Backpacks are $$$$

SuzieQ
Go to solution Solved by SuzieQ,

Can't comment on backpacks unless you specify your needs for it.

India!

The Osprey is a great pack. But, many less costly packs work as well. I've never paid over 70 bucks for a pack. And each one I have is excellent in performance.

Where do I find a pack that's the right size for $70.... and what about trying them on?

• Heart 1

Honestly Suzie, once you try on a few backpacks (and you can do this at any place that seeks them) you'll get a good feel for what you need. Torso length is usually the big indicator and most places that sell them cheaper on line - Campmor, Amazon, E-bay- are pretty good about listing the pack's sizing.

But, as in all things, buy what you're comfortable with and what you will use.

We bought Wade a Deuter from REI. Great pack but around 200. Might see if REI Outlet has any packs in their outlet site.

That's more than this one..... this is !80 with 25% off

REI has most good packs and you can try them on. Is there one near you?

No REI anywhere near me, the closest is 88miles away 

Honestly Suzie, once you try on a few backpacks (and you can do this at any place that seeks them) you'll get a good feel for what you need. Torso length is usually the big indicator and most places that sell them cheaper on line - Campmor, Amazon, E-bay- are pretty good about listing the pack's sizing.

But, as in all things, buy what you're comfortable with and what you will use.

didn't think about Campmor.... I will look at their store online.  

If I'm going to get this pack, I want one that will last..... so even though the Osprey is expensive it has a lifetime guarantee 

If I'm going to get this pack, I want one that will last..... so even though the Osprey is expensive it has a lifetime guarantee 

But what aboot that smell of India lasting forever thing that roadsue mentioned? scratch%20head.gif:dontknow:

Yes, the Osprey will last. My packs, two of which also have a lifetime warrantee, have been through some pretty rough handling and some excellent adventures! Still going strong! :-)

Campmor has good deals.

I have a 4300 cubic inch Kelty for long hiking trips. I love it, and it is still going and in great shape after 8 years. The first thing to look for in a great pack is the material. I love the fact mine is rip stop. It has a small snag in the material that never got larger.
I am able to fit a weeks worth of cloths, food,and sleeping gear including hammock and rain fly within this unit. I also have room to spare.

another thing to look at is the back padding and metal braces that are in the unit. If you find a comfortable one you think you can hike with for three hours or more, then by all means get it.

The pack I have has been through 8 oil spills, tossed from trucks, and I believe ran over once or twice... Before that all happened it was used of long SAR hikes and lots of camping trips. It is still going strong and ready for more trips. 

If this is for India, then I have to wonder if you are overthinking it. Are you doing some hiking? That looks like it's more spec'd out for a hiking pack.

If you aren't hiking but just visiting, you may want to to to luggage stores and see what they have. It may suit your needs more.

If this is for India, then I have to wonder if you are overthinking it. Are you doing some hiking? That looks like it's more spec'd out for a hiking pack.

If you aren't hiking but just visiting, you may want to to to luggage stores and see what they have. It may suit your needs more.

you know how hard it would to climb on top of a bus or train with a suitcase??? Think before you type :)

I meant backpacks that were more 'luggage' oriented rather than 'hiking' oriented, dingleberry.

Ahhhhhhh no you didn't... you said suitcase. 

She is going to need a larger then life backpack. Once all that Indian food hits her, she will be needing all that T.P.

so you see where a smaller pack/case will not work :)

There is a current discount code for Campmor that's good for another 10% off until 9/30. Use the code "RMN10" at checkout.
  • Heart 1

I meant backpacks that were more 'luggage' oriented rather than 'hiking' oriented, dingleberry.

I have looks at backpacks that are more luggage oriented but they are too small, I have to fit in three weeks of essentials and purchases and want something that is comfortable to carry around.  There may be days when we have the packs with us all day.

Do you have an EMS near you? Today they have a 20% off sale.

It was EMS where I tried it out and they have 25% off till Wed.  I really don't see anything much cheaper, so may just go and get it and keep looking, if I find something else then I can always return it.  

