Some interesting new info on fasting

Reverend_Maynard

hmmm... i get no popup ads... maybe because i have the pocket plugin for firefox..

"

In a paper published in January 2019 in the journal Scientific Reports, a team of researchers at Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (OIST) and Kyoto University revealed some of the effects of fasting, which go way beyond just burning fat. By analyzing the blood of four young, healthy human participants after they fasted for 34 and 58 hours — whoa! — the team found 42 different substances whose levels increase while a person is fasting (as well as two that go down), only 14 of which scientists had previously detected in fasting humans. That means they discovered 30 substances the human body produces in large quantities during fasting that scientists didn’t know about.

The fact that the body produces all these compounds, write the researchers, indicates that fasting jumpstarts a whole lot more metabolic processes than scientists had ever realized, some of which may have significant health benefits, including antioxidative defense — which may explain its supposed anti-aging effects."

I eat between 2 and 7 pm.  That gives me an 18 hour fast.  If I fly internationally, I don't eat at all.  It is much easier to stay awake and alert on night crossings and it makes adjusting to the new time zone a lot easier.  

The keto diet is being studied for Alzheimers treatment so Keto and IF make a great pairing. 

• Heart 1

I have done IF as well as other 'total food' fasting several times.  This is a known... "As a human is fasting, the body has to switch from using food for energy to using the energy that’s stored in the body, in the form of fat and glycogen."  Anyone who has done a bit of training knows this and can sense when that switch is happening in the body.

I don't know nor studied the science behind IF but I started it long before it was 'a thing'.  One day I figured it was something I'd just try.  I figured that for centuries and centuries our forefathers only eat when they had food and that wasn't every day.  3 meals a day is a relatively recent luxury in the course of human history.  So, I decided to skip breakfast and lunch 3 times a week.  That meant that 3 times a week I was going almost 24 hours without food.  2 things happened - First I started not caring as much about food,  It wasn't as important to me and my schedule.  I didn't eat because the clock said a certain time.  I was seldom hungry.  The other thing was that 'my stomach shrunk' meaning I couldn't eat as much in a setting.  A sandwich filled me up - a cup of soup was a meal.  Holiday meals meant only one plate of food and that was not full.  The other thing that happened was that my BP went down.  It had been just a little into pre-hypertension range.  After a couple months of IF, that changed.

I have also done total fasts several time for different reasons.  A few of these have been 6+ days and the longest was 8 days.  My experience was that the first day is tough, the second day is toughest and by the third day I recognize that my body's energy is coming from a different source- that glycogen switch mentioned above - and I'm no longer hungry.  The attention span - ability to focus shoots way up.  During day 4 I'm not at all interested in food and by day 6 I wonder why I ever wanted to eat.  Cooler heads prevail and I break my fast.

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I have done IF as well as other 'total food' fasting several times.  This is a known... "As a human is fasting, the body has to switch from using food for energy to using the energy that’s stored in the body, in the form of fat and glycogen."  Anyone who has done a bit of training knows this and can sense when that switch is happening in the body.

I don't know nor studied the science behind IF but I started it long before it was 'a thing'.  One day I figured it was something I'd just try.  I figured that for centuries and centuries our forefathers only eat when they had food and that wasn't every day.  3 meals a day is a relatively recent luxury in the course of human history.  So, I decided to skip breakfast and lunch 3 times a week.  That meant that 3 times a week I was going almost 24 hours without food.  2 things happened - First I started not caring as much about food,  It wasn't as important to me and my schedule.  I didn't eat because the clock said a certain time.  I was seldom hungry.  The other thing was that 'my stomach shrunk' meaning I couldn't eat as much in a setting.  A sandwich filled me up - a cup of soup was a meal.  Holiday meals meant only one plate of food and that was not full.  The other thing that happened was that my BP went down.  It had been just a little into pre-hypertension range.  After a couple months of IF, that changed.

I have also done total fasts several time for different reasons.  A few of these have been 6+ days and the longest was 8 days.  My experience was that the first day is tough, the second day is toughest and by the third day I recognize that my body's energy is coming from a different source- that glycogen switch mentioned above - and I'm no longer hungry.  The attention span - ability to focus shoots way up.  During day 4 I'm not at all interested in food and by day 6 I wonder why I ever wanted to eat.  Cooler heads prevail and I break my fast.

Then, why are you so slow?  :)