For all you asshats that want to think you are different..

Wilbur

..because your state is a commonwealth,  you aren't.  The four commonwealths are states.  Every president I have ever heard say there are 50 states, not 46 and 4 territories.   Except Obama, he says there are 57.   Commonwealth means nothing as it applies to the US.  :) 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whats-the-difference-between-a-commonwealth-and-a-state

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I'm from the Commonwealth of Kentucky and I'm certainly a different asshat. So there!

FYI: Kentucky Colonels aren't really military colonels either. Consider that the next time you see Colonel Sanders on a KFC commercial.

No, Jerry.  You sir, are a run of the mill asshat.  :) 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

..because your state is a commonwealth,  you aren't.  The four commonwealths are states.  Every president I have ever heard say there are 50 states, not 46 and 4 territories.   Except Obama, he says there are 57.   Commonwealth means nothing as it applies to the US.  :) 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/whats-the-difference-between-a-commonwealth-and-a-state

He was counting the 7 provinces of Canada we were going to liberate, til he chickened out. 

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

..because your state is a commonwealth,  you aren't.  The four commonwealths are states.  ...   Commonwealth means nothing as it applies to the US.  :)

Don't steal my thunder! I've been beotchin' about this idiocy for years here!

If a state want's to claim they are really a commonwealth and not a state, I say read the Constitution and get back to me :)

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Every president I have ever heard say there are 50 states,

A few of the older folks here might remember the days when there were 48 and then briefly 49 states in the USA!  I think you might just be one of them?

• Awesome 1

The Great Seal of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has the words, "State of Pennsylvania" on it.

Some claim that the distinction is that the citizens live in a Commonwealth that is governed by a State government.

Supposedly there used to be distinctions as to the rights of citizens in a Commonwealth but it's all blended into basically the same thing by now.  Of course, there are still a few ridiculous laws in each state, like that where a guy pulled a woman out of a burning car, burning himself while saving her life, then was sued by the woman because a neck injury became worse.  The state was one of the few without a Good Samaritan Law.

10 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Supposedly there used to be distinctions as to the rights of citizens in a Commonwealth but it's all blended into basically the same thing by now.  Of course, there are still a few ridiculous laws in each state, like that where a guy pulled a woman out of a burning car, burning himself while saving her life, then was sued by the woman because a neck injury became worse.  The state was one of the few without a Good Samaritan Law.

He needed to put her back in her car and set it on fire.

All I know is we don’t get to vote on if we want to pay more taxes, they just keep raising them. Ohio votes on theirs and they ask them “Do you want us to raise the school taxes?” And they always vote “Hell no”.