Time to get serious -- how you holding up?

Dottleshead

I've been home now for about 3 months.  I'm pretty tired of being pent up.  I tell myself that I'm doing well but I also realized I was/am pretty depressed.  I shared that with my wife late this week.  We go out -- went for a 5 mile hike yesterday -- and ti was very helpful.  But the rains are back and there's nowhere to go... I can only post so much here and I'm sick of video games.  Don't get me started on work.  What I want to do is go on a long vacation -- but where the hell am I gonna go?  I'm stuck with you bastards.  God help me.

So how you doin'?

• Hugs 3

A lot of things bother me, but I also realize that I'm much better financially than many, many people.  When you're poor - and I've been there - the financial stress is so bad it can consume too much of your thoughts and also cloud your decision-making.  I'm thankful I'm not in that situation now.

I'm frustrated and trying to keep my mind on other things - training to return to online chess tournaments for Team USA, playing with my new toy, an Instant Pot which I used for the first time today and made excellent pressure-cooked chicken soup, etc.

The cleanup on my property is going slow and State Farm can't present an estimate on how much it will pay to restore the burned house until that's done, and I'm limited in meeting with the people I want to talk to before I choose a building contractor to do the job.  I also have to complete my destroyed property report, which I can't do until I know if anything's been salvaged.

An aunt and a friend have died and I couldn't attend the funerals.  My sister almost died of COVID-19 but is almost fully recovered and I've been limiting my time doing anything until that occurred, so my shopping Wednesday resulted in sore calves through today, Saturday, and that's frustrating.

They've lifted "Stay at Home" orders in my county but are still recommending it under the name "Safe at Home."  My brother and his family may stop by today to finally see my apartment - that I move into on Mar. 10, but it will be a short visit if they do - no dining together, watching a movie, etc.

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

37 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am to a stress point that I don’t even know how to answer

Hope there's some light at the tunnel in future.

I'm ok and am luckier than some folks --I can work full-time from home, I have a warm home in a good neighbourhood, food and some moolah. My mother finally cashed her Christmas gift cheque from me. (Don't get me started our lack of adequate Chinese to explain to her, online cash transfers. I wish father was alive.)  It must have been a sis at ATM or something.  Not sure how all this social distancing worked when sibs work in hospitals and my mother is 86. <_<

Being indoors at home too long, drains me ...interesting. 

I'm a more social person than I realize my original self-perception as independent person.  ie. I've never shopped with other women nor do I go biking in the past few decades with others often, except with dearie.  

I can't even shore up inspiration to do art with all my art supplies. The closest is blogging..  it's easier on my creativity, less set-up and I like going through my photos ..beauty, lightness and memories of happy times, 

• Hugs 1

In some ways the only thing that has changed is more work..washing my hands a bazillion times, wearing a mask and less happening activity wise at work.

Home has been chaos with board and management stuff...

I miss the regular gym work outs and the weekend day trip and lunch..

I am spending a little less..

And yes I think I am stressed and depressed ...anything else :dontknow:

• Hugs 2

Better now that the rain stopped. Wo46 and I have been doing some bigger power walks with the longest one so far was 11 miles. 

With more things able to open we have been able to ride for coffee. Can't sit inside to drink it but you can walk across the street and enjoy it. Now I can sit down at the corner bar and have lunch with a beer. I'm still not feeling comfortable with sitting at the bar when every stool is full and it's packed elbow to elbow. 

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

About the same, but fighting mud today after a rainy Friday.  Big healthy Angora doe kid was born this morning, and that always adds to the pleasure of the day. Mom had her under cover in front of the box stall, so she was well protected, just a little dirty.  She is with her mom now and has nursed.

