Other stupidheads

12string

Headed out to find gear oil, the road merges from 2 to 1 lane, idiots in an out of state sedan think they're gonna be cool and use the left turn lane to get ahead of that wimpy minivan.  Minivan swerved left to keep them in their place.  A lot of waving and shouting as we waited in the slow single lane, until it opened and they decided to show minivan and tried the shoulder, another cut off.  Next up, they're just gonna use the oncoming lane to force the minivan to pull over.  Which I really wanted to see, cause I had followed the two guys in the minivan across the last parking lot, they were huge.  Sedan got up next to them and finally saw what I had seen, and suddenly behind a minivan was a nice place to drive.

On the way back, I was in the Audi, top down, I just wanted to spin up the turbo so when the light turned green , I punched it.  Got a little over the speed limit and held that while the BMW in the next lane caught up.  I guess he thought I was racing, we slowed but didn't have to come to a stop for the next green, but as he wound down to slow, a cloud came out from his pipes.  He wasn't gonna give up (I wasn't even near him now), so he dropped it a gear and punched it.  Traffic around me all had to stop, there was so much smoke no one could see.

It was a fun trip.  And I found gear oil.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

There are reliable studies out there that show the most efficient way to get through a road merge is for everyone to stay in their lane until the end and then do the "zipper".

The key here is EVERYONE.  If one guy won't let the car next to them merge effortlessly the whole think goes to pieces and then the madness works it's way backwards.  Zippers don't work in real life.

• Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The key here is EVERYONE.  If one guy won't let the car next to them merge effortlessly the whole think goes to pieces and then the madness works it's way backwards.  Zippers don't work in real life.

I still do it, though.  To hell if I'm sitting at the back of a zipper when there is a legal travel lane sitting relatively empty.

Zippers that use turn lanes or shoulders, though, should get the same treatment the minivan gave those azzhats, but the car behind the minivan should not have let them in either.  If you are coming into a legal lane, YOU - not the flowing traffic - are responsible for finding a safe gap to fill.

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Mmmmmm.  computing....................computing..........................insufficient data.

I changed the gear oil in the rear differential in the Element the first time and the Honda garage wanted $80 a quart for it. Screw that, I bought the most expensive grade of synthetic I could find at the auto parts store. After I changed the oil the differential quieted right down and then I realized I just changed my AWD into a 4WD. I drove it like that for about four years and then decided to see if I could get the AWD back. I didn’t expect it to work but I bought Honda AWD differential oil on eBay and it actually did regain the AWD function. I didn’t pay $80 a quart either.

• Heart 1

The boat yard I frequent is run by very friendly people.  This made me feel welcome.  They had 2 quarts of full synthetic 90W marine grade oil.  This made me feel successful.  I don't know how much it was, I didn't ask and never looked at the receipt.  This made me feel like a stupidhead.  I quickly and easily filled the outdrive without spilling (much), this made me feel mechanically inclined.  Then we decided not to go boating after all.  This made me feel disappointed.  The end.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

The boat yard I frequent is run by very friendly people.  This made me feel welcome.  They had 2 quarts of full synthetic 90W marine grade oil.  This made me feel successful.  I don't know how much it was, I didn't ask and never looked at the receipt.  This made me feel like a stupidhead.  I quickly and easily filled the outdrive without spilling (much), this made me feel mechanically inclined.  Then we decided not to go boating after all.  This made me feel disappointed.  The end.

When the word "boat" or "marine" is involved, it is best practice not to ask the price or look at the receipt.

Also remember to plan your trips so there is a bar close to your boat supply.

2 hours ago, 12string said:

We used 90wt in the engine for the Funny car.  Fortunately it was cheap inexpensive when purchased by the barrel in 1970 because it had to be changed out every run.  You have to understand how you can put 8qts in and get 11 back.  There was so much cylinder pressure that the oil was contaminated by unburned fuel.

Oh, to get 90wt to pour we used to have to cook it in it's cans on the exhaust manifold of the tow truck.  We learned how to cook lunch there too.  Hot dog stew wrapped up in tin foil balls.