I'm joining the ranks of the unsugared

Reverend_Maynard

So, I'm approaching the end of a long weight loss period, and am once again looking at trying to maintain, something I haven't been very good at.  One way that was suggested to me that makes sense is to try to cut out added sugars from my diet.  I've already been avoiding obvious culprits like candy, ice cream, sweetened drinks, etc., and now the focus is on some of the less obvious things.  My first areas to focus on are breakfast and desert. 

For breakfast, I've been having mostly some type of granola bar for bulk and some added fruit through the morning to keep me topped off...  But those bars actually have quite a bit of added sugar, so I'm looking at other things....  Hard boiled eggs are good, but should probably be limited to twice a week, tops.  So, I've decided to try steel cut oats.  I just picked up some today at my regular grocery...  Holy hell, those things are expensive!  $10.49 for a 28oz tin!

For desert I've been having greek yogurt with some cereal mixed in for crunch... but the fruit on the bottom yogurt and the sweetened cereal end up with as much sugar as a true desert would have... so i'm switching to plain greek yogurt, with my own added fruits, nuts, etc. and/or non-sweetened cereal...

I know we have a few healthy eater types here... any tips or tricks you'd like to share?

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Good for you!  Just watch for hidden sugars and also what type of sugar.  Fructose for instance, causes fat storage in how it is metabolized.  Watch the amount and types of fruit as some are very low in fibre but high in fructose.   

Ditto on the fruits. I know it’s not added sugar but fructose can be high octane and it varies by fruit.  Diabetics generally limit fruit and really limit bananas as they are high in fructose.   On that note also watch Corn & peas as they are high in natural sugars.

You might want to look at some of the diabetic food plans as it appears your goal is similar to a diabetic diet.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I don't know that we have those... this is new to me so my radar has not been up.

They are common in some health food stores and certain grocery stores.  I have a Fred Meyer (Kroger) and they have these.  You can buy a lot of foods in bulk.  I do this to prevent plastic waste.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I think my goal at the moment is more to cut out added sugars, as opposed to all sugar.  Whole foods like fruits and veggies are supposed to be fine.  In most cases. their bulk will keep you from overdoing it.

Right but the diabetic plans may give some insights to hidden sugars we are missing.  Like jarred/canned sauces, soups & such.  Sugar & salt is added to a lot of processed foods, not just the obvious ones like cereal, ice cream, candy & such.

I guess it really depends on how far you want to take it.

• Heart 1

I used to buy oats in bulk, but our bulk section closed for now. It's much cheaper. Steel cut oats need to be cooked for a long time unless you soak them overnight. 

If you avoid processed food, you will avoid most sugars. Like others have said, watch fruit especially fruit juice. OJ and the like can be loaded with sugar.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I've decided to try steel cut oats.  I just picked up some today at my regular grocery...  Holy hell, those things are expensive!  $10.49 for a 28oz tin!

Don’t buy the fancy steel cut oats in the tin. They are no better than the steel cut oats from a regular grocery store right next to quick oats, and old fashion oats. They come in a round cardboard container and only cost slightly more than the other oats. Aldi has them.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Don’t buy the fancy steel cut oats in the tin. They are no better than the steel cut oats from a regular grocery store right next to quick oats, and old fashion oats. They come in a round cardboard container and only cost slightly more than the other oats. Aldi has them.

Yeah, i didn't see any other ones.  I would have been fine with whatever cheapest brand, but they seemed to have only one.  I will find a better source by next time for sure.

4 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Yeah, i didn't see any other ones.  I would have been fine with whatever cheapest brand, but they seemed to have only one.  I will find a better source by next time for sure.

My LGS has them, Aldi and Walmart. Not familiar with other stores. 

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I don't understand this statement.

It was reported through many studies for a long time to limit egg consumption due to cholesterol.  I think the studies now indicate you can eat more without cholesterol concerns but many, including me, still limit egg consumption.  

I probably eat 2 a week on average but I tend to binge on eggs and then don’t eat them for a while.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

It was reported through many studies for a long time to limit egg consumption due to cholesterol.  I think the studies now indicate you can eat more without cholesterol concerns but many, including me, still limit egg consumption.  

I probably eat 2 a week on average but I tend to binge on eggs and then don’t eat them for a while.  

