Some of you sound....American

shootingstar

20 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

'mercan sound:dontknow:

Nice meeting you :D

There is a slight twang for some folks...not all.

Can hear it in petite's voice.

Hey, when I've been in the U.S. (northeast) for over a wk., my voice actually starts to absorb /imitate the local.  It is natural...probably because English is my 2nd language and ….lst language is a Chinese dialect that's tonal. So maybe it's instinctual...the voice inflection imitation.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

There is a slight twang for some folks...not all.

Can hear it in petite's voice.

Hey, when I've been in the U.S. (northeast) for over a wk., my voice actually starts to absorb /imitate the local.  It is natural...probably because English is my 2nd language and ….lst language is a Chinese dialect that's tonal. So maybe it's instinctual...the voice inflection imitation.

I was surprised by your voice. It didn’t sound Chinese or even Canadian. I expected a strong accent but you have a very nice voice that would fit in anywhere.

• Heart 1

This topic actually made me think, what does an American sound like?  A Texan sounds differently from a Bostonian, a Minnesotan to a Southerner and then there are us Spicoli speaking Californians...

I know some parts of Canada speak French but do all English speaking Kanucks sound alike? 

28 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

This topic actually made me think, what does an American sound like?  A Texan sounds differently from a Bostonian, a Minnesotan to a Southerner and then there are us Spicoli speaking Californians...

I know some parts of Canada speak French but do all English speaking Kanucks sound alike? 

Nope, if you hear Newfoundlanders, they definitely sound different.  They also have a great reputation for being friendly. I'm certain Zephyr will speak up here ...

This music is takes off from that region of Canada below.

I dunno about other Canucks...but I can't detect accent any differences for provinces including and between British Columbia and Ontario.  Maybe I have to go into the rural areas..

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

do all English speaking Kanucks sound alike? 

No.  Like everywhere, there are regional accents and almost dialect.  Northern communities tend to develop their own nuance.  Rather than "How are you?" , it is common to hear "How are yous?"  Or "Yous guys."  French varies quite a bit and the Maritimes have several accents.  It isn't difficult to tell where someone is from if you have spent time there. 

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No.  Like everywhere, there are regional accents and almost dialect.  Northern communities tend to develop their own nuance.  Rather than "How are you?" , it is common to hear "How are yous?"  Or "Yous guys."  French varies quite a bit and the Maritimes have several accents.  It isn't difficult to tell where someone is from if you have spent time there. 

The difference to me, is a vacation home in B.C., local refer to cabin (or chalet if enough money), and maybe in Alberta. In Alberta people love to talk about owning "acreage".  

In Ontario it's a cottage.

31 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yes, they sound like Bob & Doug.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1