Turtle

Allen

18 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Are those a beneficial animal for a garden?  We only see those guys in or near the river.  We don't have them in my hood.  

I saw a log with some terrapins on it on a ride recently.  They live in a canal.

I would not think so. They pretty much do little more than dig holes in the  bank of the pond and sun on the log. 

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And eat baby ducks.  Don't forget that.

We raised a bunch of ducklings (our pond was regularly trespassed upon by random dogs and other duck predators), and then released them (with their mother duck) back once they were grown a bit.  A half dozen turned to five to four to three pretty fast over the next couple of days.  We even saw one duckling following the mom through the pond simply get pulled down into the water and never come back up.  Turtles were the culprit.  A snapping turtle of some sort. :(

Just now, Razors Edge said:

We raised a bunch of ducklings (our pond was regularly trespassed upon by random dogs and other duck predators), and then released them (with their mother duck) back once they were grown a bit.  A half dozen turned to five to four to three pretty fast over the next couple of days.  We even saw one duckling following the mom through the pond simply get pulled down into the water and never come back up.  Turtles were the culprit.  A snapping turtle of some sort. :(

Bass will hit a baby duck too. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Further said:

I used to see eastern Box turtles pretty regularly around here. Haven’t seen one in years.   ☹️

They're numbers are dropping.  They're best range is down south.  A lot of their habitat is going way and they take a long time to reproduce.  The Eastern Box is a beautiful turtle.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

Bass will hit a baby duck too. 

We used ducklings for fishing Muskie in Lake Champlain. Tie a big treble hook to them and toss them out to swim around. Big splash and fish on! 

4 minutes ago, Further said:

I watched a mouse run across a pool in a small trout stream. About 6 trout hit it in 5 feet, none were big enough to swallow it, but I was shocked how many trout were in the pool and that they hit a mouse

Mouse flys are a staple in my fly box

DDB21D39-1834-4747-806F-EAF19B71BC40.jpeg

• Awesome 1