I love salt right now

Dirtyhip

I love it - too much, so I use Morton Lite Salt, 50% Sodium Chloride (regular table salt) and 50% Potassium Chloride and it is Iodized. It tastes like regular table salt. I've tried the ones that are 2/3 or 100% Potassium Chloride but they taste a little acrid with a burning sensation unless it's dissolved in a soup, sauce, etc. where the taste is disguised enough.

image.png.9fa3931ac587d7ddc296c02c2172ca81.png

• Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've noticed when I use powergels that have extra sodium, I don't crave it when I'm done...or as much. Those things work.

I had a cliff bar, one orange and a homemade chocolate chip cookie with sourdough starter in it. The cookie is a little salty too. I use salted butter and add salt to the recipe. Great homemade ride food

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Do you use any of the fancy gourmet salts in your cooking?

Yes. I do not buy a ton. We keep costs down in the house. My last splurge was Maldon. The shape is great. Tuscan is nice. 

Good ingredients make a meal special 

• Heart 2

Unfortunately yes, salt can be nice.  I just had 2 thin slices of prosciutto while waiting for pasta to cook now.

I haven't had any salt at home in about 2 yrs. I will buy in bulk about 3 tablespoons...should last for ages. I use it for making focaccia dough.

Instead we use abit of soy sauce.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Unfortunately yes, salt can be nice.  I just had 2 thin slices of prosciutto while waiting for pasta to cook now.

I haven't had any salt at home in about 2 yrs. I will buy in bulk about 3 tablespoons...should last for ages. I use it for making focaccia dough.

Instead we use abit of soy sauce.

Prosciutto makes life worth living

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I want to try some salt from Bali.  :wub:

I made salt from St. Simons bay water.  The first time it was a disaster. I just scooped up a bucket of water and evaporated it down. There was enough silt in the water to leave a brown gritty pile of sadness. The next time I let the bucket sit for a few days and the silt settled out. I siphoned the clear water off of the top and used that. It came out white that time, well grey white. 
I don’t trust the water quality there to use it for eating. St. Simons is a major shipping lane. God only knows what trace chemicals are in there. I did use it for photography though. Made a series of salt prints out of it. They came out pretty good but are not archival, slowly fading away.  

17 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I love it - too much, so I use Morton Lite Salt, 50% Sodium Chloride (regular table salt) and 50% Potassium Chloride and it is Iodized. It tastes like regular table salt. I've tried the ones that are 2/3 or 100% Potassium Chloride but they taste a little acrid with a burning sensation unless it's dissolved in a soup, sauce, etc. where the taste is disguised enough.

image.png.9fa3931ac587d7ddc296c02c2172ca81.png

Not good if you are predisposed to kidney disease. 

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

We  have lots of different salts, but use the Himalayan Pink Salt as regular salt, but seem to use a lot of kosher salt in cooking.

Same.  If you are going to eat salt, at least use the most nutrient rich salts.  It tastes much better as well. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

I made salt from St. Simons bay water.  The first time it was a disaster. I just scooped up a bucket of water and evaporated it down. There was enough silt in the water to leave a brown gritty pile of sadness. The next time I let the bucket sit for a few days and the silt settled out. I siphoned the clear water off of the top and used that. It came out white that time, well grey white. 
I don’t trust the water quality there to use it for eating. St. Simons is a major shipping lane. God only knows what trace chemicals are in there. I did use it for photography though. Made a series of salt prints out of it. They came out pretty good but are not archival, slowly fading away.  

Ah, I always forget about that.  

I wonder what the safest would be.  Probably Himalayan.  

This is why we can't have nice things.  :mellow:  Pollution and ick.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Ah, I always forget about that.  

I wonder what the safest would be.  Probably Himalayan.  

This is why we can't have nice things.  :mellow:  Pollution and ick.

I would think most mined salt would be pretty good. It was laid down before human civilization, so no industrial pollutants. 
Evaporated salt however...

16 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yes. I do not buy a ton. We keep costs down in the house. My last splurge was Maldon. The shape is great. Tuscan is nice. 

Good ingredients make a meal special 

Good finishing salt is important.  Fleur de sel is great to have, I wish it wasn’t so expensive. 

20 minutes ago, Allen said:

Homemade sel gris?   How did it taste exactly?

16 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

They can’t all be winners

U should have tasted my homemade cheddar. :blink:

I haven’t tried making cheese yet.  Current fixation is fermenting, specifically hot sauce. Got one made from Scotch Bonnets that is actually acceptable.