Too many healthy recipes - here's a twist on Sloppy Joes

MickinMD

I like Sloppy Joes made from 1 lb ground beef, 1 red bell pepper, and 1 medium-sized sweet onion. and either garlic or garlic powder.

It's less meaty than the usual but I like it and, of course, the onion and pepper make it healthier

The very tricky instructions are: a tbsp oilive oit to start things off, crumble and fry the ground beef, let it get rid of water and begin to brown, toss in the chopped pepper and then the chopped onion and, near the end, add the garlic or garlic powder then the Sloppy Joe mix.  It looks like this:

20200526_184736.jpg.6f948727cd64b17c3a7204a73090e11e.jpg 20200526_185211.jpg.daadc082de792665527fa609307ff72d.jpg

• Heart 2

I worked with a guy that liked to hunt, he liked to cook, and he liked to eat. He would have his whole deer ground up into burger. His wife wouldn’t eat venison so he would make up a roaster full of his home made sloppy joes made with the venison and he would feed the whole shop. He would tell us ahead of time so we could plan our lunch accordingly. His are the only sloppy joes I have ever had that were better than Manwich.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I worked with a guy that liked to hunt, he liked to cook, and he liked to eat. He would have his whole deer ground up into burger. His wife wouldn’t eat venison so he would make up a roaster full of his home made sloppy joes made with the venison and he would feed the whole shop. He would tell us ahead of time so we could plan our lunch accordingly. His are the only sloppy joes I have ever had that were better than Manwich.

Seems like almost a waste of deer to put into ground meat...  however if that's what got people to eat it....  Next best thing is venison sausage combined with certain spices or blueberries in the meat. Then cooked.

Sure I've had deer various times....done in a nice way.  

3 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Seems like almost a waste of deer to put into ground meat...  however if that's what got people to eat it....  Next best thing is venison sausage combined with certain spices or blueberries in the meat. Then cooked.

Sure I've had deer various times....done in a nice way.  

I can imagine that some of the tougher pieces would do well ground up, but the WHOLE thing.  Grinding up the backstrap piece would be blasphemy. What a waste a nice cut of meat.

Now, if he did that to a backstrap from an elk, he should go to jail for that.  Straight to jail.

• Haha 1