Saving Gravel Roads in Virginia

I'm sure @dennis can appreciate it, and @MickinMD can appreciate the historical stuff.  I've got a few new routes mapped out - one that takes me pretty close to Unison, VA.

The story (and this video) isover a year old, but made my local news recently and obviously ties in well with the growth in gravel riding.

and another related one:

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, dennis said:

That's a great story. I like they organized to save the roads in the name of history. Those stone walls are beautiful. 

What's funny (in a sad way) is I ride AROUND those dirt roads on a lot of my road rides - always wondering where they go.

What's great is that this time of WFH has gotten me the time and focus to actually see where they are, how to access them, and figure out a plan to ride them soon.   I do love finding something new to see.

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What's funny (in a sad way) is I ride AROUND those dirt roads on a lot of my road rides - always wondering where they go.

What's great is that this time of WFH has gotten me the time and focus to actually see where they are, how to access them, and figure out a plan to ride them soon.   I do love finding something new to see.

Gravel roads often lead to beautiful places. Your commuter would be a great exploration bike. I'm looking forward to the photos. 

• Heart 1

I wish they would pave my road. A good gravel road is ok but most of the time my road is snot good. They don’t do any maintenance on the road until it is  so bad you can hardly drive an SUV on it. Then they dump loads of chunky loose gravel on it. I’m about the only one that rides it on a bike.

• Sad 1

• 2 years later...