• Heart 1

I have looks at backpacks that are more luggage oriented but they are too small, I have to fit in three weeks of essentials and purchases and want something that is comfortable to carry around.  There may be days when we have the packs with us all day.

OK. My thought was that they may actually have bigger ones there, but not as full of tiny little extra pockets here and there like the hiking ones are. I was kinda hoping they would just a regular but very BIG backpack. It kinda sounds like that's what you need.

I am not a world traveler..however one thing suggested to me on the SA trip was to bring a few comfortable older clothes and leave them behind giving you more room for the things you purchase.   I packed a few extra nicer things on the SA trip...mostly because I was staying with friends and knew we were doing a wedding reception and going out for New Year's Eve.  Good Luck and remember once you have everything ready to go....take some of it out and leave it home!!!...

LOL famous last words...my car will be filled to the top when I come east.  :D

North Face here in ABQ has a 30% off  sale, and their packs are very lightweight with big cargo space.  I agree with Petite...take along a few older pieces of clothing (or some you get at the second-hand store) and leave them when you pick up new pieces.

My neice was in southern India for two weeks.  The smell was just too different from the smells at home, but that may not be the case for you.  

I am not a world traveler..however one thing suggested to me on the SA trip was to bring a few comfortable older clothes and leave them behind giving you more room for the things you purchase.   I packed a few extra nicer things on the SA trip...mostly because I was staying with friends and knew we were doing a wedding reception and going out for New Year's Eve.  Good Luck and remember once you have everything ready to go....take some of it out and leave it home!!!...

LOL famous last words...my car will be filled to the top when I come east.  :D

North Face here in ABQ has a 30% off  sale, and their packs are very lightweight with big cargo space.  I agree with Petite...take along a few older pieces of clothing (or some you get at the second-hand store) and leave them when you pick up new pieces.

My neice was in southern India for two weeks.  The smell was just too different from the smells at home, but that may not be the case for you.  

One really can't wear any of our American clothing over there, it's really not appropriate..... unless you want a lot of attention.  So I'm really only bringing what I travel in and one long skirt, we will buy clothes the day we get there :) So I will be bringing Indian clothes back!  

One really can't wear any of our American clothing over there, it's really not appropriate..... unless you want a lot of attention.  So I'm really only bringing what I travel in and one long skirt, we will buy clothes the day we get there :) So I will be bringing Indian clothes back!  

I have a long sleeve whit tee shirt if you want to barrow it... It has a picture of a monkey and reads "Touch my monkey"

There are monks there so no one would be bothered by it :)

• Heart 1

"One really can't wear any of our American clothing over there, it's really not appropriate..... unless you want a lot of attention." 

...because a 5'10" woman with an enormous backpack will just blend right in.   B)   You're going to draw attention everywhere you go.  <shrug> Clothing in the style of the local people sounds lovely.

• Heart 3

Only comment....wear it in the store with stuff in it....wear it for a while.  What feels good for 5 mins may suck after an hour with some weight in it.

Yep, this is the reason I LOVE REI.  They pack the pack out for your, put it on, help you learn to adjust it.  

We spent a bit more than we wanted to on Wade's pack but we got a pack that fit him.

If you know the pack fits, buy it online and save some moolah.

If not, try to find it in a brick and mortar and pay a bit more for the expertise.  Knowledge is not free.

"One really can't wear any of our American clothing over there, it's really not appropriate..... unless you want a lot of attention." 

...because a 5'10" woman with an enormous backpack will just blend right in.   B)   You're going to draw attention everywhere you go.  <shrug> Clothing in the style of the local people sounds lovely.