Any link of dietary cholesterol intake to blood serum cholesterol has been thoroughly debunked and is accepted as widely known in medical circles, except maybe among dinosaur doctors ready to retire.  You could eat 50 hardboiled eggs a day and be fine with regards to cholesterol.  Maybe there are super-responders out there, but they would be a vanishingly small portion, maybe as numerous as true celiac folks out there.

I eat a dozen eggs a week easy, but then again I am fat and out of shape, but it isn't the egg's fault.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

40 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Any link of dietary cholesterol intake to blood serum cholesterol has been thoroughly debunked and is accepted as widely known in medical circles, except maybe among dinosaur doctors ready to retire.  You could eat 50 hardboiled eggs a day and be fine with regards to cholesterol.  Maybe there are super-responders out there, but they would be a vanishingly small portion, maybe as numerous as true celiac folks out there.

I eat a dozen eggs a week easy, but then again I am fat and out of shape, but it isn't the egg's fault.

So safe to assume you did understand the initial comment, you just don’t agree with it.

Yeah yeah eggs are good. In 10 years eggs will be bad again so I’ll continue to eat a couple a week.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Dinosaur doctors should retire being they failed to keep them alive.  Talk about shooting your career in the foot. Keep in mind that eggs were the size of a Volkswagen back then and a dozen would surely kill you. 

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, ChrisL said:

So safe to assume you did understand the initial comment, you just don’t agree with it.

Yeah yeah eggs are good. In 10 years eggs will be bad again so I’ll continue to eat a couple a week.

I don't think eggs will ever be considered bad again, as overwhelming evidence says they are not bad.   I imagine vegans would wage a rant against egg consumption, but vegans are wrong on so many things.   

What was the original comment?

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I know we have a few healthy eater types here... any tips or tricks you'd like to share?

Good to hear you are focusing on your diet and health. 

I'm a generalist when looking at diet as a part of an overall healthy lifestyle.  IOW, everything in moderation.  Following the basics like paying attention to what you eat, portion control, and doing as much as possible to eat food you prepared from scratch will really help.  Also, veggies, veggies, veggies is the way to go.  Added sugar sucks - most importantly when pre-diabetic or diabetic - and when preparing your own food, you strongly control how much sugar is included.

A lot really depends on realistic expectations - short term and long term - and making lifestyle adjustments BEYOND diet changes to create the environment for staying as healthy as possible.  I think activity remains at or near the top of ways to keep extra weight in check, so I'd be more inclined to tell you to up your exercise so any "extra" fat or sugar that sneaks in gets dealt with before it settles in. 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Good to hear you are focusing on your diet and health. 

I'm a generalist when looking at diet as a part of an overall healthy lifestyle.  IOW, everything in moderation.  Following the basics like paying attention to what you eat, portion control, and doing as much as possible to eat food you prepared from scratch will really help.  Also, veggies, veggies, veggies is the way to go.  Added sugar sucks - most importantly when pre-diabetic or diabetic - and when preparing your own food, you strongly control how much sugar is included.

A lot really depends on realistic expectations - short term and long term - and making lifestyle adjustments BEYOND diet changes to create the environment for staying as healthy as possible.  I think activity remains at or near the top of ways to keep extra weight in check, so I'd be more inclined to tell you to up your exercise so any "extra" fat or sugar that sneaks in gets dealt with before it settles in. 

Thanks for the reply...

I've always been a generalist as well, and that's how i got to this point, having lost over 40lbs in the last 3 months or so.  I've just found in the past that I tend to backslide and put it all back on.  I'm trying a new approach to see if i can get to a point where I can eat what i want and not gain, which means changing what I want, I think.  I'm hopeful I'll be able to find the right alternatives so that it's not a matter of discipline and willpower, but becomes a situation where the alternatives become the favored choice.  Taking this approach stemmed from a discussion about maintaining a lower weight, and how I tend to reintroduce ice cream and beer, and they tend to escalate and then creep into other areas...  I chose to keep beer and cut out ice cream, which lead to discussion of cutting all sugar. 

I agree that activity is important, though diet is really the number one thing, since it's so easy to eat more than you can possibly exercise away.  I'm not sure I can realistically up my exercise from the 6 days a week, 20+miles of running plus 40+miles of mountain biking I've been doing, which is another reason I'm trying to make some more permanent, more radical changes to my everyday diet... I'm not sure I can keep up this level of activity forever.  It's pretty time consuming.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

I don't think eggs will ever be considered bad again, as overwhelming evidence says they are not bad.   I imagine vegans would wage a rant against egg consumption, but vegans are wrong on so many things.   

