For Some Reason, These Are Enjoyable To Watch

Razors Edge

On 5/21/2020 at 7:50 AM, Razors Edge said:

I randomly find myself watching this guy's build videos.  Very fun in an odd sort of way :) 

I watch them all the time too.

There is a YouTube channel Dub I think and the guy restores all sorts of stuff. He’s doing a series on turning an old steel bike into a gravel bike. He does the obvious like cold setting the stays but welded on disc brake tabs, through axles & such.

He’s on the third video and just finished the paint.  I’m totally sucked in and can’t wait to see the build.

• Awesome 1

On 5/22/2020 at 4:26 PM, ChrisL said:

I watch them all the time too.

There is a YouTube channel Dub I think and the guy restores all sorts of stuff. He’s doing a series on turning an old steel bike into a gravel bike. He does the obvious like cold setting the stays but welded on disc brake tabs, through axles & such.

He’s on the third video and just finished the paint.  I’m totally sucked in and can’t wait to see the build.

Looks like it is Dab:

12 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Did you see the final video?

Now I have.  Sweet bike.

Not sure what a Tanpan SH11 was.  Thought maybe a clutch of sorts, but apparently made to work well with clutches.

image.png.35b2b2aeae245a7dbaf11ae331f8cb74.png

"With the addition of a clutch-equipped Shadow+ rear derailleur, the Tanpan provides unparalleled chain security for Shimano road drivetrains."

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Now I have.  Sweet bike.

Not sure what a Tanpan SH11 was.  Thought maybe a clutch of sorts, but apparently made to work well with clutches.

image.png.35b2b2aeae245a7dbaf11ae331f8cb74.png

"With the addition of a clutch-equipped Shadow+ rear derailleur, the Tanpan provides unparalleled chain security for Shimano road drivetrains."

I was wondering the same. I figured it had something to do with pull ratios between road & Mtn shifters.  

I’d still be a little concerned about those forks. Cutting that notch for disc clearance and then adding discs to the same fork leg gives me the heebie jeebies. Maybe it’s strong enough..

Still a really cool project.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I was wondering the same. I figured it had something to do with pull ratios between road & Mtn shifters.  

I’d still be a little concerned about those forks. Cutting that notch for disc clearance and then adding discs to the same fork leg gives me the heebie jeebies. Maybe it’s strong enough..

Still a really cool project.

I said the same thing about the cutting and adding disc brakes.  A LOT of torque on that front fork concentrated on just one leg.  Not sure how that works out, but  still neat to watch it all play out.

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I said the same thing about the cutting and adding disc brakes.  A LOT of torque on that front fork concentrated on just one leg.  Not sure how that works out, but  still neat to watch it all play out.

I think that’s why he added the through axle. It does integrate the whole front end to one one unit but that cut down leg does seem like a weak link.