I should have said "unwanted" attention.... plus is frowned upon.  Having people stare because you are carrying a backpack is different than having Indian men leer because you are showing what their women do not.  I'm actually looking forward to wearing their clothes.... maybe not saris though, I think I would get too confused  :)

I should have said "unwanted" attention.... plus is frowned upon.  Having people stare because you are carrying a backpack is different than having Indian men leer because you are showing what their women do not.  I'm actually looking forward to wearing their clothes.... maybe not saris though, I think I would get too confused  :)

sounds like a charming place :P

Women wear the sari, and anything different will stand out.  Even your glasses will be an item of fascination. You won't be able to avoid it.  My neice had school aged kids asking to touch her glasses, clothes and hair all day long.  

Is the ! supposed to be a 1?  Are you saying $80 or $180?  If you can find that Kestrel for $80 you need to buy it NOW!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___84926

The last backpack I bought was one of those sling packs.  It does not hold much at all.  The straps are made out of paracord style rope.  It's too small for me to really wear and uncomfortable.  I reckon it was about 800 dollars, but I probably have about 3 grand invested in it.

It says Iromman Louisville on it.

• Heart 2

• Solution

The last backpack I bought was one of those sling packs.  It does not hold much at all.  The straps are made out of paracord style rope.  It's too small for me to really wear and uncomfortable.  I reckon it was about 800 dollars, but I probably have about 3 grand invested in it.

It says Iromman Louisville on it.

can I borrow it  :D

Is the ! supposed to be a 1?  Are you saying $80 or $180?  If you can find that Kestrel for $80 you need to buy it NOW!

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___84926

$180..... I bought it, 25% off, couldn't even get to that price on ebay :nod head:

I don't leave till October, so will keep looking and if I find anything cheaper and suitable I can always return it.

• Heart 1

Women wear the sari, and anything different will stand out.  Even your glasses will be an item of fascination. You won't be able to avoid it.  My neice had school aged kids asking to touch her glasses, clothes and hair all day long.  

Didn't think the glasses would be a fascination :)  Sue, did your niece get sick from the food, and if not what precautions did she take?

This is my current favorite multi day pack. It's external frame. But I'm old school. We've been though some good backpacking adventures together. Fell down the side of a very large rocky hill slope last year, head over heels, and rolled heavily on the pack. Broke both of my trekking poles in the tumble and bruised myself (and my pride) up pretty good. But the pack, other than being covered with mud and debris, survived completely intact.

Didn't think the glasses would be a fascination

At least you're from South Africa, so you've seen more of the world than the USA, so I think you'll be reasonably alright....but

What I learned visiting the 3rd world when I was in the Navy was that what you are wearing, hell even just the shoes on your feet, can easily represent a month's wages...even more than that, to the people living there

So if just the shoes on your feet are worth more than those people see in a year, you aren't safe. the temptation to rob you will be very great. And when people are facing life and death survival every day, its doesn't take a lot

Oh, and believe it or not, women aren't considered equal in most places outside the industrialized west, so you might want to practice up and go get us all a beer right now...you know, just for practice  ;)

good luck and stay safe

Didn't think the glasses would be a fascination :)  Sue, did your niece get sick from the food, and if not what precautions did she take?

I'll ask her, Suzie.  And I'll ask *the difficult questions* about toilets, also.   :blush:

We were driving through Flagstaff recently and stopped at a McDonald's at the same time as a tour bus of people from India were there.  The women didn't flush their toilet paper. They simply tossed it to the side of the commode where it formed a great pile of soiled toilet paper.  And there must have been 30 or 40 of them.  Fascinating to me.  To imagine the day to day basic actions of their lives at home.  

So, I'm sure for every fascination they take in you and your objects, you will also find fascination in them.   

• Heart 1

I'll ask her, Suzie.  And I'll ask *the difficult questions* about toilets, also.   :blush:

We were driving through Flagstaff recently and stopped at a McDonald's at the same time as a tour bus of people from India were there.  The women didn't flush their toilet paper. They simply tossed it to the side of the commode where it formed a great pile of soiled toilet paper.  And there must have been 30 or 40 of them.  Fascinating to me.  To imagine the day to day basic actions of their lives at home.  

So, I'm sure for every fascination they take in you and your objects, you will also find fascination in them.   

yep, just fascinating