hope you all have a good wednesday

bikeman564™

Busy next couple of days for me.  Several meetings and a couple difficult client requests to deal with and our Sales Manager is in the hospital with a heart attack we decided to have Monday night.  He appears to be recovering but I haven't bugged him for an update.

• Sad 1

I have a double dental appointment - two crowns installed (temp crowns been in since February) and a cleaning. I want to get everything done before my dental insurance runs out next month.

Then I have to go out to Scott Air Force Base to get a prescription refilled. It's not like pulling up to a CVS. It's about 23 times more complicated and takes much longer. The flip side is that it's free for me.

I did work an hour this morning. I've been transitioning my job to another guy as I only have about 7 more days of work!

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Busy next couple of days for me.  Several meetings and a couple difficult client requests to deal with and our Sales Manager is in the hospital with a heart attack we decided to have Monday night.  He appears to be recovering but I haven't bugged him for an update.

Yeah but is he still getting projections in?

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Ohhh new wheels!  What did you get?!?!

Shimano WH-RS500. Had planned to do Mavic, but he can’t get any for rim brake at this time. One of the guys at the shop had the Shimano wheels for a project he changed his mind about. Never used. Gave me a good deal. 

I’m pretty sure the ghost of Colin Chapman roams the halls of Stradalli! The stock wheels are very light, but bearings are prone to failure. The front is on it’s 3rd set of bearings and I was hearing a noise the last few rides. I don’t want to be caught in the middle of nowhere with another bearing failure. I wanted something fast, but durable and I would pay a little weight penalty for them. 

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

With pics as well :whistle:

Hopefully after work tonight. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, groupw said:

Shimano WH-RS500. Had planned to do Mavic, but he can’t get any for rim brake at this time. One of the guys at the shop had the Shimano wheels for a project he changed his mind about. Never used. Gave me a good deal. 

Sadly, I would probably start steering clear of Mavic unless they land with a reputable parent company somehow :(

I have a set of Shimano wheels (R600?) from 2006 that sometimes see time on the bike - at least the front one does as it is the front half of my "winter" wheelset.  It has been absolutely trouble free, is pretty light, and I'd recommend it to folks.  I'm guessing the latest Shimano wheels are mostly the same tech still.

• Heart 2

Mine is sucking ass so far.  Our IT guys tried to remotel into my machine to look for a startup issue.

Now it is FUBAR.

Been down since 9:30

Working on my laptop, but it sucks too.

Printer will not work from laptop.

Have to get our quarterly report filed with the SEC 

Boss hired a consultant who is trying to rework our projections to work with GAAP accounting and he is making it way more complicated than it needs to be.

I need a scotch with a scotch chaser.

42 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sadly, I would probably start steering clear of Mavic unless they land with a reputable parent company somehow :(

I have a set of Shimano wheels (R600?) from 2006 that sometimes see time on the bike - at least the front one does as it is the front half of my "winter" wheelset.  It has been absolutely trouble free, is pretty light, and I'd recommend it to folks.  I'm guessing the latest Shimano wheels are mostly the same tech still.

Noted. I put a pair of Aksiums on my previous bike and they were great! I put over 10,000 miles on them. They were trued once. Only needed it once. 

Good reviews on the Shimano wheels. I would say comparable to the Aksium wheels from what I can see. 

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Noted. I put a pair of Aksiums on my previous bike and they were great! I put over 10,000 miles on them. They were trued once. Only needed it once. 

Good reviews on the Shimano wheels. I would say comparable to the Aksium wheels from what I can see. 

I had some wheels built up for my old HT that my cousin rides now.  I had XT hubs put on them and they are great hubs.   I currently am running Shimano GRX wheels on my cross bike and a little early for long term reviews with less than 1,000 miles but they have been awesome so far.

Shimano hubs & wheels aren’t sexy like a lot of other brands but are solid wheels at a hell of a price.  

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Did you get her on the downside?

I can out coast here on any downhill.....it probably has something to do with physics or something with that mass and gravity thing. 

47 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I can out coast here on any downhill.....it probably has something to do with physics or something with that mass and gravity thing. 

On the long hilly organized rides it always the same. These girls that are maybe 100 lbs will pass all the Clydesdales just happily dancing on the petals as they pass us on the climb.  We go over the crest and start down the other side and here are these cute little girls still going about the same speed down the hill that they were going on the way up. On your left——Zoom. Plugging away up the next big climb and here they come.

Im no longer a Clydesdale so I’m not sure how that will play out now if I ever get a chance to do an organized ride again. I think the weight I lost was muscle because my caregiver lifestyle doesn’t get me out much.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Further said:

My day got better. Sent home after about 1/2 an hour at work.

Management moved a guy into our pod, and didn't cross all the t's, so we all got sent for the rest of the day with pay  :hapydance:

I ate a big breakfast & now I'll head out to the garden, might even ride a bike in a little while.

I rode my old mt bike around the yard, back muscles spasmed bad enough to scare me. I see some time on the trainer coming

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Longjohn said:

On the long hilly organized rides it always the same. These girls that are maybe 100 lbs will pass all the Clydesdales just happily dancing on the petals as they pass us on the climb.  We go over the crest and start down the other side and here are these cute little girls still going about the same speed down the hill that they were going on the way up. On your left——Zoom. Plugging away up the next big climb and here they come.

Im no longer a Clydesdale so I’m not sure how that will play out now if I ever get a chance to do an organized ride again. I think the weight I lost was muscle because my caregiver lifestyle doesn’t get me out much.

In the end, unless you finish the ride at the top of a real climb, power will pretty much always win vs weight. 

I very often catch bigger guys, but if we are about to hit a downslope, I never pass them since the advantage swings hugely into their favor. Likewise into a strong headwind.  Pure power is the winner there as well.  I just bide my time until a small incline comes and cruise by.  Otherwise, it's yoyo city. On the positive side, when riding with my wife, I'm the bigger one, so can pass her easily on downhills simple getting into a nice tuck.

• Heart 1

We had 2 guys in our group who were pure power. Both were physical specimens. They would often ride shoulder to shoulder at the front. We only half joked you didn’t have to pedal when drafting behind them. 1 was a decent climber and scary fast on descents! 
A kid in his early 20s at the time couldn’t understand why some of us struggled on hills. He weighed 135. We asked how he would feel about riding up hills with a 50 lb backpack. He declined the offer.