Unemployment benefits

Dirtyhip

15 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I got denied a weeks pay in 2009 because I called on the wrong day :wacko: the state still owes me a weeks pay

My wife filed the day she was let go and although missed 3 days of that pay week didn’t receive pro rated benefit for that week as she filed in the same pay period she was paid.   She had our son wait and then file and he received partial benefit for the week he was partially paid.

Yeah it can be confusing...

Just now, ChrisL said:

My wife filed the day she was let go and although missed 3 days of that pay week didn’t receive pro rated benefit for that week as she filed in the same pay period she was paid.   She had our son wait and then file and he received partial benefit for the week he was partially paid.

Yeah it can be confusing...

unless you know how the system works. This was my first time using it. I didn't need the money, but if it was mine to take, I wanted to take it.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't know the rules, but if you were getting unemployment, why use sick pay?

It gets tricky when offices start cutting hours. For example if you had a Drs appt scheduled put in for sick pay on that day,  then get your hours reduced for the whole week yet the company still applies the sick pay you put in for then you got screwed out of the whole week of UI benefit.

• Awesome 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

It gets tricky when offices start cutting hours. For example if you had a Drs appt scheduled put in for sick pay on that day,  then get your hours reduced for the whole week yet the company still applies the sick pay you put in for then you got screwed out of the whole week of UI benefit.

Again I don't know the rules, but if I did, I would retract my requested time off. Depends on the company, but I'd most likely be able to.

12 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I don't know the rules, but if you were getting unemployment, why use sick pay?

Let's say that I had a doc appt scheduled for a day that I work.  My forced time off/furlough is on a different day.  Doc office is inflexible.  Work mandates that I take certain days of furlough. 

I have two choices:

1.  Ignore my health needs and cancel the appt, maintain my benefit for the week

2.  Take care of my health with the appt, and lose my benefit that week.

One hour.  One hour will cost me over $100. 

Another scenario.

I have 3 hours of personal leave to use that I was planning to use.  If I take it, I lose my benefit that week.  If I don't take it, I lose those hours.  

When people are on partial leave, these rules can be troublesome.  

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

THIS!

37 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

If I were to use one hour of sick pay for a doctor appt, I lose my benefit for that entire week.  

What?  Clearly your states unemployment rules are far more draconian that those in effect here.

But in the spirit of fairness I'm not familiar with unemployment used in a situation where you are simply losing hours and not a whole job.  I am familiar with working a part time job and how that effects unemployment pay.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

What?  Clearly your states unemployment rules are far more draconian that those in effect here.

But in the spirit of fairness I'm not familiar with unemployment used in a situation where you are simply losing hours and not a whole job.  I am familiar with working a part time job and how that effects unemployment pay.

I think the challenge folks are having is the integration of "regular" unemployment with the new federal rules that also play into it.  As far as I know, contractors have never been able to claim unemployment, but, at least in VA, they can now.  Not sure how/why that changed, but a 1099 type person can claim "average" wages lost plus the $600 kicker.  Interesting to hear that when talking to folks I know who are 1099s.  I always thought that was a drawback of going the independent contractor route.

15 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

New York has a work share program where people are on the payroll a percentage of their time and on unemployment a percentage of their time--- it gets very complicated.  

• Heart 1

I know that when my last company eliminated my job less than 6 months before my full retirement date that I applied for unemployment and that it kicked in as soon as my separation package ended.  I took a 2 day a week part time job at the hobby shop for less than 8 hours a day.  The money that I made was subtracted from my unemployment pay but at a less than one for one ratio so I was actually making a bit extra for working.  (compared to costs of going to work though not so)  However what I hadn't understood at the time was the my total unemployment budget wasn't impacted so in effect my part time job was extending the time that I could collect for and eventually I'd get all that money back.  I stretched my benefits out long enough to qualify for another round of benefits because my part time income was so low.

I took the money and rode my old company like a brokeback horse and smiled all the way.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think the challenge folks are having is the integration of "regular" unemployment with the new federal rules that also play into it.  As far as I know, contractors have never been able to claim unemployment, but, at least in VA, they can now.  Not sure how/why that changed, but a 1099 type person can claim "average" wages lost plus the $600 kicker.  Interesting to hear that when talking to folks I know who are 1099s.  I always thought that was a drawback of going the independent contractor route.

Part of the CARES act.  States will get reimbursed by the Feds to enroll 1099s in UI the same way they are getting reimbursed for the extra $600 from the Feds.  Same way that 1099's can get involved in PPP through the SBA.

