So do any of you bastards have any experience with coating concrete?

Ralphie

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Depends on the age and exposure and abuse etc. 

But on the whole, sealed concrete lasts longer, looks better (if done correctly) and is more stain resistant.  I did mine with epoxy and small stones. 

In the thread about cleaning the patio with Olympic Deck Cleaner I just bumped there are some good videos aboot it. And longjohn had good results. 

I once fell in love with with a travertine pool deck. Man, that was nice!

The epoxy and stones sound nice. Pics please, Wilbur!  Did you do it yourself?

4 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

In the thread about cleaning it I just bumped there are some good videos aboot it. And longjohn had good results. 

I once fell in live with with a travertine pool deck. Man, that was nice!

The epoxy and stones sound nice. Pics please, Wilbur!  Did you do it yourself?

No.  It can be done yourself but I didn't have the time back then.  Now that I have time, I have few projects.  It is a conundrum. 

This is the product we used. 

https://www.everlastepoxy.com/everlast-epoxy-floors-installation

I know little about how to apply it or the proper products to use but I once worked in a service station that had the floors done with epoxy and some sort of colored flakes.  What a dream it was to clean up and work on.  To have a work surface that didn't have oil and grime soaked into it was great.  Cleanup at the end of the night shift involved water and a large floor squeegee with an occasional quarter cup of powdered Tide detergent.  That was for all three bays and the front desk

• Heart 2

49 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I know little about how to apply it or the proper products to use but I once worked in a service station that had the floors done with epoxy and some sort of colored flakes.  What a dream it was to clean up and work on.  To have a work surface that didn't have oil and grime soaked into it was great.  Cleanup at the end of the night shift involved water and a large floor squeegee with an occasional quarter cup of powdered Tide detergent.  That was for all three bays and the front desk

I would love that if I could afford a Garage Mahal. :D

I haven't done it myself but I watched them do a lot at work. Surface prep is important, and having a solid surface for the coating to stick to. They use epoxy of some sort, in grey, always grey.

My SIL has the tiny pebble coating in her garage and it is really nice, but it came with the garage so I don't know how it was installed

While this is a Canadian company, their only business is topcoating, primarily concrete but I used their kitchen countertop product. They are NOT a paint company and this is a sideline product offering! I really liked it, very durable...and far cheaper than granite. Have been considering their garage specific for the garage and concrete specific for walkways and driveway.  The only thing I will caution is take their application time with a grain of salt as the fast time is marketing fluff. While this was for their countertop, they apparently leave out the drying times before light sanding between the primer, base and finish coats, and the 'light duty' time before putting heavier appliances back on the countertop. Unlike the competing Rustolium which is epoxy paint and sprinkle paint, this is epoxy with ground rocks. Not certain about Behr formulation at Home Depot, but they carry the 'plus' line of Daich concrete coating, special order only so my military discount doesn't apply. 

https://daichcoatings.com/ I ordered directly from Daich, I think through Ebay as thought it might avoid the import processing but shipping still originated in Canada. They are just across the border from Buffalo, so thought they might have a warehouse for US fulfillment, but no. They might now as see they have expanded international with distributorships. 

NOTE: Was surprised when saw video below that used trowel application when I used a roller. Researching, their RollerRock product is roller applied and they do note that the roller takes slightly more product, applying thicker, than their SpreadStone product. Trowel method doesn't look hard. Their YouTube channel covers each, plus my countertop project.

A word of caution about some of the really cool expensive coatings they have out their now. My son’s pool deck for his inground pool had some kind of fancy coating and it looked real nice and was slip resistant when wet. It started to peel and was horrible to remove. It must have been some kind of epoxy. He and his girls spent a good part of the summer with putty knives and scrapers removing that crap. He put down some kind of mat blocks after he got it all removed. That coating would have probably been fine in a garage but exposed to the weather it didn’t hold up.

Unless you want fancy I would suggest just a concrete sealer. Dump some on the concrete and roll it on with a paint roller. It’s clear so it doesn’t change the color on the patio.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

A word of caution about some of the really cool expensive coatings they have out their now. My son’s pool deck for his inground pool had some kind of fancy coating and it looked real nice and was slip resistant when wet. It started to peel and was horrible to remove. It must have been some kind of epoxy. He and his girls spent a good part of the summer with putty knives and scrapers removing that crap. He put down some kind of mat blocks after he got it all removed. That coating would have probably been fine in a garage but exposed to the weather it didn’t hold up.

Unless you want fancy I would suggest just a concrete sealer. Dump some on the concrete and roll it on with a paint roller. It’s clear so it doesn’t change the color on the patio.

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. 

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was part of the fiasco with Rustolium's deck sealer that was supposed to put a coating over old wood.  It didn't survive the winter related contraction/expansion issues found in the north.  I ended up taking it off again with a hammer and bristle brushes.  I use no Rustolium products now.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I was part of the fiasco with Rustolium's deck sealer that was supposed to put a coating over old wood.  It didn't survive the winter related contraction/expansion issues found in the north.  I ended up taking it off again with a hammer and bristle brushes.  I use no Rustolium products now.

But your deck didn’t rust.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Have you ever thought about taking motorcycles up as a hobby? 

Between my son and I we have 11 motorcycles and only three of them are street legal. 

20200515_161540.thumb.jpg.3a4199335a0c61b6da23000374478ba2.jpg

• Heart 1