So, you want to see my rolls? Or, maybe they’re buns.

MoseySusan

17 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

For me, they are buns, as in 'hot dog bun' or hamburger bun.

A roll is something that is eaten as a standalone, just some butter and (hopefully) fancy molasses

dinner-rolls-recipe-title-500x500.jpg

That photo is a dinner roll. We use those when we eat ham buns. 

They're rolls.  At one point, I was making them from Whole Wheat Flour or 50% Whole Wheat, 50% Bread Flour to be "healthier."

I mixed the dough in an automatic breadmaker, then shaped and baked the roll-sized loaves.  At first they were dense, which I like with soup but not in a sandwich.

The way I got them to be as light as store-bought rolls was to add 1 tsp of Vital Wheat Gluten per cup of flour. VWG is a powder often found in a small box or bottle in the baking items aisle in the supermarket.  Gluten is a protein - an bunch of amino acids linked end-to-end, and the molecules grabs other gluten proteins to become very long chains of amino acid proteins when heated.  THAT is what provides the ability to hold air bubbles in the dough and allow enough air inside the rolls to make them light.

So, the more gluten, the lighter the bread.

24 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

They're rolls.  At one point, I was making them from Whole Wheat Flour or 50% Whole Wheat, 50% Bread Flour to be "healthier."

I mixed the dough in an automatic breadmaker, then shaped and baked the roll-sized loaves.  At first they were dense, which I like with soup but not in a sandwich.

The way I got them to be as light as store-bought rolls was to add 1 tsp of Vital Wheat Gluten per cup of flour. VWG is a powder often found in a small box or bottle in the baking items aisle in the supermarket.  Gluten is a protein - an bunch of amino acids linked end-to-end, and the molecules grabs other gluten proteins to become very long chains of amino acid proteins when heated.  THAT is what provides the ability to hold air bubbles in the dough and allow enough air inside the rolls to make them light.

So, the more gluten, the lighter the bread.

America’s Test Kitchen explains how to develop the gluten strands without adding VWG powder. Proportions of flour to water, and then a 15 minute rest before kneading.