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Part of the CARES act.  States will get reimbursed by the Feds to enroll 1099s in UI the same way they are getting reimbursed for the extra $600 from the Feds.  Same way that 1099's can get involved in PPP through the SBA.

Yeah - "new" sort of stuff that folks familiar with their state's regular unemployment probably would easily understand???

49 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...and you (and DH) are smart folks.  Imagine being one a bit less bright, savvy, and/or world-wise?  I bet they leave quite a bit on the table :(

Thanks, but I am not so sure about that.

If I am so smart, why am I on unemployment?  ;)

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - "new" sort of stuff that folks familiar with their state's regular unemployment probably would easily understand???

The backlog must be incredible across the country.  I'm trying to remember the numbers from yesterday's governors press conference to the state and these are just approximations.  CT has had about 550,000 applications for unemployment as of this week.  They have finally been able to process the applications for about 500,000 let alone pay anyone.  The other 50,000 are still waiting just to get in the line.  Lots more layoffs coming on the first of the month.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

The backlog must be incredible across the country.  I'm trying to remember the numbers from yesterday's governors press conference to the state and these are just approximations.  CT has had about 550,000 applications for unemployment as of this week.  They have finally been able to process the applications for about 500,000 let alone pay anyone.  The other 50,000 are still waiting just to get in the line.  Lots more layoffs coming on the first of the month.

We are 5 weeks behind here.

...and this is why you must have an emergency fund, folks.

3 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I got denied a weeks pay in 2009 because I called on the wrong day :wacko: the state still owes me a weeks pay

The bastards of the world will play games with dates to deny us what we deserve every chance they get.

I used to have an eye exam in early November every year because my eye doctor was getting older and he and his wife went to Florida after Thanksgiving and stayed until Spring.  For DECADES my appointment was at varying dates in November.  But, one year, BCBS said my appointment has only been 364 days since my last one, NOT a year, and therefore they wouldn't pay.  I hit the roof!  There had never been a problem with 350 days to 364 in the past, it was each year in November.  Fortunately, I worked for a large employer and had the companies health department go after them - they finally paid.

When I retired,. if I had done so one the usual day, June 30, the last day of the fiscal year, I would have cut out 25% of the pension that I was able to get by retiring July 1 because a new and improved pension formula went into effect in the new fiscal year.  Of course, the bastards didn't tell me about it but, fortunately, the union did.  I triple-checked every document to make sure my retirement occurred on July 1.

13 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The bastards of the world will play games with dates to deny us what we deserve every chance they get.

I used to have an eye exam in early November every year because my eye doctor was getting older and he and his wife went to Florida after Thanksgiving and stayed until Spring.  For DECADES my appointment was at varying dates in November.  But, one year, BCBS said my appointment has only been 364 days since my last one, NOT a year, and therefore they wouldn't pay.  I hit the roof!  There had never been a problem with 350 days to 364 in the past, it was each year in November.  Fortunately, I worked for a large employer and had the companies health department go after them - they finally paid.

When I retired,. if I had done so one the usual day, June 30, the last day of the fiscal year, I would have cut out 25% of the pension that I was able to get by retiring July 1 because a new and improved pension formula went into effect in the new fiscal year.  Of course, the bastards didn't tell me about it but, fortunately, the union did.  I triple-checked every document to make sure my retirement occurred on July 1.

Yes they will.  The date thing you reference is true, I've experienced this w/ dental insurance. All insurance pays for two cleanings per year 100%. Some need six months between visits, and some you can do two anytime during the year :wacko: Luckily my dentist people know this.

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Yes they will.  The date thing you reference is true, I've experienced this w/ dental insurance. All insurance pays for two cleanings per year 100%. Some need six months between visits, and some you can do two anytime during the year :wacko: Luckily my dentist people know this.

And what is so hard about understanding about 'once a year' or 'twice a year'?  We learn in second grade how many days are in a year.  Rules are rules for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

And what is so hard about understanding about 'once a year' or 'twice a year'?  We learn in second grade how many days are in a year.  Rules are rules for a reason.

Twice a year (and six months apart) is the issue.  It actually would be a bit of a PITA to get denied because someone went 5 months and 29 days after their last appointment and got rejected by insurance :(

• Awesome 1

Just now, Kzoo said:

Once per six months, or twice per year. There's a difference. I didn't say its hard to understand, but you need to know how your plan is structured so you don't get hit w/ a bill.

