6 years ago today

Rattlecan

14 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

We were celebrating our 11th anniversary in Athens.

15 years ago, we celebrated our 2nd in Venice.

Today, we celebrate our 17th at home.

All the fancy restaurants are closed, even for delivery today because of the holiday Monday.

So, nice candle light dinner at home it is.

Congrats, Rattlecan!  

We don't always celebrate at a restaurant.  So a lovely dinner at home can be the best.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

All the fancy restaurants are closed, even for delivery today because of the holiday Monday.

I wouldn't want to be in Georgia or California right now, so be happy you're not in Athens or Venice.

We had a lovely anniversary dinner the other night, but since it is light out past 8pm now, it was not candle lit :(

The running tally though has been my 50th birthday, two sisters' birthdays, my BiL's birthday, a niece's birthday, our Spring vacation, and our anniversary all disrupted by COVID :(  Still finding some ways around it, but definitely a bummer.

• Heart 2

Just now, Richard Baggins said:

Last night at dinner my wife asked what we are having for dinner Tuesday, our 30th anniversary. Tuesday? Tacos. It’s taco Tuesday right? Not the answer she wanted to hear. 

The Post listed Taco Bamba as doing "taco kits for takeout" in the weekend restaurant guide. 

:D

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Yes, but the view from the table won't be the same.

Parthenon.jpg

Ours most significant vacation anniversary, was in at restaurant in Burgundy region in France a few years ago.   

A long time ago, I did go to the Parthenon in Athens during the day with friends.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Yeah, we made the climb and checked it out. 

Greece 3 157.JPG

I was in Athens back in ..um 1986 (?).  Just haven't scanned any of my photos from that era. ;)   In one of the evenings, we went to a soccer game, my first exposure to European soccer craze...that's when I learned how Greeks loved soccer, like we love hockey games.

I went with 2 Greek-Canadian friends (from K-W) who were fluent in the language.  Our trip included Crete, Santorini and Delphi.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

I was in Athens back in ..um 1986 (?).  Just haven't scanned any of my photos from that era. ;)   In one of the evenings, we went to a soccer game, my first exposure to European soccer craze...that's when I learned how Greeks loved soccer, like we love hockey games.

I went with 2 Greek-Canadian friends (from K-W) who were fluent in the language.  Our trip included Crete, Santorini and Delphi.

Yeah, we toured Delphi as well. That's quite a climb up to the stadium. My wife waited for me at the temple while I went up to check it out.

We spent a few days each on Santorini and Sifnos. Definitely preferred the islands to the mainland, although it was worth it for the history of Athens and Delphi. 

3 hours ago, Rattlecan said:

I had our extended family group - about a dozen of us - convinced we were going overseas this summer, probably Italy, or doing Hawaii, or doing a big cruise.

Of course, that's shot to hell now.  I hope everything's back to normal next summer - we've got a few in middle school and college so it has to be summer.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing beautiful memories, RC. 

Thanks. It's a good thing we got our international travel in when we did. We have been to Europe five times in the last 17 years, but who knows when or if we will be able to go again.

2 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

Thanks. It's a good thing we got our international travel in when we did. We have been to Europe five times in the last 17 years, but who knows when or if we will be able to go again.

You have have been a lot more than most people.  It will open again but I think slower than we anticipated originally.  Unless there is a miracle! 

I am just happy I get to fly to Kingston next week and NYC on June 1. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

You have have been a lot more than most people.  It will open again but I think slower than we anticipated originally.  Unless there is a miracle! 

I am just happy I get to fly to Kingston next week and NYC on June 1. 

Yeah, but for us there is more at play than the current world situation. Advancing age and my wife's diabetes makes travel insurance increasingly out of reach.

So, while we do hope to do at least one more cross the pond excursion at some point, we will certainly have to scale back the frequency and may have to settle for our memories.

• Heart 2