie ($1) to release the cart.  I would go shopping and gather 5-10 carts on my way into the store.  Those were good oil times in Edmonton.  It always amazed me how much money people were willing to throw away.  

• Heart 1

I do return my shopping cart - I always try to park near a cart bin - and Aldi requires a quarter to get a cart and you get someone else's quarter when you return it. Fortunately, I have a big enough, insulated shopping bag that holds my shopping at Aldi so I don't use the cart.

BUT...when I was in high school and got my first FICA-paying job at a fast-food restaurant, if you worked 5 hours you got paid an extra half hour for "lunch" and could eat all the free food you wanted.

So, when 4 1/2 hours arose, our night manager would look at the parking lot and if it was clean, tell me to punch out. If it was dirty, he'd tell me to sweep the lot - which meant I'd have to work for 1/2 hour and get paid for 1 hour.

So whenever my friends would come in and eat in the restaurant, I tell them to carry their trash outside and throw it on the parking lot where the manager would see it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

I just got back from Aldi...two weeks since last grocery shopping. YAH!

Glad I had a quarter. Last two times they were free as employee sanitized them and had them waiting. Today, self sanitizing station and required a quarter. When they were free, noted quite a few in the parking lot...today there were none abandoned in the parking lot. The system works. It is not that unusual as it quite common in Europe. Except it is not $0.25. Rather a 1 or 2 Swiss franc coin (roughly parity 1 CHF = 1 USD) is required to unlatch. It is a single coin , not 2, but will accept either denomination.