• Heart 1

Interesting.

Sure, I was unemployed about 3 times during my career.  There is a limit how long one would receive uemployment fund from govn't...for a few months.   As for the loss of health benefit...well sure I would have to cover my own glasses, dental, certain drugs, physio, etc.  

Sure, make stuff like pension..keeping into plan or cashing it out to transfer elsewhere. I had to make those decisions.  

No otherwise get medical as normal..as a Canadian..

Covid situation makes it so much more complicated with some unknowns for some folks especially if the employer will no longer be in business.

They're furloughing us one day a week for 20 weeks.  The company arranged for everyone to get unemployment.  I shouldn't have to do anything until I get the first debit card.  Once I get that then I have to arrange for direct deposit.  

I've been paying in for 35 years.  It will be nice to get some of that money back.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

They're furloughing us one day a week for 20 weeks.  The company arranged for everyone to get unemployment.  I shouldn't have to do anything until I get the first debit card.  Once I get that then I have to arrange for direct deposit.  

I've been paying in for 35 years.  It will be nice to get some of that money back.

Unemployment insurance is not paid by the employee.  It is a tax levied against the employer from the state based on state and federal formulas.

You have never seen a line item on your check stub for UI.

8 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Unemployment insurance is not paid by the employee.  It is a tax levied against the employer from the state based on state and federal formulas.

You have never seen a line item on your check stub for UI.

Put it another way, EMPLOYERS have less to pass on to EMPLOYEES after they get their piece of the pie.  Employees pay it all out of their paychecks - directly or indirectly.  Its part of their "total compensation" one way or another.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Put it another way, EMPLOYERS have less to pass on to EMPLOYEES after they get their piece of the pie.  Employees pay it all out of their paychecks - directly or indirectly.  Its part of their "total compensation" one way or another.

Gosh are you n00b.  Profits man.

6 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm surprised at this.  Here if you make a mistake and miss the call your check is simply rolled over into your next payment.  They aren't out to punish you, they just have a deadline by which time the calls must be made to be incorporated into the check printing time.

A relative applied in March and still hasn't received anything.  I feel sorry for people who don't have a sufficient emergency fund or income from someone else in the family.

53 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm surprised at this.  Here if you make a mistake and miss the call your check is simply rolled over into your next payment.  They aren't out to punish you, they just have a deadline by which time the calls must be made to be incorporated into the check printing time.

I called one day later than I should have. I then wrote a letter and it was also denied.

I never wanted to stay in CT but I got trapped here because womaxx's relatives live her and then houses.  I wanted to move back south.

I have come to realize lately after many discussion on the internet that I am probably very lucky to live here.  We have a reasonably well run state with people who care for each other and play by the rules.  Our government departments run pretty smoothly compared to the stories I hear.  We had an emergency fund to help during the emergency.  We were the last state in the country to begin opening up and that is only under limited rules, masks, limited outside dining only, etc.  Many CT residents complain about the taxes but that is why we have the things we do.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

50 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I never wanted to stay in CT but I got trapped here because womaxx's relatives live her and then houses.  I wanted to move back south.

I have come to realize lately after many discussion on the internet that I am probably very lucky to live here.  We have a reasonably well run state with people who care for each other and play by the rules.  Our government departments run pretty smoothly compared to the stories I hear.  We had an emergency fund to help during the emergency.  We were the last state in the country to begin opening up and that is only under limited rules, masks, limited outside dining only, etc.  Many CT residents complain about the taxes but that is why we have the things we do.

Pretty much the same in southern nj. Lots of services, more cops than you can shake a stick at. In rural pa the state cops have to cover a huge area. 

• Heart 1

Unemployment insurance is administered at the Canadian federal level... better to make it simpler across the country in terms of applying rules, greater chance of consistent interpretations of rules for unemployed who are eligible and set amounts. 

Yup, one's pay cheque automatically has amounts taken for:  unemployment insurance and Canada Pension Plan. I don't begrudge such automatic payments. 

Sure for UI it may never be used if one is employed every year.  But life is full of unknowns,....no matter how one's career/job roles appears to be stable/spectacular. Life is not always fair and it's nice to have some small support temporarily.  The federal govn't also requires reporting on your job search ...and various workshops they may offer in big cities for job searching, interviews.  One should always take advantage of it...for the unemployed, Usually without charge for those who are eligible.