Got the bug....,

Zephyr

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Through his last two years of university my son rode an old beat up cheap hard tail mountain bike back and forth to school so he would not have to pay for daily parking.  At the end it was a write off, and not worth fixing.  He moved to his full time job in North Vancouver and wanted to still ride.  I wouldnt let him take the old bike as it was unsafe to use and not worth fixing up. He got a bike from a co-worker who has several as he likes to rebuild old bikes.  My son snapped the chain on that one (twice) and didnt really fit him.   He was disappointed as he wanted to commute to work when he could.  So I offered to get him a bike to commute on for his Uni grad present.  We looked at a number and he settled on a Giant Revolt gravel bike.  

He has had it two weeks, has ridden almost every day and loves how good a nice ride feels.  Yesterday he did a 40 km loop on his way home, and wants to get proper riding shorts because he sees he will be doing some long rides on the weekends.

He is built for bikes (unlike his dad), he is 5'8, 150lbs and super fit.  I need to get riding because I know he will want to ride and try to drop me

Run Forrest!  :) 

• Haha 2

Yeah I’m sure he’s going to want to put the hurt on dad!    My daughter still gives me shit when we ran/raced a mile one time when she was in HS.  Yeah she beat me but it was close. We also smoked everyone else on her softball team...

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

He is built for bikes (unlike his dad), he is 5'8, 150lbs and super fit.  I need to get riding because I know he will want to ride and try to drop me

Young folks can be a beotch to keep up with. Luckily, with many, they're still figuring it out so you can outwit them :) but it is amazing how much energy young people have and how quick they can recover.  When I ride with a younger buddy of mine, he is always off like a jack rabbit.  I'm like, "Dude, slow it down and let's get warmed up a bit first!"  Usually, though, after an hour or two, they soften up a bit, but even that fades if they keep riding.

There's always a frame pump through the spokes option.  With disc brakes, you can't do the "add a bit of brake rub to the mix" :( that used to be a good way to add some resistance.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

I need to get riding because I know he will want to ride and try to drop me

In bicycling, motocross and cross country racing I gave up on trying to beat my son. But now road racing game on.

• Heart 1

Excellent Zephyr  and for others who have stories for love of biking and other sports.

It's a special pleasure when another family member enjoys cycling..short or long trips. It doesn't matter.

An 18 yr. old niece who has been doing competitive gymnastics (floor and parallel bars) for past few years, did do a fundraising bike ride last yr. 30 km. This May, it's 50 km. with social distancing. It is to raise money for youth mental illness programs and suicide prevention.

Dearie loves seeing videos of his 7 yr. and 5 yrs. grandsons zipping around on their bikes.

• Heart 3