The story of the brick guys

Airehead

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I was going to post this but the other video went over like a lead balloon.  :)   I like the welders comment as well.  "Don't be the best female welder, be the best welder." 

There are actually a growing number od stone masons and bricklayers in my area.  They make a bloody good living at it too. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Not true, I watched it, now YT thinks I like stuff like that and have seen more of his stuff.  Cool guy.

If you only influence one person in life, your work is done.

So far, I am -1 and +1.  Can I retire?  I influenced two people, just 1 in the wrong direction. :) 

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So far, I am -1 and +1.  Can I retire?  I influenced two people, just 1 in the wrong direction. :) 

I am the world's most negative person, but even I would focus on the +1.  Even if it is just me whose life you improved.

I loved the Mike video, the guitar video you posted a year or three ago was also amazing.  I've watched at least 100 guitar restoration videos since.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

That is wicked pissa lookin.

That is your New England background talking. :D 

In a similar vein, southern WV is gorgeous for a rock lover like me, with limestone outcroppings in the fields.  And that wall reminds me of the gorgeous depression-era walls and bridges and other stone work on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I agree, beautiful!  I always liked walls that fade into the landscape.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Zackny said:

Very nice! Seems stone mason work is becoming a lost art.

I've watch PBS shows like This Old House where they did they chose what kind of block for a walkway, laid a foundation under it, etc. and find it absolutely fascinating.

After my home is rebuilt I may do or have-done something like that!

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've watch PBS shows like This Old House where they did they chose what kind of block for a walkway, laid a foundation under it, etc. and find it absolutely fascinating.

After my home is rebuilt I may do or have-done something like that!

A friend of mine is a stone mason, as was his father and grandfather. He works for himself and does custom homes in the Adirondacks. He has done some beautiful work in some magnificent homes.

when you see some of the older stone buildings like some of the big churches, the work that went into those buildings was amazing. For some, one building was their life’s work.

• Heart 1

21 hours ago, Rick5234 said:

The Lost Satisfactions of Manual Competence

I have to read this? :(  Isn't there are app for that?

When we built our new home the one unexpected thing I learned was just how many 'trade' people are older and they don't see too many young people learning their trades.   OMG these young people may have to get off of their parents couch and actually work.  

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1