When Was The Last Time You Used A Mop?

Razors Edge

We've lived in our place since 2003.  In our pantry, we stored the mop.  I couldn't remember the last time (or any time) the mop was used, so I removed it from the pantry and stuck it in the garage.  If it is still there in a few months, I'm chucking it with the trash.

How about you? Do you actually ever use a mop?

Ours is a cheapo like this:

mop.JPG.63cee6cc29bb8efe57ff599e49dad1f6.JPG

I use a mop but not as often as I should. We have one of those Swiffer Wet Jet gizmos that I use between mappings.

when my wife was in the hospital last time I noticed the hospital switched to using one of those type things every day. I asked the lady cleaning the room how she liked it. She said it’s a lot better because if you don’t keep changing the mop water often enough you are just spreading the dirt around.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I have distinct memories of using ammonia in water and a foam mop while listening to kd lang. Now my wife uses a steam generating thingy. Haven’t used ammonia in a decade or two. Swiffers took over for that before the steam thingy.  Never used a string mop except maybe once or twice in my childhood.  

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I have distinct memories of using ammonia in water and a foam mop while listening to kd lang. Now my wife uses a steam generating thingy. Haven’t used ammonia in a decade or two. Swiffers took over for that before the steam thingy.  Never used a string mop except maybe once or twice in my childhood.  

Add some bleach and you could channel Webby.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I wish I could say that my acquaintance with mops was that way.  Unfortunately the pictures of sailors with mops are only the tip of the iceberg.

Not since I moved in March 10th, but apparently soon.

I have wall-to-wall carpet in all areas except the 2 bathrooms, the laundry room, and about a 5' x 12' area between the fridge/stove/cabinets and the island counter in my kitchen.

I recently spilled a little soda on the 5' x 12' area and immediately cleaned it up with a Scotch Brite sponge, rinsing with water.  Today, I noticed a sticky sound when I walked over a small area in my sandals.

I looked and I have a sponge mop and bucket and I have cleaners (I'll probably put Simple Green in the bucket with water).  So I'm guessing I'll mop today though I woke up with a mild headache and will wait for it to go away.

I do a REAL mopping - lay a wet layer and back over with a wrung out mop - about one a month. Wife objects if do to often, but that is the only way I mop. Between she uses those swifter pieces of crap. 

That is the way I learned with first job at a grocery store. Mops and a 55 gallon drum of water plus the squeegee pail. None of those riding mopping machines they use today.

• Heart 1

An actual mop? Shoot decades ago. The last time I recall mopping with a mop was when I had the district job in the kitchen, early 90’s.

We have a swiffer that we use for our laminate floors.  We have never mopped it with a traditional mop & water.

I used one at work about 4 months ago.  Someone spilled an entire coffee on the floor and wanted to prevent an injury.

We have a swiffer style at home, but use a washable cloth head.  I don't use those terrible plastic disposables.  They are wasteful as hell.  Our floors stay quite clean without animals and kids in the house.  I spot clean with a rag.  

I have two of these mops. One for the house and one for the Aero Airedale Activity Area. When the pad is dirty, throw it in the wash.   The green knobby one is for dry mopping. I mostly only use water, occasionally a tiny bit of soap if really really bad. 
I mop something every day. 

E2DB5524-141D-49DE-B183-5D6A2962CE64.jpeg

5FBCC100-59CB-4A95-80E8-23AE627D4A12.jpeg

AB474069-43B4-4A37-9C51-EED41F022BCF.jpeg

7 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have a similar but less expensive get up like @Airehead..not the Norwex brand :whistle:.  I still like getting on my hands and knees for some cleaning...was doing late last week

I don't know it others have noticed this with light colored tile. The swifter wets the floor but doesn't really clean. After several months there will be embedded/caked dirt discoloring patches of tile in high traffic or where stand for food prep in kitchen. Even an old fashion wet mop doesn't remove. About once a year or so have to get down on my knees and, not with a brush, but use Brillo pads on the tile and grout to bring back to 'as new'. 

18 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I have a similar but less expensive get up like @Airehead..not the Norwex brand :whistle:.  I still like getting on my hands and knees for some cleaning...was doing late last week

I know this mop was stupid expensive but it actually works well enough to be worth it. 

• Heart 1