Got my absentee ballot applicaiton

bikeman564™

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

NJ had a big push for vote by mail so I wound up on it by default. 

And is there a more corrupt and likely to commit fraud than NJ and its inhabitants?  Oh boy is this place in trouble!

If you aren't willing to stand in line with all your COVID spreading neighbors, then you shouldn't count!  :angry:  To emphasize the point that voting should be hard - not easy - for you (and I really mean you), I suggest they shut down a few voting places in your area and even move a few without notice at the last minute!  Let's see how interested you are in voting then, Buster!

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My bet is Bikeman is like WTF are these idiots talking about :D

I will definitely vote from home if possible.  Who likes going to the polls?  It is also true that all the ID that can be used to identify yourself at the polls is generally mailed to you, like driver's license, passports, social security, tax documents, etc., so why would ballots suddenly and uniquely be subject to massive fraud and the others not so much?

If people love America, they would want those too sick and infirm, or the cautious, or whatever, to participate in democracy by voting.  This administration SHOULD welcome it in theory, but I guess they feel fewer voters would favor them somehow.

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

I will definitely vote from home if possible.  Who likes going to the polls?  It is also true that all the ID that can be used to identify yourself at the polls is generally mailed to you, like driver's license, passports, social security, tax documents, etc., so why would ballots suddenly and uniquely be subject to massive fraud and the others not so much?

If people love America, they would want those too sick and infirm, or the cautious, or whatever, to participate in democracy by voting.  This administration SHOULD welcome it in theory, but I guess they feel fewer voters would favor them somehow.

:o  Is that possible?

1 minute ago, smudge said:

You guys are so full of bullshit.

@bikeman564™ if you are happy to vote absentee, you go for it!

We're just following wise advice!  Anyone pushing for this crazy "easy" voting nonsense must be un-American. Consider yourself on the list now!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

And is there a more corrupt and likely to commit fraud than NJ and its inhabitants?  Oh boy is this place in trouble! you. :D

If you aren't willing to stand in line with all your COVID spreading neighbors, then you shouldn't count!  :angry:  To emphasize the point that voting should be hard - not easy - for you (and I really mean you), I suggest they shut down a few voting places in your area and even move a few without notice at the last minute!  Let's see how interested you are in voting then, Buster!

Wow, that buzzing bumblebee avatar is really you. :D

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

You are fortunate to live where you do.  Picture RG's trip to the polls.

Picture RG's trip to the polls if the "other" side gained control of when, where, and how he got to vote.  Ugly, eh.  All of a sudden, three hour local waits become six hour distant waits at difficult to find locations.  Voter turn-out and who they vote for is well documented, and if you control how the opposing team's voting process plays out, you have a huge upper-hand.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's un-American?

Our state votes by mail.  At first I didn't like it.  I thought it was a horrible idea.  How do I know my vote is even being counted or the machine or asshat counting it is counting it correctly?  But then I realized fraud exists everywhere and if you took a look at those volunteers or yesteryear who were running those machines -- egad. I feel quite confident many mistakes were made and many votes didn't get counted or got counted twice or just plain got lost. So basically it's the same whether I cast my ballot by mail or I cast it by going into the booth at my local high school or whatever.  The difference is it's much easier and I can do it on my time and not some narrow window on a Tuesday when I'm going to or getting off work.   And that's huge.

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

if the "other" side gained control of when, where, and how he got to vote

You really could manipulate it in a town like NYC.  You could place polling stations in poor areas far away from subway stations or bus routes and that would impact the election.   You could also put them in easy to reach enclaves of rich white voters.  Mail in ballots would seem to make the most sense for allowing the most voters to actually vote.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Yes but doesn't mean I'd get it off. Actually, I would not...I'd bet on it.

But many would and it would spread the vote out over the day.

Definitely MAIL in voting is superior.  On-line will be even better when combined with mail & in-person. 

If the entire country shifts to vote by mail it's probable that the results of the election will be delayed for weeks if not months and that's before the court cases start.  Most states in which vote by mail is not the current majority of votes have no system in place to even count that many votes, let alone hold recounts for automatic challenges.

Vote by mail would be safer and preferable for parts of the country but it's going to be chaos.

While it's not conclusive, about 50 people who voted in person or who worked in the polling places became infected after the primaries in Minnesota.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/04/28/coronavirus-in-wisconsin-52-cases-of-covid-19-tied-to-in-person-voting/

41 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

If the entire country shifts to vote by mail it's probable that the results of the election will be delayed for weeks if not months and that's before the court cases start.  Most states in which vote by mail is not the current majority of votes have no system in place to even count that many votes, let alone hold recounts for automatic challenges.

Vote by mail would be safer and preferable for parts of the country but it's going to be chaos.

While it's not conclusive, about 50 people who voted in person or who worked in the polling places became infected after the primaries in Minnesota.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/04/28/coronavirus-in-wisconsin-52-cases-of-covid-19-tied-to-in-person-voting/

I think that happened in WI not MN.

The WI Supreme Court overturned the Governor's decision to postpone the election. The justices voted absentee.

I may actually start voting by mail, for convenience as much as anything else. 

But for concerns of fraud, the Heritage Foundation did a study, trying to prove how elections are so fraught with fraud (that was fun).  But all they could come up with was a total of 105 cases of attempted or successful voter fraud.  That's counting a few billion votes.  So, I'm not worried about fraud in paper ballots.   It basically doesn't happen.  However, I DO understand that the world is changing it's ways of doing things.  It's FAR easier to hack an electronic voting machine - from anywhere in the world -  than to hack my paper mailed in ballot.  It's actually already been done, we just couldn't prove votes were changed - because it's easy to mask that.