Would you pay $15 for a headband?

Dottleshead

I'm heavier.  When I work out in the yard I sweat.  I sweat a lot and that crap gets in my eyes.  So thanks to @sheep_herder's reinforcement of the idea, my wife picked up some cheap headbands at a local drug store or wherever some time back and they work pretty well.  Do the job anyway.  But they're disgusting in color and I look like something out of a bad Pat Banatar video.  I was thinking I probably should look sexier out there so my wife will want to ravage me after I'm done working in the yard.  I probably should look good for the neighbors too.  I mean a heavier set white guy working out in his yard -- and looking good -- surely would make the lazy envious.  Right?  So I start googling for 'headbands' -- that's right 'headbands' -- and there's surprising a lot of stuff our there with canned reviews.  I ran into these that I thought could possibly work but for $14 bucks?  Wait.  Wut?  $14?!  

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002JS64LU?tag=garagegympower-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

What do you think?  Do you have a favorite headband?  

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I wear a baseball cap.  On the bike, I wear a Headsweats Shorty under my helmet. When I buy new Headsweats, I pick whatever is the cheapest color and can usually get them for under $10.

How does a baseball cap keep sweat out of your eyes?  I have always sweat a lot, so keep head bands at the ready. I'll be wearing one today.

4 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

How does a baseball cap keep sweat out of your eyes?  I have always sweat a lot, so keep head bands at the ready. I'll be wearing one today.

For LIGHT perspiration, the band does an okay job absorbing some sweat.   Playing tennis though or something like that really overwhelms it quickly, but I have a "running" ball cap that is essentially all wicking material so that works better.

5 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

When I play nets, because there is not wind drying effect of skating, I wear these too.  Super cheap, comfortable and last a long time.

If you want to look good for your wife and the neighbours, get yourself a matching speedo and do your yard work wearing only that, your headband, white socks and steel toed boots.

Take pictures and post them here so we can check out your fashion sense

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

When I play nets, because there is not wind drying effect of skating, I wear these too.  Super cheap, comfortable and last a long time.

If you want to look good for your wife and the neighbours, get yourself a matching speedo and do your yard work wearing only that, your headband, white socks and steel toed boots.

Take pictures and post them here so we can check out your fashion sense

Well I'm going to need matching colors.  A standalone speedo isn't going to cut it. So now I have to find a headband and speedos that match??  FML.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For LIGHT perspiration, the band does an okay job absorbing some sweat.   Playing tennis though or something like that really overwhelms it quickly, but I have a "running" ball cap that is essentially all wicking material so that works better.

Back when I ran a lot I had a lightweight wicking cap with a sweat liner made specifically for running.  A regular cotton ball cap wouldn’t work as well for heavy sweat but my running cap did.

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I wear the headsweats cap too. I need full cover out in the sun as I am follically challenged. They keep the sweat out of my eyes pretty good. And I sweat. 

I really hate to consider wearing a special cap doing what I do.  My regular caps get filthy to the point, my wife sometimes refuses to go to town with me unless I wear a different cap.  Yes, I wash them once in a while. I've worn sweatbands for a long time in many conditions. I'll wear one today when feeding with temperature in the 60s and 70s. Sweatbands for me are about as essential as suspenders.:whistle:

• Awesome 1

The safety guy at work used to supply us with these on the press crews. They worked pretty good but after the first couple that he handed to me in person I’d have to go find him to get replacement and I didn’t bother. They had el’cheapo foam headbands in the storeroom that I could just help myself to as many as needed. Usually a fresh one at least daily.

E8B2446F-ABC2-42D5-A4C9-D655722C96E0.thumb.png.6b261ce0587bbda88a1f4a3edae56f02.png

No.  The last time I wore a headband was.......... Let me see.................. never.

Never needed one.  I guess as a finely tuned athlete my head has never been sweaty.  Or my head just doesn't naturally sweat much - your choice.

