The story of how it ends

maddmaxx

Uh oh, there's that pain again, the one in the chest just forward of the armpit.  You've had this before and it's just some sort of cramp.  Do your relaxing thing and find the position that the arm goes to make it fade away.

Not working this time.  You know you have to make it stop or it will get out of control.  More arm relaxing.  This is getting bad.  No stopping the pain now.

Get down on the floor.  Lay down. that has helped in the past.  Crap I'm in such pain I'm having trouble breathing.  The pain is getting worse not better.  Trying to sit up again.  Nausea, now I'm going to throw up on the living room rug.  Grab the trash can, dump everything on the floor and hunch over it cross legged. 

Maybe this isn't "my cramp".  It's still on the wrong side, the right, but this really hurts.  Chest Pain, Nausea, right arm uggghhhhh.

Wait, it's stopped, the pain is fading away just like that.  It's over.  This is an old friend that's happened many times before.  My doctor has no idea what it is other than a cramp.  I've been to the ER twice in the last 30 years of so because of this and they don't know what it is.  This is like a dozen in almost 30 years.

I wonder how it will be someday if it's on the other side.  That's gonna suck.

• Sad 10

YIKES! Once every couple years is definitely gonna make that hard to "reproduce" for a doctor.  Seemingly, though, it also hasn't killed to in that time, so maybe just painful and not "serious"?  That is an odd place for pain of the "pinched nerve" or sciatica or similar paralyzing types. 

Hoping you're clear for another few years.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Uh oh, there's that pain again, the one in the chest just forward of the armpit.  You've had this before and it's just some sort of cramp.  Do your relaxing thing and find the position that the arm goes to make it fade away.

Not working this time.  You know you have to make it stop or it will get out of control.  More arm relaxing.  This is getting bad.  No stopping the pain now.

Get down on the floor.  Lay down. that has helped in the past.  Crap I'm in such pain I'm having trouble breathing.  The pain is getting worse not better.  Trying to sit up again.  Nausea, now I'm going to throw up on the living room rug.  Grab the trash can, dump everything on the floor and hunch over it cross legged. 

Maybe this isn't "my cramp".  It's still on the wrong side, the right, but this really hurts.  Chest Pain, Nausea, right arm uggghhhhh.

Wait, it's stopped, the pain is fading away just like that.  It's over.  This is an old friend that's happened many times before.  My doctor has no idea what it is other than a cramp.  I've been to the ER twice in the last 30 years of so because of this and they don't know what it is.  This is like a dozen in almost 30 years.

I wonder how it will be someday if it's on the other side.  That's gonna suck.

Were you able to get the stress test you were arguing with the insurance company about within the last year?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The right arm thing doesn't fit.  Otherwise, I'd say you get your ass into another ER.  The nausea and chest pain are clear indicators though.  But the right arm thing -- peculiar.  

This is some sort of cramp.  The only thing the doctors haven't been able to determine is whether or not the muscles pinch off some blood supply.  Normally I can get past it quickly when it first happens by finding some neutral position for the arm and doing a little breathing exercise to relax the muscles.  This time I couldn't find a suitable place for the arm that would work and the pain got away before I could stop it.  Once the pain get too great it seems to be a self feeding problem.  It's always on the right side and the doctors have checked.  What heart I have is in the normal place.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It has always been wicked heartburn for me when that happens. 

I had 3 different scary incidents in 1.5 yrs., where it did feel tightenng near my heart..then my arm length was tingling.  I found I had to try to sit up and also breath slowly to calm myself down.  

I did get a cardio stress test. They couldn't see anything wrong with heart. Doctor feels it's a heartburn...and advised I press on my diaphragm.  I did talk to my sister-doc. about this also.

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

I'm glad you've had it checked out when it happened in the past, but sorry they haven't been able to identify what the problem is.  But I'm sure it must be very scary.

31 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Are you implying that I'm full of shit? 

No... I was serious.   Did you read the symptoms?  

This pain is usually in the middle or right side of your upper abdomen. It may also spread to your right shoulder or back.  Pain from acute cholecystitis can feel like sharp pain or dull cramps. It’s often described as excruciating.

Maybe...  it's as simple as you have gallstones from time to time.   (which still can be a very bad thing)

Have the doctors looked for something like this?

6 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

No... I was serious.   Did you read the symptoms?  

This pain is usually in the middle or right side of your upper abdomen. It may also spread to your right shoulder or back.  Pain from acute cholecystitis can feel like sharp pain or dull cramps. It’s often described as excruciating.

Maybe...  it's as simple as you have gallstones from time to time.   (which still can be a very bad thing)

Have the doctors looked for something like this?

It's much higher than that abdomen.  It's way up in the armpit in the muscles that come out of the arm and into the chest.  This has been going on since the early 90's.  Usually it's a minor blip and I deal with it correctly and quickly.  This time I lost control and the pain made the cramps worse which made the pain worse which............................  

Wow!

When I was around 18-21 I occasionally had what's called a "pseudo myocardial infarction" - a fake heart attack.

Just a severe pain lasting for a couple minutes, developing roughly in the area of the heart, which is allegedly caused by the heart chambers getting temporarily out of sync in pumping.

Some of my college friends also said they had them - that's how I found out what it was called.

I probably had it occur at least 5 times in my young life and had no idea you're supposed to get a major heart checkup if it occurs.

They're long gone and I've had two major heart checkups in the 2000's, both of which said I'm fine.

But I do get those occasional left-chest pains that are sharp and go away within a minute, but they're usually much higher up than the heart.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It's much higher than that abdomen.  It's way up in the armpit in the muscles that come out of the arm and into the chest.  This has been going on since the early 90's.  Usually it's a minor blip and I deal with it correctly and quickly.  This time I lost control and the pain made the cramps worse which made the pain worse which............................  

So, maybe you need to cut back on smoking so much pot. 

:console: 

• Haha 1