New fence going in today

Dirtyhip

I need to put up a rabbit fence. My property is overrun with bunnies. The neighbor’s beagles used to hunt them. I don’t know if they ever caught any but they had fun sniffing the ground and tracking them. As they felt they were getting close they would bay. Now I haven’t seen any beagles this year. They have Suzi a black and white mixed breed and a pug. The pug tries to track the bunnies and I laugh every time I see it.

I was planning on putting in a new fence this Spring before house fire changed my plans.  My neighbors got a pretty, while, vinyl picket fencing and I thought about it.

But I think I'm sticking with 3 1/2' to 4' chain link fence.  In any case, I'll probably have until 2021 to decide.

I'm thinking both in terms of no maintenance over the next decade and value when I sell the house.

5 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I never heard of splitting fence costs. 

This sounds like a bad idea to me.  Just too many possible 'issues' that could happen over the years.   I'd let the neighbor build the cedar fence.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband is so funny.

He digs holes for me, for planting shrubs.   I said "I need a big ass hole."  He replies back..."You're a big ass hole."  

Took me a second to get it.  

HAHA

Different people like different bedroom activities, most of us just don't talk about it here.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Easily, I am sure.

I never heard of splitting fence costs. 

If you don't do things yourself, it can be expensive for sure.

I didn't ask my neighbor's or talk to them at all about it.  His deck was falling apart recently, and his fix was to cut half of it out and he threw it on the side of the yard where my bedroom looks out upon.  

They rarely mow.  Their house looks like hell.  We are just throwing up a fence and walling everyone out.  

Yes, I am slightly crabby about those people. I don't like people who are mean to their dog.  He lives on a 10 foot chain in the backyard.  Totally neglected. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

If you don't do things yourself, it can be expensive for sure.

Depends, I like to think I am more capable that I turned out to be.  I'm pretty good with all things wood, not bad with plumbing, decent enough with electrical, but when it comes to bikes, a common phrase I would hear from the shop guy was, "what did you try to do now...".

Don't even get me started on cars.  Now to work on a car you need a million dollars in tools, PhDs in mechanical, electrical, structural, material... engineering.  I don't even bother to open the hood.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I need to put up a rabbit fence. 

I put mine in last week in about 5 minutes. For raccoons or possums that devoured a pineapple waiting to ripen a couple years ago. Fencing worked last year so doing it again.

Actual fence in background is neighbor’s so I get the clean side rather than the framing. This week she started replacing. Back property line has a hedge and the other neighbor planted fern as lower ground cover. It took over and spread everywhere. Grrrrrr! Need to clean out but fern seed pods are like digging up potatoes.

3A06A238-2EBA-4620-ADD2-1BCD450AD9C3.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Depends, I like to think I am more capable that I turned out to be.  I'm pretty good with all things wood, not bad with plumbing, decent enough with electrical, but when it comes to bikes, a common phrase I would hear from the shop guy was, "what did you try to do now...".

Don't even get me started on cars.  Now to work on a car you need a million dollars in tools, PhDs in mechanical, electrical, structural, material... engineering.  I don't even bother to open the hood.

What little skill I have is more on the mechanical side than home maintenance. I was happy when I replaced a shower head yesterday withoot causing a plumbing disaster.  At least not yet. 

28 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

I put mine in last week in about 5 minutes. For raccoons or possums that devoured a pineapple waiting to ripen a couple years ago. Fencing worked last year so doing it again.

Actual fence in background is neighbor’s so I get the clean side rather than the framing. This week she started replacing. Back property line has a hedge and the other neighbor planted fern as lower ground cover. It took over and spread everywhere. Grrrrrr! Need to clean out but fern seed pods are like digging up potatoes.

DUDE!  You grew a pineapple.  I am super duper jealous.  

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Ah.  You are coming to grips with owning a Beemer.

5 hours ago, Tizeye said:

I have a palm tree in the front yard. It's infertile though. No coconuts. Unless they are the moss.

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Nah, it was the same with my Camry's.  The thing that scares me with this car, repairs will be a wee bit more expensive.

Hmm...  a wee bit more expensive.  I hope it's not like our old (and gone for 10 years) Land Rover.  If you have to ask you can't afford the repairs.   I called it our Land Rover tax.  I'll bet... the Camry your big expense will be new tires.   

Years ago, to pay for college, I installed fences for a contractor (a sub contractor for Sears at the time).   95% of the work was chain link fences.   I hated to install wood fences.  Vinyl covered aluminium , I'd never want that for a fence.   OMG did we have some "interesting" situations...  I'll just say, lots of neighbors don't like each other very much.    

16 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Hmm...  a wee bit more expensive.  I hope it's not like our old (and gone for 10 years) Land Rover.  If you have to ask you can't afford the repairs.   I called it our Land Rover tax.  I'll bet... the Camry your big expense will be new tires.   

It brings me joy, that comes at a price.  When it no longer brings me joy, I'll sell it and buy an Outback.

I dread tire replacement.

For now I am still under warranty, so I don't worry too much.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'll sell it and buy an Outback.

:D  We sold our Land Rover and purchased a Subaru Forester.  WoBG liked the Mercedes... I told her no...  When the Forster wears out, I can buy another and still be money ahead.

10 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I can understand that...  You probably are good friends or at least like you neighbor.   

Big company spin off from the railroad owns the section of land north of us.  Only met the representative once or twice, although he lives in town.  They were replacing miles of fence after fires the year before, and had a supply of metal fence posts and wire.  We supplied labor and some other supplies.  You fence out here to keep other critters off your property, as that is your responsibility as a property owner.  Way different than living in the city or suburbs. Might add, that we cannot even see that fence from the house.