What was the original comment?

OK in ten years I’m gonna bring this back up and one of us will be WRONG!!!

Dude, seriously?  You forgot already? 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK in ten years I’m gonna bring this back up and one of us will be WRONG!!!

Dude, seriously?  You forgot already? 

We don't know why he said what he said.  Maybe he doesn't like eggs?  Maybe he things eggs are bad despite the mountains of evidence? 

When I was young, people (adult people) told me to get out of the pool or I'd get cramps and drown because I'd eaten a sandwich just before.  The message being sandwich + water = cramps = death is pretty laughable now.   Did those adults even believe it, deep down?  They ate and swam when they were kids, and I doubt that in the history of history, has anyone ever drowned because they got cramps from eating and swimming?

More than x eggs/day/wk/month/year = heart attack sounds funny to me, too.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Thanks for the reply...

I've always been a generalist as well, and that's how i got to this point, having lost over 40lbs in the last 3 months or so.  I've just found in the past that I tend to backslide and put it all back on.  I'm trying a new approach to see if i can get to a point where I can eat what i want and not gain, which means changing what I want, I think.  I'm hopeful I'll be able to find the right alternatives so that it's not a matter of discipline and willpower, but becomes a situation where the alternatives become the favored choice.  Taking this approach stemmed from a discussion about maintaining a lower weight, and how I tend to reintroduce ice cream and beer, and they tend to escalate and then creep into other areas...  I chose to keep beer and cut out ice cream, which lead to discussion of cutting all sugar. 

I agree that activity is important, though diet is really the number one thing, since it's so easy to eat more than you can possibly exercise away.  I'm not sure I can realistically up my exercise from the 6 days a week, 20+miles of running plus 40+miles of mountain biking I've been doing, which is another reason I'm trying to make some more permanent, more radical changes to my everyday diet... I'm not sure I can keep up this level of activity forever.  It's pretty time consuming.

I use a calorie and nutrient tracker and enter foods honestly.  Even drinks and small candies we tend to overlook.  It has helped the most and kept me focused the most when it comes to maintenance. 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

We don't know why he said what he said.  Maybe he doesn't like eggs?  Maybe he things eggs are bad despite the mountains of evidence? 

When I was young, people (adult people) told me to get out of the pool or I'd get cramps and drown because I'd eaten a sandwich just before.  The message being sandwich + water = cramps = death is pretty laughable now.   Did those adults even believe it, deep down?  They ate and swam when they were kids, and I doubt that in the history of history, has anyone ever drowned because they got cramps from eating and swimming?

More than x eggs/day/wk/month/year = heart attack sounds funny to me, too.

Yes, I was referring to the high cholesterol content.  Perhaps I am giving the med community too much credit, but could they really have been entirely, completely wrong about dietary cholesterol all that time they caused so much disruption to people's lives?

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I use a calorie and nutrient tracker and enter foods honestly.  Even drinks and small candies we tend to overlook.  It has helped the most and kept me focused the most when it comes to maintenance. 

I managed to lose the 40+ pounds without resorting to a tracker... I don't want to set myself up to fail, and putting in the time and effort to use a tracker is a sure failure point for me...  If my system relies on my filling in a tracker or journal, I might as well quit now.

What I'm trying to do is change my eating preferences such that I can eat pretty much whatever I want, in whatever quantities, and not gain.  For en extreme example, if you can train yourself to only want celery, you can gorge yourself on "anything you want" and actually die of starvation. :D

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Yes, I was referring to the high cholesterol content.  Perhaps I am giving the med community too much credit, but could they really have been entirely, completely wrong about dietary cholesterol all that time they caused so much disruption to people's lives?

The information you are looking at is way the hell out of date if it says to avoid eggs.  You are giving 50 year-old medical advice too much credit, you need to contemporize.

Here is what the Paris of Ohio says about cholesterol:  https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

February 19, 2015 / Nutrition

Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food

Genetics appear to be playing a stronger role in heart disease

For years, we’ve been told to avoid high-cholesterol foods for heart health, but those days may be coming to an end.

A top nutrition advisory committee says people no longer have to be concerned about eating foods that are high in cholesterol. The committee’s report, which was released today, will help shape the next version of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, set to be released later this year.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

However, people with certain health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, the report says.

