Lulumon climbing now 'cause at home

shootingstar

So the stock value for lulumon is climbing. https://business.financialpost.com/investing/lululemon-hits-record-on-high-hopes-for-athleisure-trend

Are people really spending a lot of time outdoors with their high priced stuff?  Who would spend so much money for yoga/tights....at home?  Meanwhile I'm wearing a T-shirt from 25 years ago, for working from home. (I very rarely turn on my video for work folks.)

Just now, shootingstar said:

So the stock value for lulumon is climbing. https://business.financialpost.com/investing/lululemon-hits-record-on-high-hopes-for-athleisure-trend

Are people really spending a lot of time outdoors with their high priced stuff?  Who would spend so much money for yoga/tights....at home?  Meanwhile I'm wearing a T-shirt from 25 years ago, for working from home. (I very rarely turn on my video for work folks.)

Millennials. I think daughter #1 likes their stuff. Daughter #2 is cheap like me. :D

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would buy it if I wasn't so frugal. 

They have a pair of camo leggings that I would love to buy.  They are $98 dollars.  Are they insane?  No way am I paying $100 for a pair of leggings.

Fabletics has better prices.

The only thing I've liked, are their skorts (not all lines).  I have and wear several since skorts are great for shorter bike trips and getting off to walk around in stores, restaurants and be at a BBQ, in a graceful way.  However, in pandemic times, who even looks at my bottom from a computer screen.

• Heart 1

Their niche market is the 25-45 y.o. woman who wants to look athletic.  They are pretty high quality clothes that perform well for athletics but are more enjoyed by the at home Mom set with moderate to high income.  They established themselves in the high end garment business with intent as that is where the money is.  Thus the fancy mall locations.  They have been a retail success story with the odd hiccup like the see through version and the founding CEO saying "No fat chicks, please".  :)  Not those words but close.  It is an iconic Canadian brand, much like Canada goose.

He since sold control but remains an active advisor to the board.  He is living on an island on the West coast and has a Global Express to move around the globe. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

I just recently heard of them, and yes they're prices seem high for stuff. I have no idea how the quality is.

My daughter loves their tights and has several.  It is pricey but they make quality stuff that lasts.  They also warranty their clothing.

$100 may seem steep for leggings but I guess it’s a matter of priorities. 

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

My daughter loves their tights and has several.  It is pricey but they make quality stuff that lasts.  They also warranty their clothing.

$100 may seem steep for leggings but I guess it’s a matter of priorities. 

They also have men's wear and the pants are pretty darn comfortable for casual wear.  Maybe it's an age thing but jeans annoy the hell out of me after a while and Dockers... No!  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

:runcirclsmiley:

Back in the day, they sponsored a women's team:

image.thumb.png.cbc5609cf788fee42ff13f9e4352c1d8.png

image.thumb.png.d6a7b0ea12c75b3cf29f63b1cf8e18ab.png

Several years ago I was cruising along a MUP riding at a pace I thought was pretty fast when a bunch of the ladies from the Lululemon teamed passed me like I was freaking riding backwards!  

That was pretty cool.

• Heart 4

21 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

They also have men's wear and the pants are pretty darn comfortable for casual wear.  Maybe it's an age thing but jeans annoy the hell out of me after a while and Dockers... No!  

$100 men’s tights aren’t a priority for me! 😁

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

They are $98 dollars.  Are they insane? 

No.  That is where they established themselves in the retail industry.  For sportswear, they are a luxury brand.  People pay for that.  

I make leather wallets, belts, handbags etc.  I can sell a simple card wallet all day long for $120.  They are handmade and using the best leathers.  Fendi or Hermes or LV make the same thing using crap leather, machine stitched and they charge $750-$1200.  They sell them all day long as well.  There is no reason other than people pay for what they perceive as luxury items. 

I make high quality leather belts, saddle stitched by hand around the perimeter, solid brass or nickel buckles and get up to $300 for them.  The high end guys use lesser materials, sew them by machine and charge $1800-$2200.  

Of course cheap versions are available at Target but they aren't the same thing.  They just look it.  Those are the products the masses buy. 

• Hugs 1

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

No.  That is where they established themselves in the retail industry.  For sportswear, they are a luxury brand.  People pay for that.  

I make leather wallets, belts, handbags etc.  I can sell a simple card wallet all day long for $120.  They are handmade and using the best leathers.  Fendi or Hermes or LV make the same thing using crap leather, machine stitched and they charge $750-$1200.  They sell them all day long as well.  There is no reason other than people pay for what they perceive as luxury items. 

I make high quality leather belts, saddle stitched by hand around the perimeter, solid brass or nickel buckles and get up to $300 for them.  The high end guys use lesser materials, sew them by machine and charge $1800-$2200.  

Of course cheap versions are available at Target but they aren't the same thing.  They just look it.  Those are the products the masses buy. 

Clearly Wilbur you will have your global informal network of high income customers to be interested in your product .. at  a nicer price.  Must be your off-ramp side gig. 

