Foodie question

Dirtyhip

9 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Leeks?  You will be missing out on flavour but still retain some of the texture.  Do you have chives or green onions growing around?

I do have some chives around.  Also, I have onion powder.  

My green onions are still too small to harvest. 

I guess the deal was that I had leeks and just am trying to find an excuse to cook them up.  I yanked them out of the garden.  I have a ton.  These things root so well.  

1 minute ago, Airehead said:

This could work but don't add or cut down on sugar as leeks have a sweeter taste.  Leeks-- filled with antioxidants and a vitamin powerhouse.  I say use them.  Throw away that onion powder stuff.

I have it for things that will burn if I use regular onion.

Thanks.  

I rarely use sugar in the sauce.

Use the leeks for texture, dice like you would your onion.  Throw in some chives for the onion taste and you may want to have some finely chopped chives on hand to sprinkle when serving in case the onion taste has not come through sufficiently

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Use the leeks for texture, dice like you would your onion.  Throw in some chives for the onion taste and you may want to have some finely chopped chives on hand to sprinkle when serving in case the onion taste has not come through sufficiently

Yeah, pretty much, this.  

I use a dehydrator every fall to make a batch of onions for just such occasions.  :) 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

So, I am out of onion.  I do have some leeks.  I was thinking about substituting fresh leeks for onions in my spaghetti sauce.

It will be more mild in taste.  

:dontknow:

@Randomguy @Wilbur @Allen @Old No. 7 @bikeman564™ @Airehead 

Make sure you wash the sand out of the leeks.  To get the onion taste as well as the texture, add some onion powder if you have any.

I always keep a bottle on my spice shelf in case I'm out of onions or too lazy to dice one.

This mixture of 1 lb ground beef, 1 decent-sized sweet onion 1 red bell pepper and a couple cloves of garlic or a sprinkle of garlic powder is my starting point for spaghetti sauce, ground-beef Stroganoff sauce, chili, Sloppy Joes, and more:

20200526_184736.jpg.78686b179a77f1f0297da4ae3c7f707d.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

It's very hot here at the moment.  Not the time for soup.

This is the opinion of many Americans, soup & hot weather don't mix. In many Asian cultures soups are eaten year round.  

We ate soups year round growing up but admittedly not pea or bean soups which my mom preferred in the winter. Indonesian soups like Sayur and Soto Ayam (Chicken soup) were eaten in the summer and Vietnamese eat Pho year round.

• Heart 2

47 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Never hesitate to take a leek! 

:skipping:Neither Jerry nor longjohn nor any other pun-loving forumite beat me to it. :D And they had 4 hours. :)

But on a sirius note, damn, I should grow them if they are easy!

So easy, they are almost invasive.  

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Make sure you wash the sand out of the leeks.  To get the onion taste as well as the texture, add some onion powder if you have any.

I always keep a bottle on my spice shelf in case I'm out of onions or too lazy to dice one.

I keep a bottle of onion powder for when I need it, but if I’m too lazy to chop an on-yun, I’m too lazy to eat.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

I keep a bottle of onion powder for when I need it, but if I’m too lazy to chop an on-yun, I’m too lazy to eat.

That’s how I feel... No onion powder or the dried minced onion in my cupboard.  I have run out of onion before tho...

My wife used to ask me why I buy so many onions. Now that she’s cooking she gets it.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

This is the opinion of many Americans, soup & hot weather don't mix. In many Asian cultures soups are eaten year round.  

We ate soups year round growing up but admittedly not pea or bean soups which my mom preferred in the winter. Indonesian soups like Sayur and Soto Ayam (Chicken soup) were eaten in the summer and Vietnamese eat Pho year round.

A lot of Asian soups are more consommé like....not pureed veggies and other hearty, happily cream-like textures.

So consommé like soups in hot climate cultures suit very well.

Sure, I grew up having soup sometimes, on a hot summer day. At the time, I occasionally thought it was crazy. But looking back....it's great for needing liquid...in a healthy way if it's consommé based, veggie soup with some healthy good stuff in soup but light on the stomach long term.

The hot soup in hot countries may have a very real water safety perspective:  the liquid has been boiled and if the water quality is not totally great...then having a hot healthy consommé based soup is the next best thing with long noodles, etc.

My father would drink a bowl of hot water on a hot Ontario summer day.... probably because the water quality in his village in China....was not safe unless it was boiled.

All of this no different from people drinking hot coffee on a hot day. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I used leeks and added onion powder, cause I am a savage.  :D

Although, we are growing a bunch of onions, which means I will likely have too much, so I am going to do some dehydrating.  Thanks @Wilbur  So, does it make your house reek for weeks of onions?  

It does smell for a few days.  I don't mind the smell of onions though. :)