9 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I managed to lose the 40+ pounds without resorting to a tracker... I don't want to set myself up to fail, and putting in the time and effort to use a tracker is a sure failure point for me...  If my system relies on my filling in a tracker or journal, I might as well quit now.

What I'm trying to do is change my eating preferences such that I can eat pretty much whatever I want, in whatever quantities, and not gain.  For en extreme example, if you can train yourself to only want celery, you can gorge yourself on "anything you want" and actually die of starvation. :D

Dieting is one big "tracker" - whether internally noting what you're eating or the more formal food journal/app.  There is HUGE value in that if you are the type that will do it.

It seems you have a good foundation right now - weight down, motivated, exercising, realistic - so maybe something like committing to a focus on what you are eating - pros and cons - will be enough.  Added sugar is easy enough to spot in many foods, and if you are not diabetic, I would not worry about whole fruits' sugar content. Fruits and veggies are usually the least of a person's dietary problems.  I'd focus as much as possible as staying HONEST with yourself, knowing (and forgiving) when you backslide, and continuing to do what worked the past several months helping you lose the 40+ pounds.

Sugar is a tough one squash, but it can be done to a level where it is not the biggest issue anymore.  I used to add lots of sugar to my coffee and drink soda all the time.  It was GREAT but also horrible for me.  I rarely have sugar in coffee (Starbucks usually is the exception), and sparkling water with "natural" flavor is the go to for a soda experience.  I still will drink a Coke or an occasional Mountain Dew(!) but far far less often then my younger years.

I also have to add that a photo of me at my biggest is a strong motivator for me to not get there ever again!

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So what the heck is an EGG if not a CHOLESTEROL-RICH food?????

Apparently, it matters not if you ate only pure cholesterol, it doesn't influence BLOOD cholesterol unless you are some sort of sick fuck.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6024687/

Search databasePMCAll DatabasesAssemblyBiocollectionsBioProjectBioSampleBioSystemsBooksClinVarConserved DomainsdbGaPdbVarGeneGenomeGEO DataSetsGEO ProfilesGTRHomoloGeneIdentical Protein GroupsMedGenMeSHNCBI Web SiteNLM CatalogNucleotideOMIMPMCPopSetProbeProteinProtein ClustersPubChem BioAssayPubChem CompoundPubChem SubstancePubMedSNPSparcleSRAStructureTaxonomyToolKitToolKitAllToolKitBookgh
Search term
Clear input
Search

COVID-19 is an emerging, rapidly evolving situation.
Get the latest public health information from CDC: https://www.coronavirus.gov .
Get the latest research from NIH: https://www.nih.gov/coronavirus.

Logo of nutrients
Nutrients. 2018 Jun; 10(6): 780.
Published online 2018 Jun 16. doi: 10.3390/nu10060780
PMCID: PMC6024687
PMID: 29914176

Dietary Cholesterol and the Lack of Evidence in Cardiovascular Disease

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the leading cause of death in the United States. For years, dietary cholesterol was implicated in increasing blood cholesterol levels leading to the elevated risk of CVD. To date, extensive research did not show evidence to support a role of dietary cholesterol in the development of CVD. As a result, the 2015–2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans removed the recommendations of restricting dietary cholesterol to 300 mg/day. This review summarizes the current literature regarding dietary cholesterol intake and CVD. It is worth noting that most foods that are rich in cholesterol are also high in saturated fatty acids and thus may increase the risk of CVD due to the saturated fatty acid content.

6. Conclusions

The current literature does not support the notion that dietary cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease in a healthy individuals. However, there is an ample evidence that saturated fatty acids and trans-fats increase cardiovascular disease risk. The fact that dietary cholesterol is common in foods that are high in saturated fatty acids might have contributed to the hypothesis that dietary cholesterol is atherogenic. In contrast, eggs are affordable, rich in protein and micronutrients, nutrient-dense and low in saturated fatty acids. The healthy eating pattern can incorporate nutrient-dense, calorie controlled meals with balanced nutrients and a variety of colorful vegetables and fruits. The body of literature regarding dietary cholesterol and cardiovascular disease in patients diagnosed with diabetes is still inconclusive and warrants further research.

48 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The information you are looking at is way the hell out of date if it says to avoid eggs.  You are giving 50 year-old medical advice too much credit, you need to contemporize.