A few cases have been reported in town, but they are isolated, and appear to be individuals that brought it in from their home state.  Very glad we do not live in the 'hot spots' where some of you live.  Take care and stay safe and healthy.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Our home life hasn’t changed a whole lot. We are always busy around here. Aside from visiting family, which requires travel, going to church and out for dinner, life is the same at home.

work has been different. As the only”essential” employee I’m the only one who has been in the office everyday since March. Days are mostly filled with calls about how to get people back to work, helping my staff who are working at home with whatever they need and responding to the public about what is open and where they can go, it’s actually mentally draining. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Aside from some rescheduled concerts; no Cards baseball games; Katy Trail ride cancelled (but going on a different one in September); and not being able to interact with grandkids, pretty good. Working from home for just a few more weeks until retirement. Catching up on some projects. Going for walks or riding the bicycle 5 or 6 days a week. Both of us are healthy.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

I’m holding up alright. Work is slow & so somewhat boring but I’m the one manning the controls so basically sit around & wait for stuff to happen.  Although we are resuming a project next week that got put on hold as the contractor couldn’t send his guys out.

Wife is going stir crazy at home so there is that dynamic. No sports sucks but I’d rather people stay alive so can deal with it.  Still able to get out & ride & walk so that’s good.

Financially we’re fine, the UI & stimulus incentives pretty much make up what we lost in wife’s salary.  She’ll find work at some point. I’m really not worried about the finances.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

I'm doing fine. I feel guilty. WFH has been productive.

I've been getting out riding and bird watching to stay sane. The elk are hanging around. Bison seem to be everywhere. Ski season in town ended last week. I stopped skiing in March I think. Mtb trails are drying out. The National Parks are opening Monday in a very limited way. 

My building forced us to subscribe to Directv so I thought I'd have TV service. Mine didn't work and I refused to let a tech in so I have to pay $40/month for nothing. 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

Wo46 go's into work everyday day but I think she misses the weekend life.

Today in the garage she was sitting on the sidecar and I said. ....you want to go for a ride don't you and her response was yes I would, I miss it.

• Hugs 1

Intellectually I know I'm fine and relatively lucky, but there are times I get sort of stressed and I can't pin it to something in particular but I think it's all sort of related.

I'd like to be able to go visit my sisters and not worry that I might infect them somehow.  I'm thankful that I still have a job, and there are days I like the freedom of working from home, but there are days where I miss the convenience of being in the office with people who can answer questions nearby and better work conditions.

Even going to the store is a hassle.  Did I make a reservation, when will the line be long, what may not be in stock, am I standing far enough away? 

My region still isn't opening up in NY and we just went backwards on one of the key measurements.  We need to show reach a certain level for 14 days in a row, and after getting to 5 we have to start all over again.

I worry for my nephew who was making some life plans and they got delayed by all this. .  I worry for my niece and nephew because this has impacted their jobs.  That's a lot of stress for young kids just starting out in their careers.

I'm fine not taking big trips, but I'd like to feel comfortable at hotels and be able to take a quick weekend away.  Luckily I'm sort of a homebody anyway, so I don't mind that.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

I am doing well, this is normally a very busy time of year, and we are enjoying just being home hanging out just the two of us.  Workwise it has been my least stressful time in almost 30 years.

Still working...., wife still working....., kids still working....., we are all healthy...., we just keep saying we could be way worse off than we are

• Heart 3
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Yep, and it helps but there is still the malcontent that comes from the scare, the restrictions, and the realization that many people are idiots. 

:whistle:  I fear you are late to the game of idiots.  :lol:

This forum seems to house a pretty good percentage of good people.  I've known for years that the outside world is not like here.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

:whistle:  I fear you are late to the game of idiots.  :lol:

This forum seems to house a pretty good percentage of good people.  I've known for years that the outside world is not like here.

And yet even here we sometimes lock horns with each other. :(  Life is a b!tch. 
(That was a good comic strip title, The Lockhorns. :D  Andy Capp was sort of a british version too.)

14 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

And yet even here we sometimes lock horns with each other. :(  Life is a b!tch. 
(That was a good comic strip title, The Lockhorns. :D  Andy Capp was sort of a british version too.)

