Why are indians always really fat?

Randomguy

I disagree, not all are like that.

It's hard....to me....to always know if the person is native Indian since I'm conscious that some part-Asians looks native Indian.

But just thinking the First Nations (that is an accepted term in Canada from everyone's perspective) who appear on tv camera, in films and in the news in the past 2 yrs....some just look normal weight.  

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

WRONG!  Every one on camera is huge.   The camera adds ten pounds, the hundred pounds is the part that needs explanation.

25 minutes ago, roadsue said:

No way I am reading that, what is the postcard version?

6 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It's hard....to me....to always know if the person is native Indian since I'm conscious that some part-Asians looks native Indian.

But just thinking the First Nations (that is an accepted term in Canada from everyone's perspective) who appear on tv camera, in films and in the news in the past 2 yrs....some just look normal weight.  

Of course not all natives are obese, that is just RGs way of -shall we say- endearing generalizations.   They (in my experiences on first nations land on both coasts) have a higher obesity rate, and higher childhood Obesity rates compares to non natives living in the same area.  

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

If like here..., poor lifestyle, poor diet.

many American Indian communities where poverty, unemployment, and psychosocial stress are too common. Historical and present-day prejudice, exploitation, and attacks on sovereignty and identity play large roles in the daily lives of tribal members (Cook, 2011).

Many American Indian communities are changing from consumption of traditional, locally grown or caught foods to commodities (Compher, 2006; Kuhnlein et al., 2004; Sharma et al., 2009). Store bought foods are characteristically energy dense but nutritionally weak; fresh fruits and vegetables are rare in local stores mirroring the food deserts of poor urban neighborhoods. 

• Awesome 1

Multi-generational households, emphasis on family participation, commodified diet leading to high rates of diabetes and heart disease, and limited running water sources have contributed to the significantly higher rates of CoVid-19 on the Navajo reservation. 

12 minutes ago, roadsue said:

many American Indian communities where poverty, unemployment, and psychosocial stress are too common. Historical and present-day prejudice, exploitation, and attacks on sovereignty and identity play large roles in the daily lives of tribal members (Cook, 2011).

Many American Indian communities are changing from consumption of traditional, locally grown or caught foods to commodities (Compher, 2006; Kuhnlein et al., 2004; Sharma et al., 2009). Store bought foods are characteristically energy dense but nutritionally weak; fresh fruits and vegetables are rare in local stores mirroring the food deserts of poor urban neighborhoods. 

This is what I have seen/experienced in a nutshell.  

https://www.fnha.ca/WellnessSite/WellnessDocuments/Traditional_Food_Facts_Sheets.pdf

Like we all know, to eat traditionally...is cooking from scratch which takes time for some individuals to switch.  It helps to be raised by parent(s) who cooked from scratch.  Of course foraging, harvesting, is the ultimate.

Seaweed, fish heads, etc. ....except I'm more familiar with creating fish broth from 1-2 salmon fish heads which makes a great consommé base. Yes, I've gone to the market to get a cheapie fish head or 2. :)  

Well you know, don't waste the food.

• Awesome 1

It's like some low-income states, poor diet.

My father and I spent a lot of time one day on the Northern Cheyenne Reservation near the Little Bighorn Battlefield and stopped and talked to some of the residents. They weren't fat.  For the prior year I had done extensive research. I had maps from the 1800's superimposed on modern ones and made extensive notes as to the locations of various sites - like how many miles away from a certain creek Sitting Bull held his great Sun Dance where his arms where slashed with 50 small cuts that made him hallucinate. He saw soldiers falling dead into the Sioux and Cheyenne camp and that was a big reason they were so confident against Custer - in addition to outnumbering him 3 to 1 and having better weapons!  The reason I eventually found the site is because I found that the name of the creek referenced in the 1800's no longer had that name in the 1900's - but another creek did and that caused confusion. But I knew the truth!

I found the location and the background hills are as majestic as any cathedral I've been in, from Notre Dame in Paris to Hagia Sophia in Istanbul to the National Cathedral in D.C.

I talked to a man who was a member of the Northern Cheyenne Council who ran a small gift shop and asked him why there was no marker along the road.  He wrote down all the info from my notes and said he'd look into it.  Maybe he was just being courteous, but maybe they got something done.

13 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Of course foraging, harvesting, is the ultimate.

One of the Public Broadcasting Service stations here is First Nations Experience (FeX). There is a cooking show hosted by a chef who uses foraged ingredients to inspire his Native community to eat more closely to the land. 

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I suspect socio-economic reasons.  Mexican Indians are very heavy as well.

The nih.gov info states high birthweight babies to begin with, then poverty effects contribute to higher BMI. It also hints that BMI is a standard of measurement imposed by the non-native medical culture. Maybe a traditional native standard for size would suggest body mass isn't a thing.   

9 hours ago, roadsue said:

The nih.gov info states high birthweight babies to begin with, then poverty effects contribute to higher BMI. It also hints that BMI is a standard of measurement imposed by the non-native medical culture. Maybe a traditional native standard for size would suggest body mass isn't a thing.   

Would be more meaningful for those studies, if there were significant differences between those who live in reserves vs. off-reserve. For those quite rural, it might be tougher to have a broader range of food choices without driving a significant distance. And you have to have money...to have a car.

I guess I have a slightly different opinion after seeing some local First Nations people, board transit buses/trains, walking pathways..while I bike along.  I ASSUME they are native, but not sure.  They have the trace look to me,  of many thousands of years ago from Asia.  (But hey, folks you could say both of my nieces look native Indian....because they are half white).  Probably some regional differences among various groups.  

I don't know...except going to some local events in Vancouver and Calgary, where there are First Nation dancers and singers....they didn't look obese to me.  Maybe their activities make them happier and healthier I don't think they are exceptions.

It's like saying because most of us in the forum have biked often at some point in our lives, we're exceptions HEALTH-WISE in the general population...because we've tried to do something consciously better for our health.  Maybe we are exceptions.  Or not.