Here is what the Paris of Ohio says about cholesterol:  https://health.clevelandclinic.org/why-you-should-no-longer-worry-about-cholesterol-in-food/

February 19, 2015 / Nutrition

Why You Should No Longer Worry About Cholesterol in Food

Genetics appear to be playing a stronger role in heart disease

For years, we’ve been told to avoid high-cholesterol foods for heart health, but those days may be coming to an end.

A top nutrition advisory committee says people no longer have to be concerned about eating foods that are high in cholesterol. The committee’s report, which was released today, will help shape the next version of the U.S. Dietary Guidelines, set to be released later this year.

High levels of “bad” cholesterol in the blood, which have been linked to heart disease, are still a health concern. What’s changed is that many researchers and physicians now believe that eating cholesterol-rich foods such as eggs may not affect the cholesterol that is in your blood.

However, people with certain health problems, such as diabetes, should continue to avoid cholesterol-rich foods, the report says.

Has it occurred to you at all that they might be wrong again this time?

• Awesome 1

10 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

We'll know for sure when they start recommending cigarettes as healthy!

Wait, they're prescribing weed aren't they????

Yep, eggs will be bad again!

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

When they declared eggs unhealthy, it was done with faulty assumptions and no testing.  Now they are doing studies and testing to show that the previous assumptions were for people that didn't question assumptions.   Now there is a much higher standard which shows eggs are just fine and a-ok to fondle, eat, brush your teeth or hair with, and have sex with.

So yes, if new and better evidence surfaces, things could change, but the greater probability shows that the previous piece of crap medical advice was flimsy at best.  

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

When they declared eggs unhealthy, it was done with faulty assumptions and no testing.  Now they are doing studies and testing to show that the previous assumptions were for people that didn't question assumptions.   Now there is a much higher standard which shows eggs are just fine and a-ok to fondle, eat, brush your teeth or hair with, and have sex with.

You are having sex with eggs right now, aren't you?  

As for sugar, I have been going crazy on it for the past few months, my weight is unacceptable.

I am cutting out the nutso stuff that is not typical of me, like soda, jellybeans, candy...

I will never stop eating fruit, there is more magic in a piece of fruit than we will ever be able to measure.

I will slowly, very slowly, cut back on the volume of food I eat so my stomach can reduce in size and therefore feel fuller faster.

We are all different, there is no one size fits all plan for being healthy.

36 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

As for sugar, I have been going crazy on it for the past few months, my weight is unacceptable.

I am cutting out the nutso stuff that is not typical of me, like soda, jellybeans, candy...

I will never stop eating fruit, there is more magic in a piece of fruit than we will ever be able to measure.

I will slowly, very slowly, cut back on the volume of food I eat so my stomach can reduce in size and therefore feel fuller faster.

We are all different, there is no one size fits all plan for being healthy.

I have been overboard, too.  I bought chips, cookies, and queso, and had them all in the last couple of days.  I feel gross.

I tossed them all this morning and am planning on starting fasting again today.

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I have been overboard, too.  I bought chips, cookies, and queso, and had them all in the last couple of days.  I feel gross.

I tossed them all this morning and am planning on starting fasting again today.

You tossed your cookies shortly after buying them?  Are you mental or something? :D

15 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I made this baked oatmeal last night, with about half the maple syrup called for.  Had it for breakfast this morning with a dollop of plain greek yogurt,,, it was really good!  Cut it into squares and froze most of it to thaw as needed.

https://cookieandkate.com/baked-oatmeal-recipe/

That sounds nice. Thanks for the recipe 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I have never spent $500 at one time for groceries. How many carts did she fill?

She filled the crv cargo area and back seat. Fish is crazy expensive and she bought some big chunks of meat. She likes to eat expensive and carnivorous as opposed to my cheap and veggie-centric. But sadly it seems best to avoid the cheap veggie place for a while. 

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah even when I was shopping for 4 we never spent that much!  That’s gotta be a lot of stuff!

I guess it is also indicative of rising prices. She bought tons of non-perishables. But she is holding shopping trips to 2-3 weeks, but I sure hope this one is good for 4!  Even $125/week for two peeps would be a lot. Actually a lot is for when the kids and their SOs come over most weekends. She spoils them rotten with cooking big ass meals. 

• Awesome 1