SpaceX Launch

Razors Edge

Anyone have plans to watch it tomorrow?

image.thumb.png.a67bff8dea84844db9183885825c5805.png

SpaceX is targeting Wednesday, May 27 for Falcon 9’s launch of Crew Dragon’s second demonstration (Demo-2) mission from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. This test flight with NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley on board the Dragon spacecraft will return human spaceflight to the United States.

The instantaneous launch window opens at 4:33 p.m. EDT, or 20:33 UTC, with backup instantaneous launch opportunities available on Saturday, May 30 at 3:22 p.m. EDT, or 19:22 UTC, and on Sunday, May 31 at 3:00 p.m. EDT, or 19:00 UTC. Tune in here to watch the launch webcast. Coverage will begin about 4 hours before liftoff.

Demo-2 is the final major test for SpaceX’s human spaceflight system to be certified by NASA for operational crew missions to and from the International Space Station. SpaceX is returning human spaceflight to the United States with one of the safest, most advanced systems ever built, and NASA’s Commercial Crew Program is a turning point for America’s future in space exploration that lays the groundwork for future missions to the Moon, Mars, and beyond.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I hope it isn't delayed but there are chances for thunderstorms near the cape tomorrow.

But then, when aren't there chances for afternoon thunderstorms in Florida.

Is it just streamed on SpaceX.com? Or is there a better option?

I'm not, but I have a friend whose husband insisted they return from their weekend trip a day early so that he could watch this. Actually, they were visiting her family, so maybe it's just an excuse and he doesn't really care.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, The_Karen_Cooper_Incident said:

They cancelled it.  Bad weather.

Yeah, I was watching the live coverage on the Discovery Channel. It got scrubbed at about 16 minutes to launch due to weather. They're going to try again on Saturday.

Normally I can see launches from my home but was way too overcast. Occasionally, I will go to Titusville and watch then battle the traffic on return. Plan to but not this one as too popular. Yesterday was returning home from a photo shoot, crossing Lake Jessup bridge around 1:00 and there was an ominous cloud front ahead that looked like two funnels forming. I grabbed my camera off the front seat (unfortunately with an ultrawide angle 16-35mm lens mounted) to have ready but never touched ground. It was that weather system that made it over to the launch site around 3:00. Then there was the concern if had to abort shortly after launch, the flight path takes them over tropical depression Bertha off South Carolina and rough seas for a rescue.

While the initial graphic shows the mother ship waiting to receive returning rocket, even more impressive, earlier stages, rather than directing into the sea, are now guided back to the launch area. In addition to seeing the rocket launch, you can now see the parachute return to a landing pad. That is the other reason I want to go. 

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

It's not like the old days anymore.  It's more like watching a movie like Avatar.

I think and suspect this is going to be more common place in the future and only die hard fanatics will be interested in watching it. I personally like all the cameras.  

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I think and suspect this is going to be more common place in the future and only die hard fanatics will be interested in watching it. I personally like all the cameras.  

I'll keep watching.  I've watched every manned launch there was including some I had to get up at ungodly hours to see.

I do like the new names for the capsul, the engines, even the recovery drone ship.  One is named "Of course I still love you" and another is named "Just read the instructions"

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

I may watch it. 19 hours to reach the space station. God that’s a long time to sit in that capsule. 

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah it is. 

They were announcing that they are now supposed to focus on food and sleep.  I wonder if it's easier or harder to fall asleep in a capsule in space?

Just now, Dottles said:

They were announcing that they are now supposed to focus on food and sleep.  I wonder if it's easier or harder to fall asleep in a capsule in space?

No turbulence, no radio chatter, no wind noise.   It would be easy to sleep.  Especially if they flood the capsule with Ambien.  :) 

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

No turbulence, no radio chatter, no wind noise.   It would be easy to sleep.  Especially if they flood the capsule with Ambien.  :) 

Well, I'm just thinking the adrenaline rush has got to be so high even for seasoned astronauts that I personally would have a hard time -- especially knowing fire and Earth was at my back.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I'm just thinking the adrenaline rush has got to be so high even for seasoned astronauts that I personally would have a hard time -- especially knowing fire and Earth was at my back.

They are just meat bombs anyways.  They have yet to touch the controls.  I think you resign yourself to that when you join the program. 

Too cloudy across street where usually take photos so had to watch on TV. Daughter called from Switzerland seconds before launch. Turns out they were on a  minute or two delay, so we would see the launch, and then they would. Was 4 y/o's bedtime but he stayed up to see his first launch. Was all excited and debated how we were supposed to introduce ourselves to aliens. :D The creative mind of a 4 y/o. Also knew was close to grandpa's house and he had been on that beach next to it during his visit.

When they let it slip that the spacecraft was called "Jason", it set off a fury of what it meant. Wife sent an email to the TV station and over the air, "One of our viewers suggested that it was with the dragon launch, this was Jason and the Argonaughts, or as Elon Must might change it...Jason and the Astronauts."

Viewing from Switzerland...

Launch.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1