Mavic In Trouble

Razors Edge

...and seemingly even unsure who owns them???

Not sure if a lawyer is the right guy to fix it, but maybe he is!

Wheel manufacturing giant Mavic has been placed in receivership by a Grenoble court according to reports from French national news sources, meaning the business will likely be in control of its creditors.

French wheel brand Mavic employs around 250 staff, and has long since been a prevalent wheel choice amongst high-end road bikes – with wheels such as the Ksyrium and Aksium series being amongst the best-selling in the UK.

Entering into receivership, slightly different to entering into administration, will mean that Mavic has been appointed a ‘receiver’ by the court, likely on behalf of creditors.

The court has granted six months for the judicial redress (redressement judiciaire) process, in which Mavic will be in the control of a receiver and will need to find a business plan going forward and potentially a new buyer for the company.

Mavic was recently sold to US investment company Regent LP, after former owner Amer sports (who were primary shareholders in Salomon) announced a strategy to sell the cycling part of the business.

The recent French reports suggest that Regent LP was not technically the owner. Instead union figures claimed Mavic had been sold to M Sports, a Delaware-based business which it is claimed is ‘sans lien capitalistique’ (without capital link) with Regent LP.

As a result of the lack of clarity over the sale, staff representation body the Social and Economic Committee is demanding accounts from Salomon to clarify the details surrounding the sale.

It is not clear what the immediate future for Mavic will be, although it appears that there is some optimism that a new buyer may be found.

‘Now we will need to find someone to take over who has a real vision and who wants to stay in the Annecy Basin,’ says Gérard Meunier, secretary of the Social Economic Committee.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I built wheels almost exclusively with Mavic rims.  I'll miss them.

Back in the day, I had (still have) a pair of open pro 4cd wheels w/ Ultegra hubs. Great pair. In 2003, I had my LBS guy build me a set of CXP-33 wheels w/ Ultegra hubs. Great pair. And he's the best wheel builder oot there :) builds a bullet proof set. Now we come to present day. My Ksyrium SLS wheels. The rear one cracked :angry: They replaced it for free (using the existing hub). It was supposed to be $305, but thru a mistake on their part it was free because they took too long. Win for me.

Not sure if their rims are better than their wheelsets :scratchhead: I think so, or their quality went to hell. I'm not a fan of their hubs either. I had to clean/re oil the freehub twice now. Never had to on Shimano. My LBS guy says Shimano hubs are more reliable than Mavic. I believe him.

Their rims were OK for building with, but I am not a fan of their proprietary wheel systems. Their parts support ends 6 years after the end of a model line, and you can't use off the shelf spokes and nipples. Other brands like Zipp, Reynolds and Easton are a better choice for this reason. 

I also dislike Fulcrum, Campy and Shimano wheels for the same reasons.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, Rattlecan said:

Their rims were OK for building with, but I am not a fan of their proprietary wheel systems. Their parts support ends 6 years after the end of a model line, and you can't use off the shelf spokes and nipples. Other brands like Zipp, Reynolds and Easton are a better choice for this reason. 

I also dislike Fulcrum, Campy and Shimano wheels for the same reasons.

Good to know as I am not riding on a pair of Shimano wheels.  These are the first I haven't built in quite a while.