59 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Their niche market is the 25-45 y.o. woman 

...and her daughter. Lululemon is the yoga pant of choice at the high school where I work. Especially the style with a cell phone pocket. 

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have tried their pants but cant wear them.  I have big thighs.  From swimming as a youngster, to a catcher when I played ball competitively, to swimming with fins to riding a bike, my thighs have stayed big.  The pants are for normal shaped people.  A friend wears them and loves them.  I wear a similar style from Eddie Bauer's 

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Clearly Wilbur you will have your global informal network of high income customers to be interested in your product .. at  a nicer price.  Must be your off-ramp side gig. 

You would be surprised.  Most is word of mouth and moderate income folks.  I don't advertise or do Etsy.  People don't mind paying for high quality handmade items, especially if they can be customized or personalized. 

• Awesome 1

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I have tried their pants but cant wear them.  I have big thighs.  From swimming as a youngster, to a catcher when I played ball competitively, to swimming with fins to riding a bike, my thighs have stayed big.  The pants are for normal shaped people.  A friend wears them and loves them.  I wear a similar style from Eddie Bauer's 

I wear Eddies as well but find them a little bulky.  

43 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I find it funny when us cyclists will plunk down thousands on bikes and gear but will balk at $100 yoga pants!   Yeah well $200 for a helmet is fine but hell no on the $100 yoga pants! 

No kidding.

Lululemon is known for high quality. Shit lasts.

Anyone ever look at Rapha. A friend of mine has a $400 rain jacket from Gore. Damn it's nice. 

• Heart 2

My son has a couple pairs of men’s slacks and he loves them. He manages a Subway and does site setup/tear down for a running event company. He said they are more flexible than any other pants he has owned. 
As for jeans, check out Target’s house brand, Goodfellow and Co. They have in most every cut. They were my first experience with Lycra blend jeans. They slims fit me well and are super comfortable. They handled 10 hour days in the car and I was still comfortable enough to wear the same jeans out to dinner that evening. For $30, they are a deal!  

• Awesome 1

LL Bean is my go to fo most clothes. Good quality, good returns, fairly reasonably priced.
For shirts I do have a penchant for Irish collarless shirts. Cotton ones are around $50, and linen ones are about a bill. 
And for shoes I’m spending at least a hundred bucks. 

49 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I actually have some Nike pants that look similar and are my favorites.

I have some Columbia pants from Costco...$16 iirc

well, they aren't similar, and not stretchy & not all that stylish. But it's close!

• Heart 1

A friend of mine gets pro deals galore. Yesterday, he said Pearl Izumi was 50% off, what did I need. Scarpa, Dynafit, Fischer. He got me a pair of Smith prescription sunglasses at 40% off. 

My GF was sponsored by Marmot. She's got amazing jackets and outdoor gear. We'll go for a ride and she'll whip out a jacket the size of a cliffbar.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, groupw said:

My son has a couple pairs of men’s slacks and he loves them. He manages a Subway and does site setup/tear down for a running event company. He said they are more flexible than any other pants he has owned. 
As for jeans, check out Target’s house brand, Goodfellow and Co. They have in most every cut. They were my first experience with Lycra blend jeans. They slims fit me well and are super comfortable. They handled 10 hour days in the car and I was still comfortable enough to wear the same jeans out to dinner that evening. For $30, they are a deal!  

If I wear jeans, that is what I wear as well.  The lycra does make them hot in warm, humid weather though.  

22 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

If I wear jeans, that is what I wear as well.  The lycra does make them hot in warm, humid weather though.  

Lycra in any pant is a killer for me. We don't spend much time in air conditioned environments, thus pants with lycra are way to  warm. I live in jeans, but that is just me.  I normally buy Dickies over the web.

6 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Lycra in any pant is a killer for me. We don't spend much time in air conditioned environments, thus pants with lycra are way to  warm. I live in jeans, but that is just me.  I normally buy Dickies over the web.

For me, they pack and travel well, especially in Europe where irons are not always available.  But, Italy in summer out for dinner when long pants are required, they are horrible. 

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

For me, they pack and travel well, especially in Europe where irons are not always available.  But, Italy in summer out for dinner when long pants are required, they are horrible. 

We have very different needs, and I can't imagine living in your world. Closest I came was when I taught at Texas A&M, and was expected to be very presentable everyday. Needless to say I am not very worldly. I can see where they fit needs of some folks, thus, the continued sales. Take care and have a Great Day.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

We have very different needs, and I can't imagine living in your world. Closest I came was when I taught at Texas A&M, and was expected to be very presentable everyday. Needless to say I am not very worldly. I can see where they fit needs of some folks, thus, the continued sales. Take care and have a Great Day.

I once took a course from an expensive consultant who wore the same disheveled clothes every darn day!  He was a strange bird. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Scrapr said:

I have some Columbia pants from Costco...$16 iirc

well, they aren't similar, and not stretchy & not all that stylish. But it's close!

My favorite fleece flannel jacket was $11 at Costco.  Yeah score on the pants!