I wear a ball cap outside and that has always been enough for me.  Running, cycling, working in the hot sun - it's never been an issue for me.  

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

No.  The last time I wore a headband was.......... Let me see.................. never.

Never needed one.  I guess as a finely tuned athlete my head has never been sweaty.  Or my head just doesn't naturally sweat much - your choice.

I wear a ball cap outside and that has always been enough for me.  Running, cycling, working in the hot sun - it's never been an issue for me.  

That is nice and all, but we need a ruling on the image ChrisL posted.  Pretty damn funny for early for POTY.  POTM maybe?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I really hate to consider wearing a special cap doing what I do.  My regular caps get filthy to the point, my wife sometimes refuses to go to town with me unless I wear a different cap.  Yes, I wash them once in a while. I've worn sweatbands for a long time in many conditions. I'll wear one today when feeding with temperature in the 60s and 70s. Sweatbands for me are about as essential as suspenders.:whistle:

It’s not that special. They’re meant to be worn under cycling helmets. They get washed after every use and hung to dry. I have six or seven in the rotation. The full skull cover keeps me from getting weird tanlines on my noggin when I wear a helmet. I have a dozen or so ball caps for wearing around, but for the sweaty stuff I prefer headsweats .

18BB4829-4CD8-4C9B-BE9E-1EF935A43EC6.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

It’s not that special. They’re meant to be worn under cycling helmets. They get washed after every use and hung to dry. I have six or seven in the rotation. The full skull cover keeps me from getting weird tanlines on my noggin when I wear a helmet. I have a dozen or so ball caps for wearing around, but for the sweaty stuff I prefer headsweats .

18BB4829-4CD8-4C9B-BE9E-1EF935A43EC6.jpeg

To each their own. I like a bill to keep the sun out of my eyes. I should wear a hat with a brim, but get tired of fighting it in the wind. Sometimes the wind will blow my cap off my head. Also I wonder how much chaff from the hay I feed would get stuck to and in a Headsweat?

38 minutes ago, jsharr said:

That is nice and all, but we need a ruling on the image ChrisL posted.  Pretty damn funny for early for POTY.  POTM maybe?

Not even.  Now if the other @Chris... would show up and PS a couple famous heads (Couch and RG) on those supporting dancers it may have a chance.  Otherwise it's just more chaff for the POTD nomination.

• Heart 1

No - but I might if UMBC had one in gold like their ball caps instead of only black headbands.  I don't want to add to the heat absorption of my head!

I just need a cheap, not-too-tight terrycloth or cotton sweatband to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

$5.99 at Amazon for the typical claim of about 7.2" x 2" works for me - they're always less than 2" when stretched, but I don't trust the sellers so I check the reviews and look for someone with about my size head (23" circumference) to say it's not too tight and for no "too tight" reviews except from "I've got a big head."

In the past, I've bought the 5-pack for $8.99 from Amazon and they're tight for me - ok for an hour, but I'd worry about getting a headache if I wore them much longer!

I wear a Halo headband.  Most of the time they keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I guess they cost about $15, but last 1 or 2 years (at least in my case, and I wear them 3-5 times a week). 
There were a couple of times in very hot and humid weather when I had to stop and wipe the sweat out of my eyes.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Yeah, I'm not looking for a skull cap either.

30 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I wear a Halo headband.  Most of the time they keep the sweat out of my eyes.  I guess they cost about $15, but last 1 or 2 years (at least in my case, and I wear them 3-5 times a week). 
There were a couple of times in very hot and humid weather when I had to stop and wipe the sweat out of my eyes.

You might like a Headsweats sort of thing, as it  does an excellent job keeping the sweat out of your eyes, provides the sun protection from rays getting in the vents, can be pre-soaked in water to provide additional ride cooling, and then watered throughout a ride to keep a cool head as well.  And they last a decade or more.  Like Old#7, I have a bunch in rotation and they go right into the wash with all my other sweaty stuff after a ride.