Folding bikes?

Randomguy

The hinges that allow folding seem like just another thing that can go wrong.

If being able to fit the bike into a small space is important, then I can see it, but there are partial alternatives like removing the front wheel.

Personally, I just pop-off the quick-release front wheel, stand my bike up behind the front seats of my Honda Fit - wrapping the fork in a rubber mat and putting a rubber pad between the rear tire and door so it doesn't screw up the upholstery.  Then I just pop the wheel back on when I want to ride.

I've had people in parks approach me while watching me take the bike out of the car, wondering how I ever got it inside!

1340503327_01.BikeinFit-BikeCar25.jpg.1eb117494a4436cabf00d2f8f099170b.jpg 536397138_03.BikeinFit-RearDown25.jpg.dcfb4290797e1c3392f195c568e4fbd1.jpg

1943306958_04.BikeinFit-RearUP25.jpg.8e4cea0fc108f8f0f53ed5d5e3e14e26.jpg 2002184999_05.BikeinFit-WheelOff25.jpg.fda54eb952a4f9cd2b310a24096ff756.jpg

568065893_06.BikeinFit-ForkWrapped25.jpg.6f150f378042a8ce2bd4b0d6d8b5e970.jpg 131588661_07.BikeinFit-InCar25.jpg.118fef731f6617020cc4af5ee69b9135.jpg

1814065920_08.BikeinFit-Backpadded25.jpg.be5653f70dd2fc2c920e824e0857c994.jpg

4 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The hinges that allow folding seem like just another thing that can go wrong.

If being able to fit the bike into a small space is important, then I can see it, but there are partial alternatives like removing the front wheel.

Personally, I just pop-off the quick-release front wheel, stand my bike up behind the front seats of my Honda Fit - wrapping the fork in a rubber mat and putting a rubber pad between the rear tire and door so it doesn't screw up the upholstery.  Then I just pop the wheel back on when I want to ride.

I've had people in parks approach me while watching me take the bike out of the car, wondering how I ever got it inside!

1340503327_01.BikeinFit-BikeCar25.jpg.1eb117494a4436cabf00d2f8f099170b.jpg 536397138_03.BikeinFit-RearDown25.jpg.dcfb4290797e1c3392f195c568e4fbd1.jpg

1943306958_04.BikeinFit-RearUP25.jpg.8e4cea0fc108f8f0f53ed5d5e3e14e26.jpg 2002184999_05.BikeinFit-WheelOff25.jpg.fda54eb952a4f9cd2b310a24096ff756.jpg

568065893_06.BikeinFit-ForkWrapped25.jpg.6f150f378042a8ce2bd4b0d6d8b5e970.jpg 131588661_07.BikeinFit-InCar25.jpg.118fef731f6617020cc4af5ee69b9135.jpg

1814065920_08.BikeinFit-Backpadded25.jpg.be5653f70dd2fc2c920e824e0857c994.jpg

Taking the front tire off is easy enough.  You just have to be super cautious about touching the front brake lever on anything at all.  Well, unless one enjoys a brake bleed when that occurs.  If you have hydro brakes. I don't have much experience with mechanical disc, because I do not prefer them.  

6 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

What is the bike going to be primarily used for? That will make a big difference in what you look for. 

Montague still makes some of the best folding bikes out there.

https://www.montaguebikes.com/

This was my thought as well.

There are the Ritchey Break Away folding bikes:  https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/road-bike/frames?model=656&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIb_ke_C6QIVXB6tBh2_TgxHEAAYASAAEgKPcvD_BwE

These are a regular road bike that can be disassembled and cased for easy transport. The S&S couplers make for a solid junction.  This might be the way to go for a serious rider who travels to bike events often & doesn’t want to rent.

Then you have the Dahon & similar types of bikes, good for touring around a city but probably not something you want to do a fondo on.

5F8C6432-3D42-4222-8CB0-922F0B220274.thumb.png.c782325e5dd42a2fc83da2bd3a9659c5.png

7 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Taking the front tire off is easy enough.  You just have to be super cautious about touching the front brake lever on anything at all.  Well, unless one enjoys a brake bleed when that occurs.  If you have hydro brakes. I don't have much experience with mechanical disc, because I do not prefer them.  