People with differing opinions aren't necessarily idiots.  If they can present a coherent argument then at least they are thinking.  I confine my idiot appraisal to those who just spout slogans and memes with an apparent lack of thought. On another forum, something I can't do here because politics, I try to get people to critically read the articles and piles of mush on the internet for things like data or facts to back up what are usually just assertions with no meat.  The words like may be, could be, assumed to be, unnamed sources when used excessively in a rant without solid food in it are often a give away that you need to go somewhere else and attempt to get your own facts.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I’m reminded of the time I waited 90 minutes  for the plane to take off. Something is supposed to happen. I was going somewhere, but now I’m waiting in a crowded, confined space with a hundred strangers, inconsistent air pressure, and a discomfort I can’t quite name. 

• Heart 2

I just bought my first tank of gas since March 10. 

I’ve honestly worked harder in the past three months that I have in a long time. It took too long for me to learn to shut the computer off and walk away. 

My typical day has online meetings at 8:15, 9:00, 11:00, 12:30 and 1:00. Each of these last at least 45 minutes. I can’t get any work done because I am in pointless meetings all day long. And frankly, I am tired of hearing people complain all day long. (I know...  I’m complaining too. The different is that it is not the only thing I do.) It’s exhausting. No one wants a solution to their problems. They just want to vent. I mean, really, don’t complain that you have hours worth of work when I give you a method to do it in about 20 minutes that you ignored because you prefer a different font. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No offense, but umbrellas, rain coats, baseball caps, and water resistant shoes all make rain very tolerable.  Hiking in the rain is fun and way fewer people.

First off, I think you'r'e wrong.  Hiking in the rain is miserable.  Secondly, I know all about rain 'resistant' shoes -- I live in the PNW, remember??  Finally, when you do hike in the rain -- you are out destroying the trails.  All this for your personal gain?  I thought you placed a higher value on the public good?  :nyanya:

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No offense, but umbrellas, rain coats, baseball caps, and water resistant shoes all make rain very tolerable.  Hiking in the rain is fun and way fewer people.

ok, it should be clear I'm not a fan of hiking in the rain -- but that's only because I have good experience with it.  Not my cup of tea.  But I will say one of the most spiritual connections I've ever had was hiking out of the Quinault in sheets of rain.  I found a tree out in the middle of nowhere in the national park off the beaten trail and listened to the solitude of the biggest downpour I've ever been in -- and that includes the Florida and Hawaii tropical rains.  The power of it was so awesome it left an impression. Just me, the ferns, the towering trees, and the surrounding magical pelting rain.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Well, I've lost my enthusiasm for riding (planning a strategy to start riding in the mornings now tho), and even lost my enthusiasm for sim racing. My 5yo son is basically unrestrained all day long at home while my wife and I work and get precious little free time, and the demands of our jobs being what they are keep us busy sometimes into the evenings. 

I'm eager for 'some' return to normal, like my son starting school again, but I just don't know how this virus thing will play out on that. I'm upset that he'll miss a chance for me to ceremonially walk him to school on his first day, and be excited about his friends from daycare being there, and so on. We chose our house because of its proximity to this school, and now its like its on the other side of the planet. 

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

3 hours ago, Olas Nah said:

Well, I've lost my enthusiasm for riding (planning a strategy to start riding in the mornings now tho), and even lost my enthusiasm for sim racing. My 5yo son is basically unrestrained all day long at home while my wife and I work and get precious little free time, and the demands of our jobs being what they are keep us busy sometimes into the evenings. 

I'm eager for 'some' return to normal, like my son starting school again, but I just don't know how this virus thing will play out on that. I'm upset that he'll miss a chance for me to ceremonially walk him to school on his first day, and be excited about his friends from daycare being there, and so on. We chose our house because of its proximity to this school, and now its like its on the other side of the planet. 

It's been a long time since you posted last Olas.  Are  you sure you didn't start this hibernation thing early?