Today in Minneapolis

petitepedal

I work 20 blocks south of where the rioting took place..our air is heavy with the smell of burned rubber...One of my friends is about 2 blocks east of ground zero..her power just came back on..she said the air was clearing..I could see smoke rising from the area as I crossed the river..about 15 blocks south of Lake Street. Another friend lives about 5 blocks away from that area...it was pretty quiet in her neighborhood. A church member lives about a 20 minute walk from the area..he walked down that way late yesterday afternoon and took a few photos..left before all hell broke loose.

:(:(:(

• Sad 1

Some people will always strive to take a good cause and turn it into a pile of shit, loot the stores holiday.  Kudos to the man in the video trying to tell the crowd that Auto Zone had nothing to do with the killing.  He failed of course but at least he had the balls to try.

• Heart 4

Just now, BuffJim said:

No excuse for kneeling on a man’s neck for 7 minutes after he was subdued fighting the cops. 

No excuse for rioting. Is this the beginning of an ugly riot season?  I hope not. 

I fear this will be a very bad season for riots.  Folks have been cooped up for weeks because of the virus and there are so many closed shops to burn.

I was cycling around Chicago (south side) with a friend years ago when I lived there.  Black people seemed to be glaring at us and my buddy and I stopped at one point and asked each other if we were noticing the same thing.  Yup, groups of black people looking menacingly at us, it wasn't our individual imagination.  We high-tailed it out of the south side and back to the north side.

Later we found out that the black people were glaring menacingly at us, as that was the day the Rodney King verdict came out.  I think we would have gotten tackled and asses kicked at best if we stayed in the area much longer.  

Anyway, stay out of the line of fire, Petite!

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I was cycling around Chicago (south side) with a friend years ago when I lived there.  Black people seemed to be glaring at us and my buddy and I stopped at one point and asked each other if we were noticing the same thing.  Yup, groups of black people looking menacingly at us, it wasn't our individual imagination.  We high-tailed it out of the south side and back to the north side.

Did you not even BOTHER to listen to the LYRICS?!?!?!?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Some people will always strive to take a good cause and turn it into a pile of shit, loot the stores holiday.  Kudos to the man in the video trying to tell the crowd that Auto Zone had nothing to do with the killing.  He failed of course but at least he had the balls to try.

Good point.  A big hero in Baltimore was the mother who was video'd beating her grown son over the head with an umbrella and telling him to get away from the violence and go home during during the Freddie Grey riots in Baltimore.

Note that after those riots - where all the pharmacies in the low-income Black areas were looted and burned - NONE of the big-mouth politicians who had stirred up the populace did anything to help the elderly in those areas get their prescriptions. It was students at nearby Johns Hopkins Univ. who organized driving, setting up and delivering prescriptions from more distant pharmacies.

There is a primary election in Baltimore on Tuesday and I've been dropping comments in the local online papers to remind people about who did nothing!

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Those riots could have been avoided or at least minimized if the officer doing the kneeling would have been arrested and charged with murder in a timely fashion. They are going to have to charge him anyway.

At this point in the game IMO the riots happen anyway.  No one burning stores is interested in due process.  They are interested in burning stores.  Protesters and looters make up two separate groups with different goals in these events.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

No excuse for kneeling on a man’s neck for 7 minutes after he was subdued fighting the cops. 

No excuse for rioting. Is this the beginning of an ugly riot season?  I hope not. 

I have not seen any video on this but I have a simple suggestion for everyone. 

1. Don't be an instigator with cops and don't escalate the situation.

2. Do exactly as a cop tells you to do.

3. Don't resist in any way, verbally or physically.

4. Don't lip off to the cops. 

5. Save the fight for the judge because you will lose every time in the streets.