Floating holiday

Parsnip Totin Jack

HR just announced that because the 4th of July is on a Saturday this year that the holiday will be observed as a floating holiday. The hours can be used any day between July 10 and December 31. Stupidheads. I’m gong to celebrate the 4th on the day after Thanksgiving. I was going to take Canadian Thanksgiving off just out of spite, but that’s on October 12, which we already have off for Columbus Day. Another stupidhead.

Just now, Old No. 7 said:

HR just announced that because the 4th of July is on a Saturday this year that the holiday will be observed as a floating holiday. The hours can be used any day between July 10 and December 31. Stupidheads. I’m gong to celebrate the 4th on the day after Thanksgiving. I was going to take Canadian Thanksgiving off just out of spite, but that’s on October 12, which we already have off for Columbus Day. Another stupidhead.

WTF is wrong with July 3rd? Or 6th?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

WTF is wrong with July 3rd? Or 6th?

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I can’t understand their logic. It’s probably the Federal Reserve rule. The Fed says if they are open, financial institutions must be open to process check clearing. The Fed is open Friday, closed Saturday.

1 minute ago, Old No. 7 said:

I dunno 🤷‍♂️ I can’t understand their logic. It’s probably the Federal Reserve rule. The Fed says if they are open, financial institutions must be open to process check clearing. The Fed is open Friday, closed Saturday.

Weird.  My buddy works at the Fed. I'll have to see if he gets Friday off (like I do):

Dates of Federal Holidays for 2020

• Wednesday, January 1 - New Year’s Day
  • Monday, January 20 - Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Monday, February 17 - Washington’s Birthday
  • Monday, May 25 - Memorial Day
  • Friday, July 3 - Independence Day
  • Monday, September 7 - Labor Day
  • Monday, October 12 - Columbus Day
  • Wednesday, November 11 - Veterans Day
  • Thursday, November 26 - Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday, December 25 - Christmas Day

Observation Days on a Weekend

Federal law establishes these public holidays for Federal employees. When a holiday falls on a weekend, the holiday usually is observed on Monday (if the holiday falls on Sunday) or Friday (if the holiday falls on Saturday).

53 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And WTF kind of business doesn't establish their annual calendar BEFORE the calendar year starts????

We don't.  Jan 1st is a given.  We have Good Friday off.  I set the holiday calendar sometime between Jan 1st and Good Friday.  

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

We don't.  Jan 1st is a given.  We have Good Friday off.  I set the holiday calendar sometime between Jan 1st and Good Friday.  

You might want to work on that for next year. :D It's not like the list varies year-to-year.  What do you learn in the Jan 1 - April 1 window that you didn't know?  Final numbers from year before?  Do you add or take away accordingly?  Seems like the federal list would be a bare minimum for the private sector, and could easily be set and distributed to employees. Then, any new "holidays" could be added later if desired?  Every once in a while our company will add a holiday mid-year, but I still know the regular ones are on the books already.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

You might want to work on that for next year. :D It's not like the list varies year-to-year.  What do you learn in the Jan 1 - April 1 window that you didn't know?  Final numbers from year before?  Do you add or take away accordingly?  Seems like the federal list would be a bare minimum for the private sector, and could easily be set and distributed to employees. Then, any new "holidays" could be added later if desired?  Every once in a while our company will add a holiday mid-year, but I still know the regular ones are on the books already.

No.  It's just when I do it.  It's how i roll.

#screwyouedge

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Your job might be eliminated, take it now or lose it.

3 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

One of the perks we got when I worked for the chemical company was that we got a day off for your birthday.

You didn't have to take of the exact day, but it was amazing how many folks were born the day after Thanksgiving.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, 2Far said:

One of the perks we got when I worked for the chemical company was that we got a day off for your birthday.

You didn't have to take of the exact day, but it was amazing how many folks were born the day after Thanksgiving.

I just took my birthday holiday on Tuesday. Rode part of the C&O 

0CABF2D1-608A-43AC-AD6B-260364A7C8FF.jpeg

636848D0-4713-46FC-B430-175B7F526DE2.jpeg

• Heart 1