Theory of mind

Wilbur

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Wth are you talking about?

Theory of mind is the ability to attribute mental states — beliefs, intents, desires, emotions, knowledge, etc. — to oneself and to others. Theory of mind is necessary to understand that others have beliefs, desires, intentions, and perspectives that are different from one's own.[1] Theory of mind is crucial for everyday human social interactions and is used when analyzing, judging, and inferring others' behaviors.[2]Deficits can occur in people with autism spectrum disorders, genetic-based eating disorders, schizophrenia,  attention deficit hyperactivity disorder,[3] cocaine addiction,[4] and brain damage suffered from alcohol's neurotoxicity;[5] deficits associated with opiate addiction reverse after prolonged abstinence.[6] Theory of mind is distinct from  philosophy of mind.

I wonder how much this coincides with the autism expansion in my lifetime?  I know FAR too many people who have a complete lack of empathy and an amazing ability to not see a topic from different perspectives.  The focus that brings to some topics is powerful, but on the flip side, it definitely needs to be tempered by normal folks filling in the gray areas.

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Theory of mind is crucial for everyday human social interactions and is used when analyzing, judging, and inferring others' behaviors

I think "crucial" is a poor choice of terms. "Important" or "valuable", but there are way too many successful folks with a lack of awareness, that I doubt it can be considered crucial.

Theory of mind requires that you are capable of learning at the top-end of the five dimensions of learning: Productive Habits of Mind.

When teachers teach a lesson, it is often most effective if it is designed so different ways of learning are involved and as many senses as possible are involved, from simple rote memorizing to integrating knowledge to extending and using knowledge in new situations to abstract thinking, the pinnacle that includes: "Respond appropriately to others' feelings and level of knowledge," and "Generate new ways of viewing a situation that are outside the boundaries of our your own perceptions."

The high school chemistry and physics classes I taught were gift-and-talented and highly-able students and I did my best to get them to think for themselves! For example, instead of rote, recipe labs, I'd give them a set of actions they could do and let them figure out which ones to use and which order was required to reach the goal of the lab experiment.  High school curricula have become so awful at teaching people to seriously think that some colleges have considered requiring up to 40% of freshmen credit hours to be devoted to how-to-think based classes.

From an old word handout I got a long time ago:

Dimension 5: Productive Habits of Mind
The most effective learners have developed powerful habits of mind that enable them to think critically, think creatively, and regulate their behavior. These mental habits are listed below:

Critical thinking:

· Be accurate and seek accuracy

· Be clear and seek clarity

· Maintain an open mind

· Restrain impulsivity

· Take a position when the situation warrants it

· Respond appropriately to others' feelings and level of knowledge

Creative thinking:

· Persevere

· Push the limits of your knowledge and abilities

· Generate, trust, and maintain your own standards of evaluation 

Generate new ways of viewing a situation that are outside the boundaries of our your own perceptions