Not an issue with mechanical brakes.  I have TRP Spyres on my crosser and the lever got hooked on something  in my car and depressed with the front wheel off. It didn’t seem to affect the pads.

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This was my thought as well.

There are the Ritchey Break Away folding bikes:  https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/road-bike/frames?model=656&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIb_ke_C6QIVXB6tBh2_TgxHEAAYASAAEgKPcvD_BwE

These are a regular road bike that can be disassembled and cased for easy transport. The S&S couplers make for a solid junction.  This might be the way to go for a serious rider who travels to bike events often & doesn’t want to rent.

Then you have the Dahon & similar types of bikes, good for touring around a city but probably not something you want to do a fondo on.

5F8C6432-3D42-4222-8CB0-922F0B220274.thumb.png.c782325e5dd42a2fc83da2bd3a9659c5.png

My next door neighbor that is (was) a pilot has one of those little guys he takes on his Cessna sometimes.  He said it's the best way to get around if you are not doing the fly-fly thing in the planey plane.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yeah, mechanical brakes are no problem, but hydros can be. Whenever I sold a bike with hydros to someone, I made sure to give them a brake block and explained how to use it. It's just a little plastic wedge that clips in between the pad to keep things in place if the lever gets bumped.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

The would likely be a great thing for people that want to ride, but don't wish to pay heavy fees, or have too much complication for putting it back together.  Maybe @Wilbur has stored them in the glove box of his plane, and then rode it off the tarmac. 

I have but full sized, not a folder.  I did have a folder on my first sailboat though.  It was a Dahon but I found it heavy and it didn't stand up well to salty sea air.   I would go with a Montegue although a number of cruising and live aboard sailors I know just use Ti bikes and make room in a berth for them. 

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Does anyone here have any experience with one or the other or the other other?  A friend asked me about them, you see.

I regularly see the classic folders like a Brompton or similar - small wheels, funky looking.  I call them clown bikes because they are so funny looking, but they are portable (to some degree) much more so than a normal bike.  I think as a "travel" bike, and S&S coupler system on a normal frame w/ normal components would be my preference. 

A funny image was of the Vuelta or Giro a couple years ago where Christian Vandevelde was out riding and he was buzzed by another cyclist (David Millar, I think??)  He was like, "No way that dude is passing me on a folding bike!" and took off in pursuit.  Funny stuff.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, UglyBob said:

What is the bike going to be primarily used for?

A friend asked me about them out of the blue on the phone last night, then this morning on cyclingnews I saw an article on folding bikes.  I read it and started turning this over in my head and recalled that the subway sucks in the summer (even it is safe - cross your fingers), I have no bike, and even if I did, most office buildings do not allow you to bring bikes upstairs.   I thought that a little-wheeled folding bike might be just the ticket, but it turns out the one I was drawn to cost $2,500, and that is nowhere in the budget.  Anyway, nothing like finding out from folks that have one or know someone that talks about theirs all the time.

So, commuting.  

23 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

A friend asked me about them out of the blue on the phone last night, then this morning on cyclingnews I saw an article on folding bikes.  I read it and started turning this over in my head and recalled that the subway sucks in the summer (even it is safe - cross your fingers), I have no bike, and even if I did, most office buildings do not allow you to bring bikes upstairs.   I thought that a little-wheeled folding bike might be just the ticket, but it turns out the one I was drawn to cost $2,500, and that is nowhere in the budget.  Anyway, nothing like finding out from folks that have one or know someone that talks about theirs all the time.

So, commuting.  

Okay, then you're probably talking about a 20 inch wheeled bike-in-a-bag like a Dahon, Brompton, or Bike Friday. The Friday is the best, but pretty much out of your price range. I'd look at a couple of the higher end Dahons and get the bag with it so you can easily carry it inside without drawing too much attention. 

• Heart 1

If we are talking of transporting these on the subway or bus then Brompton would still be the smallest and slickest for folding I imagine..... but expensive with proprietary parts. Bike Friday and Dahon should feature as well though.

Something more akin to a road bike, and used by triathletes is the Airnimal Chamelon which is light and quick but is a larger package. The Airnimal Joey would be the touring equivalent and I've owned both of these bikes and loved them. All of their parts are standard so easily sourced.

• Awesome 1